PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the starting safety opposite Devin McCourty?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the starting safety opposite Devin McCourty?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
We should field the best secondary in the AFC in 2014 but the one question mark is the spot opposite Devin McCourty at safety. We have several candidates –

- Pat Chung – 2009 second round draft pick
- Tavon Wilson – 2012 second round draft pick
- Duron Harmon – 2013 third round draft pick
- Logan Ryan – 2013 third round draft pick (played CB as a rookie)

I know Harmon is the favorite to win the job, but Chung started and played well for us in 2010 and 2011, Wilson played well at times as a rookie in 2012, and Ryan had a fantastic season as a rookie CB last year.

This is a poll so please cast your vote above the thread title. My vote is for Tavon Wilson, I think he is going to win the job in camp. I am crazy I know...:eek:

My vote is for Tavon Wilson, I think he is going to win the job in camp. I am crazy I know...:eek:

Well, if it's Nate Ebner we'll know that BB is crazy!

Harmon has already as a rookie outplayed Wilson who I don't think makes the team this year. A dark horse is Brandon Browner. Especially if Ryan steps up as a top #2 corner. If you think about it many Top SS's are converted big physical corners like Lott/Rod Woodson. Think bout it, Browner is a thumper tackler,physical in coverage,a sure tackler and if you watch his highlights he is great in space and breaks on many passes with explosion. You won't find a ss in the NFL that can cover like he can yet possess the height to match a TE or big WR. Many top SS's in the NFL like Byrd/ward lack the height to man up these tall athletic TE's. He could be a weapon at SS whose coverage abilities are nothing short of rediculous for a SS. Could become a new prototype for the position.

I know Harmon is the favorite to win the job, but Chung started and played well for us in 2010 and 2011

1274465753023.gif

I think it will be Harmon, but I am really hoping Wilson earns it. I like Tavon's ability to cover tight ends.

Chung had a good season in 2010, and was a key player down the stretch in 2011.

In both 2012 and 2013, he was probably the worst starting safety in the league for the brief period that he was allowed to start (before he was benched for being terrible).

My guess would be Harmon, with some possibility that the rumors about Ryan making the switch might be true. If they are, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. I'd be pretty surprised if Wilson turned it around in year 3, though, and shocked if it's either Ebner or Chung.

As I see it, Harmon's the safe pick at this point, because we know he's competent. He also has a relatively low ceiling, though, so in an ideal world he's the third guy. Wilson, Ryan, and Ebner all have more potential at the position, but Ryan's the only one that I'd be willing to bet on earning the job over Harmon, if given the opportunity. Wilson couldn't get on the field last year, and if he couldn't beat out Harmon when Harmon was a rookie, I don't see why he would be able to now.

Last edited:
Harmon has already as a rookie outplayed Wilson who I don't think makes the team this year. A dark horse is Brandon Browner. Especially if Ryan steps up as a top #2 corner. If you think about it many Top SS's are converted big physical corners like Lott/Rod Woodson. Think bout it, Browner is a thumper tackler,physical in coverage,a sure tackler and if you watch his highlights he is great in space and breaks on many passes with explosion. You won't find a ss in the NFL that can cover like he can yet possess the height to match a TE or big WR. Many top SS's in the NFL like Byrd/ward lack the height to man up these tall athletic TE's. He could be a weapon at SS whose coverage abilities are nothing short of rediculous for a SS. Could become a new prototype for the position.

Totally agree re: Wilson. Your perspective re: Browner was a popular sentiment around here when he was signed, but he and Belichick have already pretty much refuted it. Basically, Browner's biggest strength is that he manhandles receivers at the line of scrimmage. Lining him up at safety takes that element out of his game.

As he ages and loses what quickness he has, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the next phase of his career is as a big nickel SS/LB hybrid, though. Along the lines of late-career Rodney Harrison, or what we wanted Tank Williams and Adrian Wilson to be.

Totally agree re: Wilson. Your perspective re: Browner was a popular sentiment around here when he was signed, but he and Belichick have already pretty much refuted it. Basically, Browner's biggest strength is that he manhandles receivers at the line of scrimmage. Lining him up at safety takes that element out of his game.

As he ages and loses what quickness he has, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the next phoase of his career is as a big nickel SS/LB hybrid, though. Along the lines of late-career Rodney Harrison, or what we wanted Tank Williams and Adrian Wilson to be.

Hey now you took my idea lol. That's why I project him to SS. If he has one weakness its long speed. I would rather see him play strong safety with his current explosiveness/ball skills/physicality/closing quickness. The game has changed since Harrison's performance. Browner wouldn't be as effective atSS if he aged and lost some skills. Its what he can do now that would make him special at ss. He would redefine what teams look for at the position. Teams would be trying to bulk up physical corners who are 6'1 or taller corners to convert to ss just like good tackling zone corners are converted to FS. I know Brandons physicality at the line is talent away but look what's gained. He could still be physical before 5 yards and bump/run. Browner at SS would be like adding 6 inches to Jarius Byrd while improving his man cover skills. Browner would have no peer at SS and challenge Thomas as the best overall safety in the NFL. How many SS's could play zone and scare qbs,make hits at line of scrimmage,physically dominate the slot while able to lock up and cover any TE and almost any WR in the NFL man up which frees up a corner to blitz/jump routes,move into a zone all unexpectedly to the qb because the ss just blanketed the wr you thought Reevis or Ryan had. When a ss can do all that the coverages and schemes are endless. Byrd is all pro but would he ever be left on Brandon Marshall man up. I know Ryan has to make the jump as a top #2 corner before Browner could be Considered at ss.

Last edited:
hopefully harmon can be the guy......i dont mind chung as a backup.....but starting him is a bridge too far

I like Harmon. He seems like a safe choice. With all the amazing players around him, that's good enough for me. I do want to see Ryan get some time back there too. He is a very interesting player. Has a lot of talent. Hope he puts it together this season, safety or corner.

Starting safety next to McCourty will be Harmon in all likelihood, but I could easily envision a scenario where that "starter" is only on the field for 50-60% of the snaps. They other 40% or so will be filled by other players who excel (relative term, please don't take it too literally here) at various assignments, such as Chung on some running downs and Ryan for some underneath zones.

I do feel a number of those snaps will be filled without an official second "safety" on the field, where you'll have McCourty single high with four corners lined up in man coverage (or variations). It won't be the most used formation, but it will be used I'm sure, especially if we get better coverage out of our linebackers. Collins has the athletic potential to drop into those deep middle zones, like he did for his INT against the Colts.

Bottom line, I think Harmon will get the most snaps as a traditional safety besides McCourty, but all in all the secondary is basically McCourty and Revis on the field 100%, with everyone else in a giant pool of players that will be cycled through based on matchups and gameplans.

Starting safety next to McCourty will be Harmon in all likelihood, but I could easily envision a scenario where that "starter" is only on the field for 50-60% of the snaps. They other 40% or so will be filled by other players who excel (relative term, please don't take it too literally here) at various assignments, such as Chung on some running downs and Ryan for some underneath zones.

I do feel a number of those snaps will be filled without an official second "safety" on the field, where you'll have McCourty single high with four corners lined up in man coverage (or variations). It won't be the most used formation, but it will be used I'm sure, especially if we get better coverage out of our linebackers. Collins has the athletic potential to drop into those deep middle zones, like he did for his INT against the Colts.

Bottom line, I think Harmon will get the most snaps as a traditional safety besides McCourty, but all in all the secondary is basically McCourty and Revis on the field 100%, with everyone else in a giant pool of players that will be cycled through based on matchups and gameplans.

That second safety (be it Harmon or Ryan, my leading two guys for the job) will probably see their reps increased when we play high octane passing attacks such as the Packers or the Lions. That's when I expect the team to play a lot of Cover-2. Otherwise, I expect the team to be showing a lot of Cover-1, single high safety looks with McCourty playing centerfield. This is, of course, assuming that Revis stays healthy the entire season.

It's gotta be Harmon but I could see Ryan splitting time between safety and CB. I'm interested to see what happens with Jemea Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back