PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is everyone assuming 3 QBs? I say cut/trade Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be foolish to release Ryan Mallett, I mean this is the same player that a week ago posters were say was worth the #33 pick in the draft and referencing articles that said Belichick had turned down second round picks in the past for him. Now we are going to cut this player because we want the extra roster spot for the likes of Jake Bequette.

As far as there being a competition between Mallett and Garopollo, I certainly hope Garopollo can win that battle handily because if he cannot beat out the player we should cut right off the bat I would not hang my hat on him replacing the GOAT QB in 3-4 years. Belichick and McDaniels are great coaches but that is some ambitious development you are expecting.

I think they are going to cut Mallett. However, I absolutely agree there is a possibility they keep him and go with 3 QB's.

However, if they keep Mallett, it will be because he is needed in the role of backup QB. The Patriots are not going to waste a valuable roster spot on someone just so they can pick up a 6th round compensatory pick in the 2016 draft.
The entire argument for Garopollo being drafted this season was to have a player with experience capable of replacing Mallett next season, now you are just plugging a rookie in without experience. We should have just had Mallett play out his contract and draft a player next year if that was our plan, I am sure we could have found a player in the second round that possessed the talent of the great Jimmy Garopollo.

This seems pretty simple. Mallet does not have what it takes or BB would be restructuring his contract. He is below average from pre-season games. Can't even hit on a short or intermediate pass with any consistency. Gets sacked more often than not, because he is not a quick enough thinker. Think again, If we think we are going to let him play to his strengths all the time which is the deep ball. They will pin their ears back on him and not give him enough time to do that. He plays through training camp. Giving Jimmy G and himself most of the reps, preserving Brady. At the end of camp he goes one way or another. Jimmy G will not be IR'd, he needs the practice time. We went with 2 QB's with Hoyer and Mallet as rookies, we will do the same with Jimmy G. If JG does not have what it takes in a year or so, we will draft another and do this all over again. As BB said. Better to be earlier than later on this. He has 3-4 years to find Brady's successor.
Restructuring his contract, yes because Mallett wants to be paid backup money and not have an opportunity to start a game until he is 31-years-old? I am not sure if you know that players actually make the final decision on contracts, Belichick does not just say I think you got what it takes and the player restructures. There is no reason for Mallett to resign here, he would be stupid to in fact.

Let's not put Garoppolo in Canton just yet. . . .
I think believing he will ever start a football game for the Patriots is ambitious. He is under contract for four seasons as is Brady, and if the next four years are anything like the last Garopollo is slated to throw 3-4 regular season passes before his contract expires.

If he goes on IR, then by rule he can't practice. That's not going to help him.
Garopollo does not need to practice, the kid is the franchise, trade Brady, cut Mallett, JAG does not even need a backup.

The problem with a lot of those mediocre teams you mention compared to, say, the Seahawks is that they kept throwing out the same mediocre guy - Gabbert, Losman, Fitzpatrick - for a couple years hoping he would develop (I would also argue that the Jaguars had a few years of sustained success with Garrard at the helm, he just fell off a cliff after his injury).

The Seahawks brought in a bunch of possible starters for a relative bargain and tried them all out before settling on Wilson. The Eagles had Vick to steady the position while they tried out Kolb, Foles, and Barkley.

The Browns did the right thing giving up on McCoy and Weeden relatively quickly and moving onto the next one because those guys were clearly not it.

It's not easy to find a QB who can win a Super Bowl, but the way to do it is quantity rather than sticking with "one guy."

That's the thing though, mediocre teams wait until their hand is forced, then have to hope for the best. There's an air of desperation to them.

The Seahawks, maybe it's as you say. $26M for 3 years isn't a relative bargain for an unproven starter but not unreasonable either. But the Vick contract was $100M for 6 years, kind of a big deal.

And you might give the Browns some points for giving up early, but the Weeden pick was forced. And there are also QBs who develop after several years. Drew Brees didn't do much in his first 3 seasons, going 10-17 with a 28 TD-31 INT ratio. It wasn't until they drafted Philip Rivers in the 1st that Brees blossomed. Alex Smith took quite some time before becoming a capable starter, hampered by multiple changes in OCs and systems in his first few seasons.

I'm not suggesting Weeden or McCoy were going to amount to anything mind you, just that QBs are tough to develop, and desperation doesn't help. Sure, the Colts were able to go from Manning to Luck, but it took a 2-14 season where lots of people got fired and quite a bit of luck (no pun intended) for them to do so. Quite frankly, good QBs are hard to come by, and if we got one in the second round a bit early, I'm okay with that.

Point being. If the Pats thought much of Mallet being the future there would be negotiations one way or another like with Rogers.They also would not have drafted a QB in the second round. They took a flyer on Mallet. They also are not impressed. He is history. A vet backup released after training camp would be a better option this year if JG is progressing slowly. Hope the trade is still alive. Our best option

The entire argument for Garopollo being drafted this season was to have a player with experience capable of replacing Mallett next season, now you are just plugging a rookie in without experience. We should have just had Mallett play out his contract and draft a player next year if that was our plan, I am sure we could have found a player in the second round that possessed the talent of the great Jimmy Garopollo.
Oh yeah? What makes you so sure of that? What QB is expected to come out next year which will likely be available in the draft in the 2nd round that we could have grabbed?

Because the salary he would get and the playing time he would have would merit a low compensatory pick.
Yes I have. The overwhelming majority of the time, they're low dollar amounts.
That contract is widely seen as having been a horrible signing by the Texans. To take an outlier seen as a horrible decision and presume Mallett can do just as well is silly.
I know I sure do.

Look around the league at the contracts of backup NFL QBs.

I'm fully expecting Garoppolo to come down with season ending IR turf toe this fall ...

He would in effect be agreeing to lowering his salary for all 4 years of his contract. Games on IR do not count in the credited season calculations. The number of credited season a player has determines their minimum salary for that season

The Patriots placed about 15 rookies on IR before the start of the 2013 regular season. Only 1 is on the team now. A pretty telling stat.

Point being. If the Pats thought much of Mallet being the future there would be negotiations one way or another like with Rogers.They also would not have drafted a QB in the second round. They took a flyer on Mallet. They also are not impressed. He is history. A vet backup released after training camp would be a better option this year if JG is progressing slowly. Hope the trade is still alive. Our best option

Brady is here another 3-4 years. If Mallet had signed a backup contract with the Patriots of say $3.5 to 4.5 million to stick around, he'd be 29 or 30 when Brady retired. By the time he had a stellar year at the age of 30, he might be into his 3rd contract. At short money.

The Patriots rightly understood that there is no way a QB with 4 backup years under his belt is going to stick around another 4 years so he can spend his first 8 years in the league as a backup. If you were mallet, you'd leave the Patriots for a chance to compete for a start spot instead of spending 7 or 8 years of your career on the bench.

Look at this link: http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=QB

Look at Matt Cassell's money, Matt Moore's, Michael Vick, Chad Henne, Matt Hasselbeck, Ryan Fitzpatick, Kyle Orton, Chase Daniel, etc. Backup NFL QBs earn 3.5 to 4.5m a year. That's the going rate. Likely higher in the future with the new higher salary cap.

How many starts has Mallett made in the regular season? Chase Daniel who made 1 start averages 3.33 million with $3.8m due the last year of his 3-year contract.

I believe Mallet stays here and becomes the next Steve Young.;)

He would in effect be agreeing to lowering his salary for all 4 years of his contract. Games on IR do not count in the credited season calculations. The number of credited season a player has determines their minimum salary for that season

The Patriots placed about 15 rookies on IR before the start of the 2013 regular season. Only 1 is on the team now. A pretty telling stat.
This stat should be a stickie. We DO NOT red shirt rookies. Non-1st round rookies who spend their rookie seasons on IR rarely amount to anything.

How many starts has Mallett made in the regular season? Chase Daniel who made 1 start averages 3.33 million with $3.8m due the last year of his 3-year contract.

Daniel though is a 6 foot guy who was not even drafted. I'm not sure anyone ever had expectations of him becoming a starting NFL QB. Mallet, however, is a different story. I think the fact that Daniel averages 3.33m a year, having thrown LESS than 10 passes during his first 4 years in the NFL, speaks to Mallet getting more, especially because of the new salary cap.

No the argument for drafting Garappolo is that the Patriots need to groom the eventual replacement for Brady. It really has nothing to do with Mallet.

I was never one who thought Mallet was worth that much. I would not put much stock into the opinions of posters on a message board, these are the same people who though Rohan Davey would be worth a 3rd round or 4th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back