PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whose roster spot does Jeff Demps take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the title of this one, must of been made by a disgruntled jet fan:singing:
Jeff Demps Highlights - The Patriots Suck : ( - YouTube
nice highlight vid

I love this response by jets fan..check this out !!

SufferingJetsFan
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets1Zero

I'm not mad we didn't get him, I'm just agrivated that literally every free agent is picked up by the patriots. How do they have the cap space for all the acquisitions they make?

Exactly what I was thinking. How is that even possible?? Drives me crazy.

I'm having nightmares of Demps running backwards towards the endzone and Eric Smith still can't catch him.

Precious....:D

I love this response by jets fan..check this out !!

SufferingJetsFan
Totally Addicted

I'm having nightmares of Demps running backwards towards the endzone and Eric Smith still can't catch him. [/I]__________________
YES! SHOTTY IS GONE!!!!!

Precious....:D

Admitedly, we don't have a WR who can catch Revis back peddling.

:)

Belichick will do what is best for the team. We'll see what "guarantees" are in Demps' contract.

You really believe they won the recruiting battle for Demps by telling him he would be battling for the last RB position?

answers to what?

I posted that Demps is competing with Bolden for a roster spot. Demps will likely get that spot.

We certainly don't know what Demps was told about his role. I don't think that ever is available to us. The way we understand the attitude of the team is by the contract given (length, value and guarantees).

Mg, that's a non answer.

answers to what?

I posted that Demps is competing with Bolden for a roster spot. Demps will likely get that spot.

We certainly don't know what Demps was told about his role. I don't think that ever is available to us. The way we understand the attitude of the team is by the contract given (length, value and guarantees).

We know they beat out a number of other teams that really wanted him and that Belichick made it clear KR was iin need of an upgrade. There are a number of ways they can go with the final roster and it's not necessarily a given that he will be competing with a RB for the final spot, and in all likelihood he will be competing with end of the roster ST players for a spot. My thinking on it is that Belichick will keep Edelman as their 5th CB and PR and will let Dennard go and bring him back as a PS player. Despite his high grade prior to the draft no one touched him and he hasn't shown up in camp, so it is unlikely he would be signed by another team and the Patriots would have the clear inside track for him as a PS player.

answers to what?

I don't know who's roster spot he might take, but according to Reiss, the Pats signed this kid to a 3 year deal.

Looking closer at Demps signing - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
I also would keep Edelman instead of Dennard. But then, I don't expect Dennard to get a roster spot if Ebner has one.

We know they beat out a number of other teams that really wanted him and that Belichick made it clear KR was iin need of an upgrade. There are a number of ways they can go with the final roster and it's not necessarily a given that he will be competing with a RB for the final spot, and in all likelihood he will be competing with end of the roster ST players for a spot. My thinking on it is that Belichick will keep Edelman as their 5th CB and PR and will let Dennard go and bring him back as a PS player. Despite his high grade prior to the draft no one touched him and he hasn't shown up in camp, so it is unlikely he would be signed by another team and the Patriots would have the clear inside track for him as a PS player.

Dennard might end up on IR at cut down time. He has been out with an injury for a while.

:)

Belichick will do what is best for the team. We'll see what "guarantees" are in Demps' contract.

"We didn't return them very well in any conditions, at any time [in 2011]. And still haven't, based on the New Orleans [preseason] game," Belichick said Thursday of the kick return struggles. "That's obviously an area we can improve in and we have worked hard in, but based on the results, still need to do a lot more work on.

Olympic sprinter Jeff Demps is the newest New England Patriot and could yield big returns -- literally - ESPN Boston

Does that sound like a coach who's likely to be quick on the trigger with a potentially explosive return man?

Last edited:
Re: Who's roster spot does Demps take?

Dennard might end up on IR at cut down time. He has been out with an injury for a while.

Given his legal troubles that may have been the plan from the start. PS would obviously be a better place for him because he could practice with them, but that has the risk of clearing waivers. IR keeps him on the team but is definitely a setback for any young player.

I also would keep Edelman instead of Dennard. But then, I don't expect Dennard to get a roster spot if Ebner has one.

I see Ebner in a battle with the veteran safety/ST players, Barrett, Brown, and Ihedigbo, not Dennard, but as I said in anotrher post the final cuts may not be direct correlations at positions but instead may be ST choices that take position flexibility into account.

The open question is the number of defensive backs. We have seven ready for prime time:
McCourty, Arrington, Dowling, Moore, Chung, Gregory and Wilson. Barring injury, these players will get 99% of the reps in the regular defense.

Will we keep TWO or THREE more. We have same issue in the linebacker corps. The last roster spot on defense could go to a LB/STer or a SS/STer.

I see Ebner in a battle with the veteran safety/ST players, Barrett, Brown, and Ihedigbo, not Dennard, but as I said in anotrher post the final cuts may not be direct correlations at positions but instead may be ST choices that take position flexibility into account.

The open question is the number of defensive backs. We have seven ready for prime time:
McCourty, Arrington, Dowling, Moore, Chung, Gregory and Wilson. Barring injury, these players will get 99% of the reps in the regular defense.

Will we keep TWO or THREE more. We have same issue in the linebacker corps. The last roster spot on defense could go to a LB/STer or a SS/STer.

I initially saw Ebner as a PS player because of his project status, but reports from camp and his exceptional ST skill set have me thinking he makes the cut.

Shane Vereen, Steven Ridley, Brandon Bolden as running backs and now the "track star" as a kick returner would be the reason Woodhead could be cut..

Brandon Merriweather took more snaps at safety then anyone else in 2009 and 2010.. Then got cut last year.. Ty Warren was our starting LDE for 5 years got cut last season... Shall I continue the list of player BB has cut despite there previous roles?

Never ceases to amaze me how Andy Johnson lives in the past. Why don't you sign up for a history forum....

There's always a "surprise cut" as well - and that's usually a good thing as someone new and better has played their way onto the roster

Just to clarify, the other poster was keeping Edelman as a CORNER. Are you agreeing that you want him over Denard as a corner?

Re: Who's roster spot does Demps take?

Given his legal troubles that may have been the plan from the start. PS would obviously be a better place for him because he could practice with them, but that has the risk of clearing waivers. IR keeps him on the team but is definitely a setback for any young player.

IR is a lost year. He cannot practice. The thinking that we would take a guy who could help, even from the ps, and make up an injury for IR because he would get picked up by someone else is nuts. There was one case where we may have done that but it was a QB who wasn't going to play anywhere for anyone that season.
Aside from the poor judgment regarding developing the player that would be, no player that could play for another team is going to accept IR and sitting on his butt all year instead.

Woodhead would be picked up immediately.

Given some of the other team needs at RB (Brandon Jacobs just last night to mention one) I would think that if someone like Woodhead were on the bubble Belichick would trade him, if only to prevent him from going in the division or conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST