PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is everyone assuming 3 QBs? I say cut/trade Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
All those guys have starting experience, lots of games under their belts.

Not all. Not Chase Daniel. He signed that deal after throwing less than 10 passes in 4 years and never starting. But we know the ceiling on all those players as well. No one knows Mallet's ceiling, and that counts for something, if someone takes the chance and offers him $4m.

Not all. Not Chase Daniel. He signed that deal after throwing less than 10 passes in 4 years and never starting. But we know the ceiling on all those players as well. No one knows Mallet's ceiling, and that counts for something, if someone takes the chance and offers him $4m.

Well, that is one guy. Mallet has never shown anything to warrant such high of a salary

Well, that is one guy. Mallet has never shown anything to warrant such high of a salary

Neither did Daniel. And I gave other examples upthread, like Orlovsky. Click on that link, and you'll find the names of other young QBs as well.

Take Matt Moore, for instance. When he signed his deal with the Dolphins, he had started 5 games for the Panthers the previous year. He threw 143 passes, completed 79, for a 55% completion rate. 5 TDs, 10 INTs, 55 QB Rating. 4 fumbles, 2 lost, in 5 games. He was an undrafted FA coming into the league.

What did the Dolphins see in this guy to warrant over $3 million a year (under the older salary cap in 2011 when he signed his deal)?

Last edited:
Over the Cap - 2015 NFL Free Agent Quarterbacks

shows the quarterbacks who like Mallett will be free agents after this season. Not sure why Mallett would get 4M a year when there are other proven QBS who will probably get that or less.

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=QB&Year=2015

shows the quarterbacks who like Mallett will be free agents after this season. Not sure why Mallett would get 4M a year when there are other proven QBS who will probably get that or less.

Mallet is behind Brady and hasn't had a chance to start. For most of the QBs listed, we've seen what they can do already. Mallet is much more in the Chase Daniel or Dan Orlovsky class as young unknowns who haven't gotten the chance. The difference is that Mallet has measurables that Daniel doesn't. Daniel was undrafted.

Brady still has 4 years left on his contract. Garrapolo will get a 4 year deal and being a second Rder he won't have a 5th year option, like Mallet. So if Brady plays pretty much every snap the next 4 years and Jimmy's still here to become a FA, is it possible he signs somewhere else as a FA?

Of course it's possible. For everyone touting him as being groomed as Brady's successor hold your horses. He might just be the bridge to the REAL next guy. Unless Brady up and retires before his contract is thru, which I sincerely doubt, Jimmy is Mallets successor. And that's it. I believe the next full-time starting QB for your NE Patriots is not yet in the NFL. Just my humble opinion.

Brady still has 4 years left on his contract. Garrapolo will get a 4 year deal and being a second Rder he won't have a 5th year option, like Mallet. So if Brady plays pretty much every snap the next 4 years and Jimmy's still here to become a FA, is it possible he signs somewhere else as a FA?

Of course it's possible. For everyone touting him as being groomed as Brady's successor hold your horses. He might just be the bridge to the REAL next guy. Unless Brady up and retires before his contract is thru, which I sincerely doubt, Jimmy is Mallets successor. And that's it. I believe the next full-time starting QB for your NE Patriots is not yet in the NFL. Just my humble opinion.
We all hope that Brady will be our top level starter for another four years, and that his successor is not yet in the NFL. That does not mean that the team should count on that happening. Also, even if Brady is the starter for four years, we need a quality backup for the games he missed during that time. So, yes Polo is Mallett's replacement in 2014 or in 2015. He is also Belichick's insurance policy against Brady not playing for 4 more years.

For many here, the patriots should have had no trouble taking a 6th rounder and groom as Brady's qualified backup. After all, Belichick did it once, so why not again? Belichick has used many strategies for filling the backup spot in the past. Twice he has used a 3rd. This time he used a late second.

The entire argument for Garopollo being drafted this season was to have a player with experience capable of replacing Mallett next season, now you are just plugging a rookie in without experience. We should have just had Mallett play out his contract and draft a player next year if that was our plan, I am sure we could have found a player in the second round that possessed the talent of the great Jimmy Garopollo.
Player with experience? Experience doing what? Holding a clipboard?

If Brady goes down, the season is over. At that point, I'd rather have Garopollo under center getting real experience instead of the guy who is gone next year.

If Brady goes down, the season is over. At that point, I'd rather have Garopollo under center getting real experience instead of the guy who is gone next year.
Honestly I agree with you, I just do not think Belichick sees it the same way. I think he would do what gave him the best chance to win and in 2014 that is Mallett. Plus if Mallett went off they could franchise him and trade him as they did with Cassell.

Not every injury Brady could have is season-ending. If Brady has a three week injury and misses the games against the Vikings, Raiders, and Chiefs, then you want a guy that gives you a chance to win at least 2/3. If Garoppolo isn't that guy but Mallett is, then you're going to want Mallett.

Or, of course, they might need a backup to come in and finish up the AFCCG and nothing else all season. It's not as simple as throwing away the season as soon as Brady gets hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back