PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the starting safety opposite Devin McCourty?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the starting safety opposite Devin McCourty?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocker that a rookie from a small school would have trouble diagnosing plays.

Illinois is not a small school. And there have been quite a few prominent defensive stars in the NFL that came from smaller schools.

Eugene Wilson was a rookie from that same "small school" and shifted from corner to a position he had never played before and was a stud in 2003.

"Define on the field"? You go out of your way to make every discussion feel like court. On the field means on the field.

That is dramatic, I did not know if you meant you did not want him to make the team period or if you meant as a top 3-4 safety. I have no problem with him making the team in the role that Tavon Wilson or Nate Ebner played last season.

"You want to argue that what I said about him being risky and reckless doesn't apply to his play on special teams because you'd rather not admit Chung did and always will suck.

I do not really care about Chung that much, I am not defending him, I am just not so warped by his last 2 seasons as a player that I am going to say he sucked throughout his career. That is not true, he has always struggled in coverage, but he has not always sucked he was decent in 2010 and 2011, and by his standards he played well.

That is not true, he has always struggled in coverage, but he has not always sucked he was decent in 2010 and 2011, and by his standards he played well.

If he is struggling in coverage, as a DB, would that not be considering 'sucking'? Oh, but he played up to his 'standards' set by Brady6 himself. Never mind.

I do not really care about Chung that much, I am not defending him, I am just not so warped by his last 2 seasons as a player that I am going to say he sucked throughout his career. That is not true, he has always struggled in coverage, but he has not always sucked he was decent in 2010 and 2011, and by his standards he played well.

That's complete and total crap, and I'm sure you know it. You made some stupid posts, and now you're just doubling down.

Let it die.

....also, showing one play where Wilson gets beat deep is not really fair, as that happens everybody

You may not remember, but after this occurred, Tavon Wilson then went out and repeated the exact same mistake only minutes into the very next game. This was the kicker to everyone--that after seeing the mistake over and over and over in practice all week long, that he could have actually been foolish enough to make the exact same mistake only minutes into the next game.

While I understand your point, you are going to immediately be in BB's doghouse if you do stuff like this. Sadly for Wilson, he never really earned his way back out, so I think we can assume that he's continuing to repeat a lot of mistakes in practice as well--or at least is getting beat out by better play from the other candidates.

If he is struggling in coverage, as a DB, would that not be considering 'sucking'? Oh, but he played up to his 'standards' set by Brady6 himself. Never mind.
Apparently, he failed to meet the standards that Stick **** set for him.

Why don’t you go somewhere else with your passive aggressive internet persona… somewhere that does not involve quoting my posts…

That's complete and total crap, and I'm sure you know it. You made some stupid posts, and now you're just doubling down.

Let it die.
Take your own advice; you keep chiming into this, as if my opinion of Chung being that he did not play that poorly in 2010 and 2011 is that impactful to your day or something. You would think I was in here advocating for Chung to win the starting job.

You may not remember, but after this occurred, Tavon Wilson then went out and repeated the exact same mistake only minutes into the very next game. This was the kicker to everyone--that after seeing the mistake over and over and over in practice all week long, that he could have actually been foolish enough to make the exact same mistake only minutes into the next game.

While I understand your point, you are going to immediately be in BB's doghouse if you do stuff like this. Sadly for Wilson, he never really earned his way back out, so I think we can assume that he's continuing to repeat a lot of mistakes in practice as well--or at least is getting beat out by better play from the other candidates.

I do remember and agree with the benching.

In fairness to Wilson when he was on the field against the Seahawks and Rams the top 3 CBs were McCourty, Arrington, and Moore, and he was partnered with Chung and Ebner. Harmon played the majority of his snaps paired with McCourty, and with Talib, Dennard, Ryan, and Arrington as the top CBs.

I do agree he never earned his way back in year 2, which is very concerning, I am hopeful that Wilson can be like Cunningham a few years ago, he had a decent rookie season, was no existent in year 2, and then bounced back in year 3 (prior to the PED suspension). Only without the PEDs, making it happens, and he can sustain in future years.

In fairness to Wilson when he was on the field against the Seahawks and Rams the top 3 CBs were McCourty, Arrington, and Moore, and he was partnered with Chung and Ebner. Harmon played the majority of his snaps paired with McCourty, and with Talib, Dennard, Ryan, and Arrington as the top CBs.

I do agree he never earned his way back in year 2, which is very concerning, I am hopeful that Wilson can be like Cunningham a few years ago, he had a decent rookie season, was no existent in year 2, and then bounced back in year 3 (prior to the PED suspension). Only without the PEDs, making it happens, and he can sustain in future years.

Hopefully, T.Wilson does improve on his past mistakes, and proves to everyone that he belongs. He's obviously a decent ST player, which should help his cause in staying this year for another attempt in winning over the coaches for more live game reps. In the meantime, I doubt any of us will be holding our breath though.

The 3rd safety saw about 1/3 of the snaps last year, with Harmon playing in 36% of the live game reps. Some of that was due to the injuries of Gregory and McCourty, so if T.Wilson is going to get another chance at starting, he'd better be ready because it may be his last.

Apparently, he failed to meet the standards that Stick **** set for him.

Why don’t you go somewhere else with your passive aggressive internet persona… somewhere that does not involve quoting my posts…

Yeah, it's not you, it's everyone else. Get over yourself.

Yeah, it's not you, it's everyone else. Get over yourself.
It is not everyone else; it is just those who are so insecure that they get their panties in a bunch when someone projects self-confidence in their opinions.

I do not need to get over myself, I asked you to clarify something because I was unsure if you meant you did not want to see Chung on the field, or if you meant only as a top safety on the team, and if you would be OK keeping him as a ST.

It is not everyone else; it is just those who are so insecure that they get their panties in a bunch when someone projects self-confidence in their opinions.

1235354138084.gif

You missed that whole Amendola thing, I guess...

Even in Cunningham's case, I dunno if he earned his way back into the field so much as, with Fanene never playing a down for us, there was a desperate need for an interior pass rush that he was able to kinda fill by switching positions, bulking up, and giving it his best shot. He was alright, but only had the opportunity to get on the field because of some pretty desperate circumstances. I'd rather that that doesn't happen again. I'd like to see Wilson earn some snaps, but against good competition. That way, we'll know that he's not a giant liability on the field like he has been whenever he's been out there to date.

Insecure is telling everyone on an internet forum how "successful" you are and how "nice a house" you have, and telling everyone how many likes and friends you have here and all about your great career.

But you would never do anything like that...right?

You missed that whole Amendola thing, I guess...
What exactly did I miss? The same 5-6 posters over personalizing my opinion of Danny Amendola to the degree that it is causes them to have a vendetta against someone they have never met in an internet forum. I am not going to cater to those posters if they do not like what I have to say they can place me on ignore, end of story. I seldom quote their posts if ever, I focus on interacting with posters like Sup, FTW, generally you, and others who can disagree with me or not see eye-to-eye without making it into crusade.

As far as Amendola goes, I cannot help but see the irony in you mentioning him. For the better part of almost a year I have heard posters talk about how Amendola is going to breakout, he is going to get healthy, give him a chance, he does not suck, etc. etc. But Chung a player who is 2 years younger than Amendola, entered the league as a second round pick and rated the #1 prospect at his position, in 2010 had a more productive season as a safety than Amendola has ever had as a wide receiver – he sucks that has been determined already and he deserves no chance. Chung struggles in coverage, Amendola struggles going deep, Chung had injuries that limited his effectiveness, and Amendola had injuries that limited his effectiveness. If I say everyone give Chung a chance it is only his sixth season, how is it any different from those who say give Amendola a chance it is only his seventh season?

Insecure is telling everyone on an internet forum how "successful" you are and how "nice a house" you have, and telling everyone how many likes and friends you have here and all about your great career.

But you would never do anything like that...right?
I am a pilot, since 9-11 that is one of the worst industries to work in, before that I made peanuts in the military, so I am not sure when I proclaimed myself a success.

My house is a house, I like it, and anyone who does not think their house is nice should probably consider moving, I would think most people who pay their mortgage do so because they think their house is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News