PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who was your favorite team if any BEFORE you became a Patriots fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giants. Thats all that was on when I was a kid.

I was a big 49ers fan. I still am. But the Patriots are by far my favorite team.

The Boston Celtics & Bill Russell were my favs.
Before the Patriots existed, I followed the Cleveland Browns. They and the hated NY Giants were shown on the Boston TV market.
Hey, somebody else that remembers the Browns beng televised into New England! They were on even before the Giants were, and they became my fave because we had a TV real early because my uncle had the only electrical appliance/TV store in town. My friends all became Giants fans because their parents got TVs later, when the Giants were on more than any other team. A lot of Jim Brown vs. Sam Huff trash talk! So, I was a Browns fan from the Graham, Groza, Lavelli, Dub (sic) Jones days until the time Jim Brown retired. Too bad he didn't get paid like the players of today. He might still hold all the rushing records. When the Patriots were formed, I picked up on them of course, so I had two favorite teams for a while. I moved to NorCal in time for the 49ers dynasty, had to like those teams. Now it's all Patriots again.

I was not a big NFL fan but it changed when i saw Pats perform magnificantly last year. I could not believe that it took me less than a year to be a hard core NFL fan.

I used to live in Boston and i have followed Pats closely.

Last edited:
I have always been stuck as a Patriots fan. Glad to be now, though. It was tough to be a fan sometimes.

I think I liked the Celtics first. Because they were so huge in the 80's with Larry Bird and the Big 3. I started following the Patriots seriously once they hired Tuna, drafted Bledsoe and started getting serious about winning. The seasons before, it was embarassing to watch them play, and I never did understand why they got rid of Flutie.

Last edited:
I know I'm really dating myself as an old fort but my first favorite team was the Cleveland Browns, for the sole reason that Jimmy (yeah, he was called Jimmy, not Jim on TV back then) Brown was by far my favorite player when I first started watching football. Back in the day of 3 channels on a 13" black & white TV, it was a tough sell to get a neighborhood parent to tune in to the Pats rather than the AFL. Eventually we kids on the street found a family that (a) didn't have a dad who loyally followed the Giants and the NFL, and (b) would let us in and watch the TV program we wanted on Sunday afternoon. Soon after our neighborhood was equally divided between kids who followed the Pats and kids who followed their parents footsteps and watched the Giants.

I've always been loyal to Boston teams. I didn't start following the Patriots until the year after Bledsoe got drafted.

My favorite team before the Patriots was the Boston Braves. They

broke my heart when they moved to Milwaukee after the 1952 season.

I have always held it against the Red Sox for not sharing Fenway Park

with the Braves. The Braves played in a crap hole of a ball park. When

the Braves were about to leave, Tom Yawkey offered to let them use

Fenway Park but the Braves were already committed to Milwaukee.

jacksonville jaguars.

i was 8, they were a new team, and their logo was cool. then they lost to the patriots, so i had to root for them. which worked out, b/c most of my family was cheering for green bay

this is going to bring scorn. Until 1972 I lived in South Windsor,Connecticut. My favorite team was Fran Tarkenton, Ron Johnson and the NY Giants. Yankee Stadium. Jack Whitaker calling the games on CBS. dems were the days.

By 1975 we had moved to Cape Cod, Steve Grogan started playing QB and i became a full fledged Patriot fan.

I am sure the guys in here who grew up near and around Boston and Foxboro were almost for sure Patriots fans at birth
Only you young whippersnappers. I grew up in New Bedford and was a Giants fan before the Patriots showed up, and in fact was a two-team fan for a long time.

Team Rocket......

But seriously, it was Korean baseball team called OB Bears. Manchester United comes close second.

Grew up in Anaheim, CA so was, of course, an LA RAMS fan. Refused to support them once they were stolen away to St. Louis, and soon after I moved out to New England so it was easy to switch to the Patriots.

I had my faves...the Colts and the Browns...the Browns because of the best football player ever...Jim Brown...and teh Colts, because of their open offense of Unitas, Berry et all...the team I hated?? The New York Football Giants..still hate them...even more...the Patriots?? That was ALL pre-Patriots...

You wrote my answer for me. Growing up in Massachusetts before the Patriots were born - I was never going to root for those NY imposters that networks tried to make "our" team. To this day, I can't understand New England football fans who did. It was sort of like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

You wrote my answer for me. Growing up in Massachusetts before the Patriots were born - I was never going to root for those NY imposters that networks tried to make "our" team. The Giants were the "local" team. TV didn't try to make us think they were geographically closest to us. THEY WERE!

To this day, I can't understand New England football fans who did. Yeah, not all fans like the local team. There were Colts fans in Mass back then, and there are now. There are a lot of reasons people root for one team or another. Like you, I don't really understand growing up in an area and rooting for a team half a continent away, but to each his or her own.

It was sort of like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."?????

I was a huge Vikings fan from the late sixties to the mid 70's, started following the Patriots in the early 70's and have been a fan ever since.

I was actually worried that the Patriots would make it to the Super Bowl in 1976 and trouce my now second favorite team and I'd have mixed feeling about it ; how'd that work out for me?

Grew up in the Bay Area and I hated the Niners. I'm talking the Montana and Young Niners, I don't know why but I couldn't stand them. I didn't mind the Raiders so I kind of followed them but it just wasn't there. So essentially I had no team for a while.

Then I heard Tom Brady drafted by the Patriots. I didn't know who he was, but I loved that he was from San Mateo (where I basically live) so I rooted for him to succeed in 2000. Hah, little did I know how much he'd actually accomplish.

My parents were highschool sweethearts at Foxborough High. After graduating they got married and moved to CT, but the majority of my relatives still live in Foxborough. If I would have rooted for any other team I'd have likely been disowned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News