PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why NE took Mallet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The value is that we have another viable QB who has poise and Miami doesn't.

And Miami isn't alone... We have two backups who are probably more promising and poised than several starters HC's and GM's on the hot seat are hanging their hats on this season.

Both Mallet and Hoyer looked good last night, I liked the poised for the young man's 1st NFL game.
On the other side, the Jags may have been dominated, but Blaine Gabbert looked good for them as well.

At this point, the reason why mallet was drafted is irrelevant.

As for his future here, that depends on Brady, but the older Brady gets, the more prepared the pats need to be to replace him permanently.

As for how long Brady intends to be here, nobody knows. If he is planning retirement down the road, nobody here knows the details regardless of what they've heard.

Talk of extensions in 2013 are ludicrous

You obviously don't realize it but you just restated Brady will dictate how long Mallett sits...

The staff isn't going to second guess consistent production in the regular season based on any performance outside that arena let alone in practice where Tom (as any starter) will continue to get the lions share of first team reps... Sometimes it's easier to develop lesser talents into quality starters because they are and remain driven... If Mallett realizes his full potential he will probably be a quality starter somewhere, just not necessarily here. If Brady remains healthy (and this OL bodes well in that regard) and motivated and as consistently productive as he has throughout his career for the next 3 seasons, Mallett won't have a chance to pass him on the depth chart. There are things this staff knows (and knows they can trust) about Brady that they wouldn't have any way of knowing about Mallett until he's started for a couple of seasons.

I disagree. Even if there is no significant dropoff in Brady's game over the next 4 years, if the staff thinks Mallett can play at a similar level (and they will have a pretty good idea after 4 years) who do you think will be getting the big check from Mr. Kraft--a 38 year old Brady or a 26 year old Mallett?

On the other side, the Jags may have been dominated, but Blaine Gabbert looked good for them as well.

I agree, if I were a Jax fan I'd be encouraged by Gabbert...if by little else.

Tom will dictate how long he sits. If Brady is still motivated and as consistently productive as I assume he will be over the next couple of seasons, he will get another incremental extension - this was not his to retirement deal ala Manning - and Mallett will move on by 2014. BB didn't draft Mallett to replace Brady. He drafted him because he was there and he could and the alternate options weren't there (another position player he valued or trading the pick for value).
I don't agree with your opinion, but that's OK.

Last edited:
I Love this discussion ... we are talking about our backups when some teams don't even having starting QB's.

Talent wise, I can see why he was rated at the top of the pats QB board. Some of the lower teams, or teams in need of QB's can't take the risks the patriots could (Mallett, Cannon, and to some extent Ridley).

When it came to the third round and Mallett was still available, it was a no brainer to take him and his reputed off field issues. Some players flourish under BB and his system of discipline. A player like Mallett may not survive if he was in South Beach (Miami) because of the environment.

I think this is a great situation for the team to be in and bodes well for the future stability of the franchise.

Mallet showed some raw talent and kinda looked like a very young Brett Favre but Brady even at 38 years old could still be a 25+ TD 3,500+ yerd QB witch would be better numbers then John Elway at 37 and 38 winning back to back SB's

and lets face it the only reason Brett Favre was not in green bay two years ago is because the HC had a nuff of him not showing up to TC the team was working hard as Favre stayed home with he's fam, so if a first round pick SB winning QB like Aaron Rodgers could not beat out a 38 year old Brett Favre who did not give he's team 100% i find it hard to beleve that Mallet will beat out a 38 year old Brady who is all ways the hardest worker on the team... but thats just my opinion

Mallet showed some raw talent and kinda looked like a very young Brett Favre but Brady even at 38 years old could still be a 25+ TD 3,500+ yerd QB witch would be better numbers then John Elway at 37 and 38 winning back to back SB's

and lets face it the only reason Brett Favre was not in green bay two years ago is because the HC had a nuff of him not showing up to TC the team was working hard as Favre stayed home with he's fam, so if a first round pick SB winning QB like Aaron Rodgers could not beat out a 38 year old Brett Favre who did not give he's team 100% i find it hard to beleve that Mallet will beat out a 38 year old Brady who is all ways the hardest worker on the team... but thats just my opinion

Didn't Favre have a huge year in Minn. when Rodgers took over in GB? Yes he did. What Brady is capable of at 38 is only part of the equation--if the staff feels Mallett is not a dropoff, they will not resign Brady at that point. BB has always preferred to get rid of a guy a year or two early then a year or two late

The fanbase reputation precedes itself these days...;)

It’s easy to see Mallett attracting a bigger trade offer than Hoyer in the future, but neither deal would be shocking. It also wouldn’t shock us if some impatient Patriots fans call for Mallett to play sometime in 2012 after a rough Tom Brady game.

After all, there are still some Patriots fans that prefer Drew Bledsoe to Brady. Sad but true.

Patriots showcase their backup quarterbacks | ProFootballTalk

1 ~ #74 in 2011 = c. a 2012 2nd Rounder.

2 ~ A 2012 2nd Rounder = A 2013 1st Rounder.

3 ~ A 2013 1st Rounder = A 2014 1st Rounder AND a 2013 2nd Rounder.

4 ~ A 2013 2nd + a 2014 1st = TWO 2014 1sts.

5 ~ 2 2014 1st Rounders = 2 2014 2nd Rounders + 2 2015 1st Rounders.

6 ~ 2 2014 2nds + 2 2015 1sts = 4 2015 1sts.

7 ~ 4 2015 1sts = 4 2015 2nds + 4 2016 1sts.

8 ~ 4 2015 2nds + 4 2016 1sts = 8 2016 1st Round Draft Picks.

If we follow the Kelvin Kolb TimeLine and trade Mallett for a 2016 2nd Rounder and a Corner Back...I'm afraid I won't be in a mood to rejoice. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I will be forgiven if I consider such a Return on a 2011 early 3rd Rounder to be...WEAK.
jester.gif

Are you saying you can deliver 8 2016 1st RD draft picks for our 2nd round pick next year?

If you can I'm sure Belichick will hire you in a heartbeat.

Till then, your funny math doesn't add up.

What you did was

1 2013 1st RD pick = 2 2014 1st RD picks = 4 2015 1st RD picks = 8 2016 1st RD picks = 16 2017 1st RD picks = 32 2018 1st RD picks.

You are saying that we could have all the 1st rd picks in 2018 for trading last year's 3rd pick.

Your logic reigns supreme!! You should work for the Patriots.

OTG ---
Using your logic, using any pick on a project is ridiculous as you can always roll that pick over into next year. There seems to be an empirically short supply of teams that are willing to trade next year's pick in a higher round for this year's pick. If there were more teams willing to do that, more teams would be trading out to next year instead of just the Patriots.

Furthermore, you are neglecting any value that Mallet would have to the Patriots between now and 2015. If Mallet develops as projected, the Patriots would have a 2011 3rd round pick as their primary back-up in 2012 and they would have condfidence that Mallet would not destroy their season if he had to play four games in 2012. A back-up QB who is not fear-inducing is a very valuable commodity even if he never actually takes a meaningful snap besides on the kick-team. If the Pats get 3 years of good #2 QB work from Mallet, then the pick will have easily been justified.

You geniuses read one HELL of a lot more into my post than I stated.

Allow me to break it down:

1 ~ If you want to argue that drafting Mallett was a good idea because of the combination of his value on the roster AND his future trade value...you've got an Argument, though it's one I'd contend with.

However, that's got NOTHING to do with my post. :snob:

2 ~ IF, on the other hand, you're arguing that drafting him at #74 was a good idea, based solely on the notion of parlaying him, later on, for a Pick or two...then that's a pretty awful idea, now, isn't it?? :rolleyes:

If you don't belong to School of Thought #2 ~ a point of view my post was CLEARLY addressing ~ then you're arguing for no reason at all. :)

and Tom Brady's successor is... with out a doubt. He will only improve

we would never trade this guy as his contract and TFB'spire in same year
we have the best QB to succeed him. 1st game looked FANTASTIC. He is a coaches son and when he keeps his nose clean he will bring the Patriots into a New Era of DOMINANCE

mallett-jags.jpg

Brian Hoyer Wistah has me quoted he will net us a 2nd round DP I said this @ Draft time and the evidence of him being very solid is showing:cool:

We drafted Mallett because it made sense.

- The QB position is most vital to a team and we got the best one in the entire draft (depth)
- Having Mallett than allows us to safely trade Hoyer (cashing in)
- Mallett has the level of talent to be a beast in this league, which means he can be outstanding trade bait (cashing in) or a potential heir (also cashing in)

Grabbing Mallett might eventually be known as one of BB’s best draft moves (grabbing TFB is #1)

Didn't Favre have a huge year in Minn. when Rodgers took over in GB? Yes he did. What Brady is capable of at 38 is only part of the equation--if the staff feels Mallett is not a dropoff, they will not resign Brady at that point. BB has always preferred to get rid of a guy a year or two early then a year or two late

Favre the drama queen forced GB to draft his replacement in 2005 when they did because he had been jerking them around about retirement for a couple of seasons already and was experiencing increasing suckitude. They structured his last deal so they/he would be able to walk away from it in 2006. But the bastid wouldn't do it because of ego. He stunk in 2005 and 2006 but then begged them for one more season. They finally had to move on because while he rebounded and played well in 2007 he was still jerking their chain and they'd invested too heavily in Rodgers as a first rounder to let him stagnate on the bench any longer. And they didn't have any confidence in Brett's ability to consistently perform as he had in 2007 going forward because his track record had already become wildly inconsistent. Not to mention his style, which had always made it difficult to coach the offense from a system standpoint, really grated on a new HC and GM who had not selected him or benefitted from any of his past glories. In fact he'd played a large part in either driving their predecessors out of town or getting them asscanned...

The staff won't know whether or not Mallett reprsents a dropoff until they see him play for a full season or two. Unless Brady is injured, that ain't gonna happen. So I don't think that's a risk/reward calculation BB will make as cavalierly as you obviously would. And Brady isn't a guy, he's the HOF face of the franchise. There are lots of guys Bill is reluctant to move on from even when they aren't pro bowlers any longer. A lot goes into that equation. Brady isn't going to force their hand the way Favre did in GB by threatening retirement, and he has too much competitive pride to play beyond still elite status.

and Tom Brady's successor is... with out a doubt. He will only improve

we would never trade this guy as his contract and TFB'spire in same year
we have the best QB to succeed him. 1st game looked FANTASTIC. He is a coaches son and when he keeps his nose clean he will bring the Patriots into a New Era of DOMINANCE

mallett-jags.jpg

Brian Hoyer Wistah has me quoted he will net us a 2nd round DP I said this @ Draft time and the evidence of him being very solid is showing:cool:

In the real (football) world they don't all always improve...just ask the former members of the KOC fan club. And Mallett was playing against guys who will be flipping burgers next month. Mallett could sustain an injury (or two or three) in the next 2-3 seasons that impacts any chance at progress or potentially renders him next to worthless. And it wouldn't have to even be catestrophic. It would take about that happening to Brady to even give any backup a legitimate shot at replacing him here in the next 5-6 years. There are no givens in football.

The one thing we do know is the Patriots were not looking to draft a replacement for Brady in 2011. They drafted Mallett because he dropped to a point where drafting a first round graded QB whose stock fell due to off field/maturity concerns for the price of a third they couldn't get better value for made sense.

We drafted Mallett because it made sense.

- The QB position is most vital to a team and we got the best one in the entire draft (depth)
- Having Mallett than allows us to safely trade Hoyer (cashing in)
- Mallett has the level of talent to be a beast in this league, which means he can be outstanding trade bait (cashing in) or a potential heir (also cashing in)

Grabbing Mallett might eventually be known as one of BB’s best draft moves (grabbing TFB is #1)

good analysis I see more of an heir to the throne than TradeBait. Wistah has me quoted from last draft that Hoyer will fetch us a 2nd round pick. Hoyer is our bait and Mallett is our QB being groomed by the best in TFB. Mallett will guide us into a new decade of dominance:cool:

Last edited:
In the real (football) world they don't all always improve...just ask the former members of the KOC fan club. And Mallett was playing against guys who will be flipping burgers next month. Mallett could sustain an injury (or two or three) in the next 2-3 seasons that impacts any chance at progress or potentially renders him next to worthless. And it wouldn't have to even be catestrophic. It would take about that happening to Brady to even give any backup a legitimate shot at replacing him here in the next 5-6 years. There are no givens in football.

The one thing we do know is the Patriots were not looking to draft a replacement for Brady in 2011. They drafted Mallett because he dropped to a point where drafting a first round graded QB whose stock fell due to off field/maturity concerns for the price of a third they couldn't get better value for made sense.

They say that "2011 replacement" thing b/c they don't want to get in Brady's head. It would be disrespectful to comeout and say here is Brady's replacement.

I would make v this a hell of alot longer, but g2 go bacxk to work. If Mallett doesnt get those injuries and he does develop into something special how can you not lock him up in 2015?

They say that "2011 replacement" thing b/c they don't want to get in Brady's head. It would be disrespectful to comeout and say here is Brady's replacement.

I would make v this a hell of alot longer, but g2 go bacxk to work. If Mallett doesnt get those injuries and he does develop into something special how can you not lock him up in 2015?

Call me when you've predicted that for a 7th rounder or UDFA in their rookie season...:rolleyes: You are nothing if not way to full of yourself.

What if Mallett and his agent want a big payday sooner or a bigger payday than NE is even willing to consider for a replacement - particularly if Brady is again coming off a pro bowl or MVP contention or winning season? Again, IMO Brady's current deal isn't his last extension here. Look for one in 2013. If not, then you can start penciling in Mallett if he's still here.

Last edited:
Let's not get too high on Mallet. He has plenty to work on. Footwork is still sloppy and that ball becomes a laser every time he gets spooked and that's a great way to turn it over.

Also he has to do a much better job of protecting his receivers. He nearly got Price decapitated when he chucked up that awful leading pass.

His internal game clock is too long.

But his poise is undeniable and he shows many of the elements that you cannot teach. There is certainly much upside to what he demonstrated last night.

Nobody knows what will happen, but you're taking an unecessarily hardline view. Whenever someone brings up Mallett succeeding Brady, you bring up KOC. That's simply ridiculous. KOC was NEVER good. Not even in the pass-happy WAC. KOC was a great ATHLETE in college; Mallett was a great QUARTERBACK in college. Your attempts to compare them are absurd. Also, you're assuming that we're basing this on Mallett's performance last night. To the contrary, since draft day it has been a reasonable view that one day Mallett will replace Brady. Anytime there is a young stud sitting behind a guy in his mid-30s, the guy in his mid-30s should rightfully be watching his back--Joe Montana was not sacred, and neither is Tom Brady. I'm also not buying that the Pats need to watch Mallett start for a season or 2 before they are comfortable with him. Brady started 8 games in 2001 before Drew was medically cleared to play and BB had seen enough. Aaron Rodgers had never played a full season and the Packers had seen enough. Yes, there is a possibility Mallett will not develop well, but practice+preseason+spot starts over 4 years will give the staff plenty to base their decision on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back