PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whose roster spot does Jeff Demps take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And by sticking him on PUP, how on earth do we figure out what we've got? I expect him to see some action in preseason and a final roster decision will be made before the regular season.

If Demps is healthy and doesn't fit in, he will be cut so he can get work with another team. I doubt he's signing on the dotted line for a promise to get a shot to be on the PUP list.
Actually, sticking him on PUP is a way to find out what we've got in him .... while not having to cut another guy in the process.

By sticking him on PUP, the Pats can get him into his playbook and well into study mode for the 1st 6 weeks of the season. Then, they can bring him along at their leisure for another 5 weeks in order to see what they got.

It seems this is a much better way to go about things than making what is likely a hasty decision on the guy. Not to mention losing out on another guy that gets cut in order to see what Demps is all about.

As for him not wanting to get placed on PUP .... he's an UDFA not a top ranked guy. He should be lucky the Pats offered him an opportunity to try out for a spot on a soon to be SB winning team.

29,416 posts????????????????????

holy Jersey swamp gas, Deus....let's argue about something...anything...I want to see 30,000 by midnight...we'll get you a check to commemorate the event....

7664.jpg

Has anyone on this thread actually argued that Demps should take over Woodhead's role in the offense this season? Pretty sure that nobody's said that.
Just go back to the fourth post of the thread with Sciz, who answered the question of who's spot does Demps takes with.
Nowhere do I say that Demps should get get Woodhead's offensive role. I want Vereen to do that.

I went back to update my 53-man to make room for Demps. Actually, it was pretty easy. Losing Fletcher really loosens things up in the front seven, especially since I'm willing to cut Scott. I also passed on Justin Francis, Brandon Bolden. But if those guys are binkies for you, you can choose Cole or Larsen or Branch or Brace.

Plenty of bubble players who we can cut without doing as much damage is releasing Woodhead.

QB (3) Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett
RB (5) Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Jeff Demps, Spencer Larsen
WR (7) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth, Julian Edelman, Deion Branch, Matthew Slater
TE (2) Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez
C (2) Ryan Wendell, Dan Koppen
G (3) Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Brian Waters
T (4) Nate Solder, Marcus Cannon, Sebastian Vollmer, Nick McDonald
DE (4) Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham, Jake Bequette
DT (5) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Jonathan Fanene, Brandon Deaderick, Ron Brace
ILB(3) Brandon Spikes, Donta Hightower, Niko Koutouvides
OLB(3) Jerod Mayo, Bobby Carpenter, Jeff Tarpinian
CB (5) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Sterling Moore, Marquice Cole
SS (2) Patrick Chung, Nate Ebner
FS (2) Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson
ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Danny Aiken, Zoltan Mesko

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2012
What has Spencer "where's the practice field?" Larsen done in training camp to justify a roster spot?

What has Spencer "where's the practice field?" Larsen done in training camp to justify a roster spot?

he must be a big Spencer Tracy fan...

i'd be surprised if we stuck with only 2 TEs. I'm also holding out hope for Dennard.

I went back to update my 53-man to make room for Demps. Actually, it was pretty easy. Losing Fletcher really loosens things up in the front seven, especially since I'm willing to cut Scott. I also passed on Justin Francis, Brandon Bolden. But if those guys are binkies for you, you can choose Cole or Larsen or Branch or Brace.

Rook, you'd keep both Koutouvides and Tarpinian? I can't see more than one spot there.

i'd be surprised if we stuck with only 2 TEs. I'm also holding out hope for Dennard.

Now I thought it was agreed by all, before the start of camp even, that the Pats were definitely keeping three and probably four TE's...and someone thinks the roster will only carry two??

these roster guessing extravaganzas are so weird...I wish I could just fall asleep and wake up to the final roster on opening day and save myself the aggravation

By sticking him on PUP, the Pats can get him into his playbook and well into study mode for the 1st 6 weeks of the season. Then, they can bring him along at their leisure for another 5 weeks in order to see what they got.

You really can't just "stick" any healthy player you like on PUP. They have to fail a physical/conditioning test.

You really can't just "stick" any healthy player you like on PUP. They have to fail a physical/conditioning test.

But you can for something like painful eyebrow spasms. Those could even land a player on season-ending IR.

Last edited:
29,416 posts????????????????????

holy Jersey swamp gas, Deus....let's argue about something...anything...I want to see 30,000 by midnight...we'll get you a check to commemorate the event....

7664.jpg

I'll rack up the post numbers during the game threads.

Sure you can. Have him strain a groin or twist a knee or something when testing. Whatever you can dream up.

Just go back to the fourth post of the thread with Sciz, who answered the question of who's spot does Demps takes with.

Read it again. That isn't even remotely what Sciz said. He anticipates Demps taking Woodhead's ST role, and Vereen taking Woodhead's role in the offense

That was just the first page. If you go further you will see more. At #18 The irrepressible BBass offers this "gem"

Same thing - BBass made essentially the same point as Sciz - pointed out that we could field a full and diverse stable of RBs with the other guys that we have, and with Demps he can't supplement his value by returning kicks as well. BBass said nothing in that post about Demps replacing Woodhead in a RB capacity.

I could go on, but there are currently 133 posts in this thread plus 2 separate threads of rampant stupidity on this subject including freakin' rumors from Incarcerated Bob :rolleyes: so I think I made my point.

LOVE the signing. HATE the stupid, unfounded, and illogical speculation.

Reading is fundamental, Ken. So let's try this again: please provide an example of someone actually stating what you're railing against- that Demps will take over Woodhead's role in the offense (not special teams) this season?

Last edited:
Demps could supplant any number of potential players on the 53 man roster:

Josh Barrett
Sergio Brown
James Ihedigbo
Eric Kettani
Spencer Larsen
Visanthe Schiancoe
Trevor Scott
Gerard Warren

I would love to revisit this thread should Demps not even make the cut. You should know by now that with BB as the coach, no one is guaranteed a roster spot.

How about Mallet?

Reports are that hes looked shaky. I know its only year 2, but chances of him playing a snap in the reg season are slim.

IMO, the Pats will carry 2 FBs besides Vereen, Ridley, Woody for sure.

How about Mallet?

Reports are that hes looked shaky. I know its only year 2, but chances of him playing a snap in the reg season are slim.

IMO, the Pats will carry 2 FBs besides Vereen, Ridley, Woody for sure.

I find two FBs a little hard to project. Three RBs complimented by a FB sounds right and goes with the trend of McDaniels in NE.

It's hard to say Demps will 'replace' anyone and assume this guy is even a lock. However, what I would say is he and Woodhead are in direct competition with each other. I just don't see room for both.

As for the future of Sergio Brown, his future employer will be McDonalds as in "Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?"

I pray you are wrong. I would like to see him start for the Jets.

Actually, sticking him on PUP is a way to find out what we've got in him .... while not having to cut another guy in the process.

It seems this is a much better way to go about things than making what is likely a hasty decision on the guy. Not to mention losing out on another guy that gets cut in order to see what Demps is all about.

As for him not wanting to get placed on PUP .... he's an UDFA not a top ranked guy. He should be lucky the Pats offered him an opportunity to try out for a spot on a soon to be SB winning team.
Good theory except for one thing.
Teams can't practice or workout guys on PUP.
(I could be wrong - I don't often wonder if an injured guy is practicing.)

And yes, I understand he wouldn't "really" be injured. I know it has been done before, but the player must play along. If he's "pulled a hammy" a youtube video of him running sprints or TMZ finding the letter explaining to his mother he is really OK gets Roger involved. And if he's pissed by going on PUP instead of getting a shot -or released to get a shot elsewhere- he could "accidentally" tweet that.

What draft pick do you think Roger fines the team if he gets evidence of a fake injury - remember it is not the Jets doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back