PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is everyone assuming 3 QBs? I say cut/trade Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I think there is a good likelihood we don't carry Mallet into the season on the 53. He is only going to be here for one year anyway and if we can't trade him by the end of camp why would we carry him?

Yes he knows the system, yes he he knows how to run the practice. However is that worth a roster spot when we know he will be gone next year? I certainly don't think so. At this point i would look to give Garoppolo as many reps as possible and if Brady goes down what has mallet ever done to show he can carry us to a few wins in his absence. I think we would be better off throwing Garoppolo into the fire and let him sink or swim. It would be good experience for him anyway and he could certainly use it if they want him to be the franchise after Brady retires.

I think there is a good likelihood we don't carry Mallet into the season on the 53. He is only going to be here for one year anyway and if we can't trade him by the end of camp why would we carry him?

Yes he knows the system, yes he he knows how to run the practice. However is that worth a roster spot when we know he will be gone next year? I certainly don't think so. At this point i would look to give Garoppolo as many reps as possible and if Brady goes down what has mallet ever done to show he can carry us to a few wins in his absence. I think we would be better off throwing Garoppolo into the fire and let him sink or swim. It would be good experience for him anyway and he could certainly use it if they want him to be the franchise after Brady retires.

The fact that the Patriots drafted Garoppolo in the first place suggests what BB thinks of the idea of releasing Mallett just because his contact is up next year.

I think we would be better off throwing Garoppolo into the fire and let him sink or swim.
And what if he sinks ? Moving Mallett is fine if JG shows he can run the offense. Until then let's "waste" 1 of 53 roster spots on a guy who at least knows the offense.

I keep wondering when it was that Mallett was supposed to show everyone what he can do? Mallett can only show what he can do if Brady goes down and fortunately for us that hasn't happened. They like Garrapolo and they now have a deep unit at QB for the next season, which isn't a bad spot to be in for any organization.

Cutting him would be stupid. If he leaves next year, at least we have a chance for a compensatory pick.

Trading him is easier said than done, we've all learned that

Cutting him would be stupid. If he leaves next year, at least we have a chance for a compensatory pick.

Trading him is easier said than done, we've all learned that
Let's be clear. Mallett is NOT going to be kept on the roster so that we might get a compensatory pick in 2016. Trading Mallett might be difficult, but a conditional 2016 3rd should be available right now.

The issue is whether we want to carry three quarterbacks. The official answer is yes. The obvious situation is that Belichick is very open to listening to trade options and will be until the trade deadline in October.

Keeping him IF there is a compensatory pick could make sense (IDK how this works).

Beside that; when i say he hasn't shown anything i mean preseason. If you are any good you should have a strong preseason; especially when facing 2nd and 3rd string players. Mallet as far as i remember had 1 impressive preseason game. The rest were average to bad which is enough for me (maybe not you) to indicate he probably is nothing that special.

Also to someone else here. So what if he sinks? If he does, that to me is concerning but you need to give him experience. He is a 2nd round pick and I expect him to play as such and show something. I am not a believer in "but what if he preforms bad and loses his confidence". If he is that emotionally fragile he was never going to make it anyway. Also you can't wrap guys in foam cause you are afraid of them getting injured.

Beside that; when i say he hasn't shown anything i mean preseason. If you are any good you should have a strong preseason; especially when facing 2nd and 3rd string players. Mallet as far as i remember had 1 impressive preseason game. The rest were average to bad which is enough for me (maybe not you) to indicate he probably is nothing that special.
That's because unlike what all of the fans want to see, the Patriots don't use the preseason to show off players. They use preseason games to evaluate and improve the players, which usually means forcing them to do things they're not good at. For Mallett, that means forcing him to throw touch passes that hide how strong his arm is, throws like the short ins to the slot receiver and the passes in the flat to his running back. If the goal were to make Mallett look as good as possible, then they'd have him throwing deep crossers between defenders and deep outs along the sideline, where that arm strength is best put to use. But that's not what Mallett needed to improve on, so they didn't bother wasting his preseason reps by having him to that.

They do the same thing with the OL. You don't waste an OL's preseason pass protection reps by seeing what he can do when he's got an RB chipping or a TE double teaming with him. You use those reps to see how an offensive lineman does one on one, blocking the guy in front of him. It often isn't good, people panic, and then everything is fine once the regular season starts. It makes both the OL and the QB looks worse, though.

Let's be clear. Mallett is NOT going to be kept on the roster so that we might get a compensatory pick in 2016. Trading Mallett might be difficult, but a conditional 2016 3rd should be available right now.

The issue is whether we want to carry three quarterbacks. The official answer is yes. The obvious situation is that Belichick is very open to listening to trade options and will be until the trade deadline in October.

Grow Up.

The obvious answer is not yes, it is NO! As a SB contender, BB has said publically that Mallett is not For Sale. The 2015 season may be different. Grapollo,after a year of training may take his place as a backup QB. Judging by the way BB handled Bernie Kosar, and prepped Brady in 2000, he may even sit TFB down in 2015, or more likely start to have him platoon.

Grow Up.

The obvious answer is not yes, it is NO! As a SB contender, BB has said publically that Mallett is not For Sale. The 2015 season may be different. Grapollo,after a year of training may take his place as a backup QB. Judging by the way BB handled Bernie Kosar, and prepped Brady in 2000, he may even sit TFB down in 2015, or more likely start to have him platoon.

Let's not put Garoppolo in Canton just yet. . . .

Grow Up.

And you believe Belichick's public statements on personnel matter? What a strange idea.

If Garoppolo looks good in TC/preseason, I would hope that Mallet is either traded or cut. I have not been impressed with Mallet at all.

Can we take out the 'O' and just call him Garp?

silliness aside ... no way coming from a small college would he be ready to assume the #2 role ...
Throwing the ball is a world away from dissecting the defense in front of you pre snap.

if we were to get a good offer for Mallet I would assume we sign a vet ...

I'm fully expecting Garoppolo to come down with season ending IR turf toe this fall ...

Why would they cut a future multiple time All-Pro and the obvious successor to Brady as the G.O.A.T.?

silliness aside ... no way coming from a small college would he be ready to assume the #2 role ...
Throwing the ball is a world away from dissecting the defense in front of you pre snap.

I'm fully expecting Garoppolo to come down with season ending IR turf toe this fall ...
No! We cannot call him "Garp"!

T. S. Garp: "We'll take the house. Honey, the chances of another plane hitting this house are astronomical. It's been pre-disastered. We're going to be safe here."

garp 2.jpg

How about calling him "Polo".

No! We cannot call him "Garp"!

T. S. Garp: "We'll take the house. Honey, the chances of another plane hitting this house are astronomical. It's been pre-disastered. We're going to be safe here."

View attachment 6548
No this is Garp ...

48660.jpg

If he goes on IR, then by rule he can't practice. That's not going to help him.

Brady looked bad in preseason. Cassel looked bad in preseason. Mallet looked bad in preseason. Garoppolo will probably look bad in preseason. In Brady's last preseason game of the 2001 Super Bowl year, he threw four interceptions, as Bledsoe's backup. He had two non-descript games in which he did nothing, and one game (his best) in which he was 11-17 for 122 yards.

Really, what does QB play in preseason tell us? Practically nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes