Josh Barrett
Sergio Brown
James Ihedigbo
Eric Kettani
Spencer Larsen
Visanthe Schiancoe
Trevor Scott
Gerard Warren

You would need two Demps to replace Warren :)

No I will be ok... I don't think either player is going to define the 2012 season..

Do you have anyone else you see being cut? Since you are so sure my suggestion of Woodhead is not realistic I assume you have several other suggestions for roster spots and cuts...?? You obviously just ran out of space to write you suggestions, right?

Your original thought read better this morning as the Patriots signed Demps and the writer mentioned the Jets were hot for him. Still, BB does not cut a productive player for an unknown product. Secondly, I don't think he dwells too much on what other teams might do based on his decisions.
I don't have any suggestions as you went out on a limb and that brought my reply as well as a "few" others.

I find two FBs a little hard to project. Three RBs complimented by a FB sounds right and goes with the trend of McDaniels in NE.

It's hard to say Demps will 'replace' anyone and assume this guy is even a lock. However, what I would say is he and Woodhead are in direct competition with each other. I just don't see room for both.

Yeah, youre probably right. If the FB gets hurt, you could always use a LB or OL to block.

Woody would go straight back to Jersey if cut. I dont see Woody going anywhere. Though Faulk got hurt, the Pats had both Woody and him on the roster and theyre similar players.

The bottom line is that NE needs a KR that can make an impact.

Yeah, youre probably right. If the FB gets hurt, you could always use a LB or OL to block.

Woody would go straight back to Jersey if cut. I dont see Woody going anywhere. Though Faulk got hurt, the Pats had both Woody and him on the roster and theyre similar players.

The bottom line is that NE needs a KR that can make an impact.

Woodhead would be picked up immediately.

Since Demps is so far behind by missing rookie camp, OTA's and TC his performance in drills will be critical in determining how the coaches evaluate is he gets a roster spot. This year he will have to earn a spot as a KR.

Good theory except for one thing.
Teams can't practice or workout guys on PUP.
(I could be wrong - I don't often wonder if an injured guy is practicing.)

And yes, I understand he wouldn't "really" be injured. I know it has been done before, but the player must play along. If he's "pulled a hammy" a youtube video of him running sprints or TMZ finding the letter explaining to his mother he is really OK gets Roger involved. And if he's pissed by going on PUP instead of getting a shot -or released to get a shot elsewhere- he could "accidentally" tweet that.

What draft pick do you think Roger fines the team if he gets evidence of a fake injury - remember it is not the Jets doing it.
He would get injured prior to taking the field for practice. Like perhaps during the conditioning run when he pulls up lame.

Yes, the player would have to be in on this obviously. My thinking is along the lines of this. BB pulls the kid aside and says something to the effect "look Demps I have been at this longer than your mother has been alive. I have 5 super bowl rings to show for my efforts and have taught kids like you how to become hall of fame players in the process. I want to teach you how to become a pro bowl football player and not another sprinter turned Renaldo Neamiah. But you have to work with me on this one, OK? This situation is such that we don't have enough time to properly acclimate you into this offense so we have to adjust the timeframe some. We are going to do this by placing you on PUP list where we will be afforded some extra time to get you going properly in order to make your transition from track to the field as effective as possible. Then I can make this work for the mutual benefit of both! Now go see coach Fears he'll set things up for you"

Stop. Just Stop.
Demps would be a fool with his career turning down ~5 other suitors who intend to play him to sign with the Pats just to go on PUP and not see the field until mid September, not that it will happen.

Last edited:
Stop. Just Stop.
Demps would be a fool with his career turning down ~5 other suitors who intend to play him to sign with the Pats just to go on PUP and not see the field until mid September, not that it will happen.
Think of it as a time to article or apprentice to better learn ones craft in order to be effective in ones chosen field. Happens all the time.

Think of it as a time to article or apprentice to better learn ones craft in order to be effective in ones chosen field. Happens all the time.

He doesn't need the PUP for that. You can install him as a kick returner/gunner right away, and gradually give him more snaps on the offense if he picks things up.

How about Mallet?

Reports are that hes looked shaky. I know its only year 2, but chances of him playing a snap in the reg season are slim.

IMO, the Pats will carry 2 FBs besides Vereen, Ridley, Woody for sure.

No chance the Pats carry two FB's. Better chance it's 0 then 2. Tough to make the team from the trainers table. Perhaps later in the season one of them comes off to replace an injured/ineffective RB. Not two.

Bill Belichick can start by cutting the Three Stooges on the New England Patriots defense:

Barrett
Ihedigbo
Brown

Ihedigbo scares me the most. He reminds me a little of one of the Pats lousy first round picks, Tebucky Jones.

Obviously Dan Connolly, as the Pats best KR has the most reason to be worried......

Anyway, as far as the idea that Woodhead may be expendable, how about a little outside the box thinking? What would it look like if the Pats tried using Woodhead and Vereen to try and combine to make a reasonable facsimile of replacing Welker if he leaves next year as a FA?

It would save a roster spot, and I think it would be fun to watch. Just a thought.

Awesome idea, they should also use Edelman and Hoyer to replace Brady and trade him for a 6th round pick.

Since Demps is so far behind by missing rookie camp, OTA's and TC his performance in drills will be critical in determining how the coaches evaluate is he gets a roster spot. This year he will have to earn a spot as a KR.
Demps is a lock to get a roster spot no matter what he does.

This is nonsense. Even if Demps is a top kick returners, Belichick has to decide whether Demps is worth a roster spot.

Per Reiss
"One of the knocks on Demps is ball security, as he fumbled 11 times in 424 touches at Florida. But when he's held on to the ball, the results have been dynamic."

Demps is a lock to get a roster spot no matter what he does.

This is nonsense. Even if Demps is a top kick returners, Belichick has to decide whether Demps is worth a roster spot.

Per Reiss
"One of the knocks on Demps is ball security, as he fumbled 11 times in 424 touches at Florida. But when he's held on to the ball, the results have been dynamic."
Exactly, and as stated in another thread, he must make the roster first for this thread to be meaningful. The Pats likely did not commit much to learn a lot about this player in a very short time frame.

The more I consider this, the more I think that Demps and Bolden are competing for a roster spot. I think that we underestimate how much likes to have a fullback on the team.

The more I consider this, the more I think that Demps and Bolden are competing for a roster spot. I think that we underestimate how much likes to have a fullback on the team.

You really believe they won the recruiting battle for Demps by telling him he would be battling for the last RB position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST