PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the best team in the NFL right now, after week 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time putting Atlanta at number 1. Their games vs Oakland and Carolina pretty much came down to the last play. You think Eli has clutch luck? Watch the end of those two games.

Every team will experience unexpected close games, it's why the phrase 'Any Given Sunday' exists. The Pats have already encountered this with the Cardinals, Seahawks, and Jets. The difference is that the Pats lost 2 of 3 of those games, while the Falcons still managed to pull them out. To put down Atlanta because they aren't winning in landslides is like those people who were hating on the 2003 Pats because they were squeeking by opponents (good and bad).

I pretty much agree with your list, except that I'd put Denver ahead of Pittsburgh (who they beat) and probably Baltimore.

You're in the ESPN camp, then, as they were feeling the same about Denver/Pittsburgh. I just can't buy into Denver. With SD and KC taking the gas pipe, they've got an easy road to the playoffs, though.

You're in the ESPN camp, then, as they were feeling the same about Denver/Pittsburgh. I just can't buy into Denver. With SD and KC taking the gas pipe, they've got an easy road to the playoffs, though.

Take a look at the last 3-4 games Peyton has played and tell me you don't believe in Denver. Peyton is the leading MVP candidate. The Broncos are for real. The Pats were lucky to get enough of a lead in that game Peyton couldn't come back against. He is playing out of his mind, and their schedule is not particularly daunting.

Last edited:
Houston is the best at this point

Matt Ryan is the most clutch QB in the NFL but I still can't trust their secondary

Its hard to find any flaws in Houston

Also if Alex Smith plays like he did last night for the rest of the year,the 49ers might never lose another game in 2012/13

Last edited:

Ouch, you really know how to hurt a guy.

My feeling about Denver is sort of the same as Green Bay right now:

- They've won their last 2 games
- They've got a QB with a proven track record

Plus Denver is in a weak division. I'm not particularly impressed with them, but they seem to have an "easy road to the playoffs", and they could get hot. Baltimore and Pittsburgh are both much older teams and have a lot of injuries, and I'm not very impressed with either.

It's more a question of who I'm less impressed by, not more.

I think the Giants are clearly in the conversation, but I found myself wondering this yesterday: If the Patriots had blown a 23-0 lead to Dallas and won the game the way the Giants did, what would the media reaction have been like?

if they had won 2 sbs in the past 5 years, i think the media would have been lenient on them

the giants have shown they are experienced and championship material

they deserve any pass they get, because as it is right now, they're the reigning champs

Manning has historically owned the Ravens D, and edges out 3-2 vs Pitt.

Id say Steelers and Broncos are close but Ravens clearly beneath both.

Take a look at the last 3-4 games Peyton has played and tell me you don't believe in Denver. Peyton is the leading MVP candidate. The Broncos are for real. The Pats were lucky to get enough of a lead in that game Peyton couldn't come back against.

I have watched every Broncos game this season, with the exception of the Raider matchup.

I don't believe in Denver. The Broncos aren't for real. They'll make the playoffs because their division sucks. When the games were in earnest, they got waxed by Atlanta, Houston and New England, only to come back in the "we're fighting the clock instead of stepping on their throats" phases of those games because all 3 opposing coaches decided to get conservative and almost outthought themselves. They beat a Pittsburgh team that had no Ryan Clark and had a hobbled Troy Polamalu. They beat a San Diego team that saw its quarterback melt down in a way that few QBs ever have.

There will be 12 teams in the playoffs. Of the 12, probably somewhere between 9 and 11 will be better than the Broncos.

Last edited:
I have watched every Broncos game this season, with the exception of the Raider matchup.

I don't believe in Denver. The Broncos aren't for real. They'll make the playoffs because their division sucks. When the games were in earnest, they got waxed by Atlanta, Houston and New England, only to come back in the "we're fighting the clock instead of stepping on their throats" phases of those games because all 3 opposing coaches decided to get conservative and almost outthought themselves. They beat a Pittsburgh team that had no Ryan Clark and had a hobbled Troy Polamalu. They beat a San Diego team that saw its quarterback melt down in a way that few QBs ever have.

There will be 12 teams in the playoffs. Of the 12, probably somewhere between 9 and 11 will be better than the Broncos.

And in what weeks did Peyton play those teams? Is it possible that a QB coming off of a full year away from the game, especially one who relies on chemistry with his receivers, could improve over the course of a few weeks? I said look at his last 3-4 weeks, he's completing almost 80% of his passes and waxing teams. The last bad half he had was the 1st half @ NE.

Your bolded is laughable. I don't want to see the Broncos in the playoffs, but apparently you do.

And in what weeks did Peyton play those teams? Is it possible that a QB coming off of a full year away from the game, especially one who relies on chemistry with his receivers, could improve over the course of a few weeks? I said look at his last 3-4 weeks, he's completing almost 80% of his passes and waxing teams. The last bad half he had was the 1st half @ NE.

Your bolded is laughable. I don't want to see the Broncos in the playoffs, but apparently you do.

:confused2:

We disagree. Such is life.

As for his last 3-4 weeks, they change nothing. They played one good team, and that good team has a lousy secondary. That was the Patriots, and the Patriots waxed them before getting conservative and almost blowing the game. They beat the Chargers because the Chargers had 6 turnovers as their QB had a meltdown for the ages. As for New Orleans, well....

The Saints are the first team to allow 400 yards in seven straight games since 1950, which is as far back as STATS LLC can search its NFL database.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Broncos-lead-Saints-31-7-in-4th-quarter-3988890.php

not exactly tough putting the yards up against that group right now.....

You should feel free to buy into all the hype. I'll feel free not to do so.

Last edited:
The best team in the nfl in October couldn't be more irrelevant.

With all due respect to the Giants, they were mediocre mid season but won it all, peaking at the right time.

I think Belichick, Brady and the rest of the Patriots fully appreciate this, and will seek to be healthy and productive come January.

I'd say the Giants. They've been finding ways to win. Sure some teams give the game away to them but nontheless they still persevere and win the game somehow.

I dont think the Patriots are too far behind. This defense is starting to believe and your never out of it with the front seven that they have as well as the offense. I think if this secondary can pull it together they have a good shot to win the whole damn thing and I dont care if it goes through Houston, Baltimore or Pittsburgh. The only thing holding this team back is experience. They could become very experienced over the next 8 weeks.

I would put giants 2 or 3 ATM

I'd put the giants at #1

Closely followed by the pats, Atl, texans and the niners.

Anyone can beat anyone today, and if we sort our secondary out, I'd fancy us against anyone anywhere.

patriots are best

atlanta is good, but they needed late game heroics to beat some pretty bad teams

houston will get owned by any premeir QB they play, they only faced two so far, Peyton and Aaron, Aaron scorched them, and Peyton wasnt himself earlier on in the year, plus they still rely on their run game to set up the pass, and we all know what our defense can stop

giants should have lost the last two weeks to boys and skins, they are not better tan either houston or atlanta

WE have the rest of the league right where we want them

Anyone that says Giants should lose their fan card. Obviously the didn't watch that Cowgirls game anyway. The answer is Pats.

I feel like there's a "Stockholm Syndrome" effect going on with so many putting the Giants at the top. They're a top team, but they are not significantly better than the Packers, Niners, or Texans, and close to the Pats, Broncos, and Falcons.

This week alone, the Giants are -3 at home vs. the Steelers (whom many have foolishly written off). The Giants are a great team but by no means dominant.

Edit: IIB putting Texans 5th and Broncos 10th with the Giants #1 just proves my point. Some of you are irrationally enamored of the Giants because of what they have done to the Pats recently. I would take both of those teams over the Giants on a neutral field right now.

One of the reasons I've always felt that the reigning SB champ should be considered the best until proven otherwise is that things are indeed as fluid and close as you say. I pick the Giants, in this case, because they're the team that has most recently shown that they know how to get it done when it counts and when it matters and no team has made the case that they are in a different league. That doesn't say there aren't several good teams out there, all of whom could win it all in February, the Pats among them.

One of the reasons I've always felt that the reigning SB champ should be considered the best until proven otherwise is that things are indeed as fluid and close as you say. I pick the Giants, in this case, because they're the team that has most recently shown that they know how to get it done when it counts and when it matters and no team has made the case that they are in a different league. That doesn't say there aren't several good teams out there, all of whom could win it all in February, the Pats among them.

What is "proven otherwise?" Until they are eliminated from playoff contention? What the Giants did last season has nothing to do with this season and assessing teams in the league. Don't get me wrong, the Giants are great, they may even be the best team in the league, but they are far from undisputed, and there are about 6-7 other teams right now (including the Pats) who could lay a claim to being the "best."

Who cares? The relevant question is which team has the best chance to beat the Patriots on a neutral field and that answer hasn't changed since 2007 and won't change unless that teams suffers widespread injuries, including to #10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST