PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Will Brady Throw To?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its all relative
if the offense is the same and tey just plug in edelman in place of welker then theres no need to spend bucks on a WR

however if brady goes back to "my favorite receiver is the open receiver" then yea we should spend money on dept

When was the last time Brandon Tate played football? Wasn't he injured most of his senior year? How can anyone depend on him - he's not even as healthy as Chad Jackson or Dave Thomas.

I hope for the best with him, but he's got to be 5/6 on the depth chart heading into camp.

And I don't think Welker plays next year. I've heard 9-12 months, which puts him somewhere between the beginning of November and the beginning of February. If you're a NFL GM, you don't plan on having him back on November 1.

So right now its Moss, who needs to be replaced at some point too, and Edelman, who isn't without his own injury issues. Oh, ahem, and Aiken and Slater.

So yeah, I think they'll add 2-3 WR's between now and May 1.

When was the last time Brandon Tate played football? Wasn't he injured most of his senior year? How can anyone depend on him - he's not even as healthy as Chad Jackson or Dave Thomas.

I hope for the best with him, but he's got to be 5/6 on the depth chart heading into camp.

And I don't think Welker plays next year. I've heard 9-12 months, which puts him somewhere between the beginning of November and the beginning of February. If you're a NFL GM, you don't plan on having him back on November 1.

So right now its Moss, who needs to be replaced at some point too, and Edelman, who isn't without his own injury issues. Oh, ahem, and Aiken and Slater.

So yeah, I think they'll add 2-3 WR's between now and May 1.

Im hoping that Welker returns week 9.:)

Why is it that people discount Brandon Tate? Not a single person or reporter has been able to confirm why he was put on the IR. There is no reason to believe he won't be ready for the spring drills, let alone camp. In fact, the most recent interview alluded to the fact that he hadn't had another surgery since the ACL repair on the knee he injured in college.

As for players, while we all might hope for a Domenik Hixon or Lance Moore or Leon Washington, most of the guys people are mentioning are going to be RFAs. Meaning that the Pats would have to give up at least a 2nd round pick for them. I'll be honest. The only one I'd have given up a pick for was Leon Washington. But that was before the serious knee injury he suffered. If I was BB, I wouldn't be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for either Moore or Hixon. Moore because he was injured so much this season. And Hixon because he's only been a one year wonder..

Kevin Walter would definitely be on the short list to bring in if I felt he could run the routes the way Brady likes them run. In fact, I'd have Brady there and tell him the routes and see how they do on pitch and catch.. If they do well, then sign him. If not, thank him for his time and move on...

Osgood I would bring in to be an upgrade over Aiken. But only if he could run the routes the way Brady wants them run. If not, then there is no real reason unless Osgood is that much of an upgrade on special teams.

First of all, we have no idea whether or not Tate will be ready by week 1 next year. Let alone be ready for mini camps, training camps, preseason, etc. And we certainly wont know that during this off season. I think its safe to go with that knowledge and plan for him possibly being on the PUP or best case, miss some of traiing camp.

Tate was injured in November. What kind of doctors are the Patriots using that can't tell when he will be 100% almost 3 months after the injury? For all we know, Tate may be ready to go right now. To my knowledge, nobody has verified that Tate even had surgery. I thinks its safe to go with the assumption that the Pats know EXACTLY what Tate's availability will be in 2010.

This team needs a reliable threat opposite Moss, or we are going to see the same thing happen next year that happend this past year.

Totally agree and if Tate is not that guy, he was completely overdrafted in 2009. You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round (who was only in the 3rd round because of an injury) to be #5 or #6 on your depth chart. You just don't.

I think this team needs to add at least 2 FA wr's. I like Walter as a #2 guy and maybe Josh Reed as a low end FA, maybe Deon Branch of he gets released. Welker may not even make it back next year. The time table for him is 6-12 months. I certainly like a WR depth of Moss - Walter - Reed/Branch - Edelman - Tate (when he comes back) - draft pick over Moss - Edelman - FA/3rd day draft pick - Tate. No one is sayind Tate's career is over, but he had a major injury. He has questions right now. And right now is when the Pats are building a team for next year.

You have no idea what injury Tate had. Neither do I. If Tate isn't going to be ready in 2010, someone else will line up in his place. My point is that if you sign Walter and Reed/Branch, you might as well trade away Tate and (when Welker returns) Edelman. The only receivers you need other than the top 4 are ST and developmental guys. There just aren't enough practice snaps to justify it.

I understand that you want a fully viable WR depth chart for week #1. Nobody is going to disagree with that. The problem is that the hurt guys are going to get healthy, very likely this year. Someone (or multiple someones) will need to go or sit when that happens. If a couple of WRs end up on IR, problem averted. If not, what are you going to do?

Also, you may not count Aiken and Slater as part of the WR depth chart but they may both be on the roster (Aiken certainly will if healthy). If you are planning on carrying 6 WRs plus Aiken and Slater, what position are you going to adjust to compensate?

Why is it that people discount Brandon Tate? Not a single person or reporter has been able to confirm why he was put on the IR. There is no reason to believe he won't be ready for the spring drills, let alone camp.

There's no reason to believe Tate's an NFL quality WR. What does he have - 1 catch? He's a third round draft pick that's barely been on a field in 18 months.

Discount Brandon Tate? Why would you count on him? That's my point, we can't count on anybody outside of Moss and Edelman.

Totally agree and if Tate is not that guy, he was completely overdrafted in 2009. You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round (who was only in the 3rd round because of an injury) to be #5 or #6 on your depth chart. You just don't.

How many third round draft picks become starters in the NFL? 30%? 40%?

What am I missing with Brandon Tate ? In four years in college, he never had more than 28 (?) catches in a season. Is he really expected to be any more productive in the NFL than we was in college ? I understand he was great on special teams, but as a receiver ???

#1 Randy Moss,

#2 Julian Edelman, takeing welkers. spot untill he gets back.

#3 Brandon Tate,

#4 Sam Aiken,

#5 some JAG and a low round draft pick will fight. for this spot.

with or with out a cap the pats will stay true to what they do. i don't see them spending for a big name free agent WR when they all redy have so much money in moss all redy. and lot's of FA's of there own to sign. and to many holes on defense. to draft a WR higher then the 4th round.

As for players, while we all might hope for a Domenik Hixon or Lance Moore or Leon Washington, most of the guys people are mentioning are going to be RFAs. Meaning that the Pats would have to give up at least a 2nd round pick for them. I'll be honest. The only one I'd have given up a pick for was Leon Washington. But that was before the serious knee injury he suffered. If I was BB, I wouldn't be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for either Moore or Hixon. Moore because he was injured so much this season. And Hixon because he's only been a one year wonder..

Kevin Walter would definitely be on the short list to bring in if I felt he could run the routes the way Brady likes them run. In fact, I'd have Brady there and tell him the routes and see how they do on pitch and catch.. If they do well, then sign him. If not, thank him for his time and move on...

Osgood I would bring in to be an upgrade over Aiken. But only if he could run the routes the way Brady wants them run. If not, then there is no real reason unless Osgood is that much of an upgrade on special teams.

Moore is a Restricted FA but Hixon isnt.

What am I missing with Brandon Tate ? In four years in college, he never had more than 28 (?) catches in a season. Is he really expected to be any more productive in the NFL than we was in college ? I understand he was great on special teams, but as a receiver ???

i don't see him as the guy that will have 70 or 80 rec. but more of the guy that will have 20 to 30 rec with most of them being 20+ yerds pretty much just a deep treat. to help free up moss.

I guess we will need a top 3 defense if we want to be division winners again, never mind have a chance at the Super Bowl.

Tate is our number three after two years of being injured and exactly one NFL catch. And Edleman will step right in as Welker's replacement. I see what you are selling. I'm not buying, not close.

And just BTW, whant happens if Moss is hurt for a game or two? I guess I know, he'll need to play anyway and take the wrath of the media and the posters.

#1 Randy Moss,

#3 Brandon Tate,

#4 Sam Aiken,

with or with out a cap the pats will stay true to what they do. i don't see them spending for a big name free agent WR when they all redy have so much money in moss all redy. and lot's of FA's of there own to sign. and to many holes on defense. to draft a WR higher then the 4th round.

There's no reason to believe Tate's an NFL quality WR. What does he have - 1 catch? He's a third round draft pick that's barely been on a field in 18 months.

Discount Brandon Tate? Why would you count on him? That's my point, we can't count on anybody outside of Moss and Edelman.
Exactly, I expect him back, healthy, and in the mix, but I want a couple quality kids from this draft to push him at WR and KR. Competition and "depth" is good.

Brandon Tate would have had a breakout senior season in 2008 if he would not have been injured. If I remember correctly, he lead the ACC in all-purpose yards per game before he blew his knee in the first quarter against Notre Dame and missed the final seven games. While he did his damage almost exclusively on special teams as a freshman and sophomore, he became quiet a deep threat as a junior.

I'm sure that he will boost our return game and hopefully he can become a solid deep threat.

Last edited:
I guess we will need a top 3 defense if we want to be division winners again, never mind have a chance at the Super Bowl.

Tate is our number three after two years of being injured and exactly one NFL catch. And Edleman will step right in as Welker's replacement. I see what you are selling. I'm not buying, not close.

And just BTW, whant happens if Moss is hurt for a game or two? I guess I know, he'll need to play anyway and take the wrath of the media and the posters.

will if i had it my way i would sign Antonio Bryant, to be the #2 and Ronald Curry, to be the #3/#4 and draft golden tate, in the 2th round.

if there is a CAP next year i don't think bryant. is a option. curry. could be a chep vet on a one year deal. i think he would be a nice fit for the pats. and draft a WR with one of the #2's

#1 Randy Moss,

#3 Brandon Tate,

#4 Sam Aiken,

If thats it, they wont make the playoffs. Wont even come close.

My targets:

Trades: (provided it does not cost a draft pick higher than #53)

Marshall
Ochocinco

The likelyhood of the Broncos or Bengals giving up players of that talent for a mid 2nd round pick are the same as me taking over for Tom Brady in 2 years time.

Talking Point: We need at least 2 new experienced WRs.

Reality: Nobody has a WR that is 4th or worse on their depth chart that makes much of an impact. Why do the Pats need an experienced vet to either a) be their #4 receiver or b) push Edelman or Tate to #4?

Talking Point: Can't count on either Welker or Tate in 2010.

Reality: Why not? Welker won't be around for the first 6 games but week #7 will be around Halloween, which is 9 months from now. That is within the timeframe of a normal ACL recovery. Why would Welker (a notorious hard worker) be on a longer recovery timeline? For all we know, Tate may be ready to go now...so assuming he won't be ready in 3 months or 5 months or 7 months seems kind of fatalistic.

Talking Point: Can't even count on a healthy Tate since he hasn't done anything yet.

Reality: Teams count on untested receivers all the time. The Texans had the most passing yards with David Anderson as their #3. The Colts had Collie (drafted lower than Tate) as their #3 with Garcon (drafted lower than Tate) as the backup when Gonzalez went down. The Chargers don't even run 3-wide as a base and when they do, Legedu Naanee trots on the field. Where is the team that goes 4-5 deep with experienced, prolific WRs?

Talking Point: Without 4-5 solid WRs for Brady to throw to, the Pats won't sniff the Super Bowl and may miss the playoffs.

Reality: Nonsense. You need 2 top-shelf WRs, a reliable 3rd guy and 2 others that are competent when called upon. However, replace the "WRs" with "targets" and now you're cooking. A WR corps of Moss, Edelman, Tate, draft pick, Aiken is fine for 6 weeks (the NFL won't schedule the Colt, Charger or Steeler games until the 2nd half) and a WR corps of Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, draft pick is certainly capable of winning a title. The trick is going to be upgrading Watson and Faulk this offseason. Given 4-5 seconds, Watson could be dynamic down the field. Problem is that the ball was out of Brady's hands in 3-4 seconds. Faulk is still Mr. Reliable, but he just doesn't change field position on a consistent basis anymore. Address these 2 positions and the WRs will be just fine.

Brandon Tate would have had a breakout senior season in 2008 if he would not have been injured. If I remember correctly, he lead the ACC in all-purpose yards per game before he blew his knee in the first quarter against Notre Dame and missed the final seven games. While he did his damage almost exclusively on special teams as a freshman and sophomore, he became quiet a deep threat as a junior.

I'm sure that he will boost our return game and hopefully he can become a solid deep threat.

There have been a lot of guys who performed as well as you expect Tate would have and who've come out of their senior season healthy and then busted in the NFL. I appreciate your optimism, but there's just no way for us to be certain that Tate "will boost our return game . . .", etc. Plus, having suffered two knee injuries and been effectively out of football for a season and a half, the odds are stacked against him being any kind of contributor for the Pats this season - or maybe even ever. While 'm certainly hoping that Tate performs exactly as you expect, I have to go with the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye