PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the best team in the NFL right now, after week 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just ESPN-level thinking. The only team that can win games on the road against any team? Really? They were a Dez Bryant fingertip from losing that game.

Nice choice of examples choosing the Packers, we all know what happened in Green Bay last postseason. So obviously I should choose the Giants. Right now I think the Pats could beat the Packers in Green Bay, only because all of these teams are very close in strength level and it's ridiculous to say one team is a hard lock over the other.

Right now Peyton could destroy his lil bro's team, and I think the Texans could do the same.

Putting the Broncos at #10 is hilarious given that Peyton is currently playing at an even higher level than his 2004 MVP season, which was his best season ever.

I'm sorry, but this is a comical post.

The Giants walked into SF and systematically destroyed the 49ers. Way to use the Cowboys as a straw man argument. With their core group of players and coaching, the Giants put together 5 road playoff wins in 2007 and 2011. They also went into Foxboro last year and ended Tom Brady's 30+ game winning streak at home without Hakeem Nicks! Do you really think they are just another team?

I just used the Packers as an example because (A) Lambeau field is a really tough place for a visiting team, and (B) they have an awesome passing game which the Giants can shut down but most teams can't. It helps to have the best defensive line in football. And thanks for pointing out that the Giants dismantled a 15-1 Packers team last year and essentially have the same players. Bottom line is they have the personnel to do that, while other teams do not.

As for the Broncos, I didn't realize that Peyton Manning is the only player on the team and that because he is playing at a high level, the Broncos are better than the 2004 Colts. It's weird, because I just checked the standings and the Broncos are just 4-3 and have been slaughtered by strong opponents, often digging holes of 20+ points. I thought putting them at #10 was reasonable. But I guess they should be #1 because they "could" destroy the Giants.

I'm sorry, but this is a comical post.

The Giants walked into SF and systematically destroyed the 49ers. Way to use the Cowboys as a straw man argument. With their core group of players and coaching, the Giants put together 5 road playoff wins in 2007 and 2011. They also went into Foxboro last year and ended Tom Brady's 30+ game winning streak at home without Hakeem Nicks! Do you really think they are just another team?

I just used the Packers as an example because (A) Lambeau field is a really tough place for a visiting team, and (B) they have an awesome passing game which the Giants can shut down but most teams can't. It helps to have the best defensive line in football. And thanks for pointing out that the Giants dismantled a 15-1 Packers team last year and essentially have the same players. Bottom line is they have the personnel to do that, while other teams do not.

As for the Broncos, I didn't realize that Peyton Manning is the only player on the team and that because he is playing at a high level, the Broncos are better than the 2004 Colts. It's weird, because I just checked the standings and the Broncos are just 4-3 and have been slaughtered by strong opponents, often digging holes of 20+ points. I thought putting them at #10 was reasonable. But I guess they should be #1 because they "could" destroy the Giants.

The Giants are 4th in DVOA, 6th in point differential. They are simply not the best team in the league. You can talk about what happened last season all you want, it doesn't affect how we assess teams this season. If you want to play the "they have the mentality" card, well then you're just talking about nonsense.

I never said the Broncos were #1. But I think they are much higher than #10, and Peyton's play recently deserves consideration for much higher. Being 4-3 ignores how they have played recently.

Putting the Texans at #5 is probably the worst ranking you made, they are without a doubt the best team in the AFC and a top 3 team at worst (Packers, Texans, Niners, in some order). Your rankings are terrible.

Last edited:
Heard an interesting stat about the Giants this morning. *

In 8 1/2 seasons with the Giants Coughlin has guided his team to:

a 6-2 or better start 7 times out of the 9 attempts.

a 4-4 or worse finish 6 times out of the 8 attempts.

Giants pretty much always start hot and then slump in the second half of the season.

We all know that in 2 of the season they got hot again when the playoffs started but i just thought it was contrasting to the norm for the Patriots where they start slowly in most seasons (2007 aside) but get better after Thanksgiving.

* I havent checked the validity of the stat so im just assuming its correct*

The Giants are 4th in DVOA, 6th in point differential. They are simply not the best team in the league. You can talk about what happened last season all you want, it doesn't affect how we assess teams this season. If you want to play the "they have the mentality" card, well then you're just talking about nonsense.

I never said the Broncos were #1. But I think they are much higher than #10, and Peyton's play recently deserves consideration for much higher. Being 4-3 ignores how they have played recently.

Putting the Texans at #5 is probably the worst ranking you made, they are without a doubt the best team in the AFC and a top 3 team at worst (Packers, Texans, Niners, in some order). Your rankings are terrible.

The Texans just pummeled a flailing Ravens team in the wake of Baltimore's key defensive losses. Beyond that, they've beaten cupcakes. I don't care who you are, if you get embarrassed the way Houston did at home against any team, as they were against the Packers, there are some big chinks in the armor. The Patriots have an elite offense and can spread the field like GB.

Great teams just don't get annihilated at home in prime time games.

Also, would you care to explain why the Packers are a top 3 team and the Patriots are not? The teams are nearly identical in strengths and flaws, and as I said, I give the Pats the edge simply because of their running game. I could see the Pqckers having a minuscule edge, but you seem to make this very black and white with little to stand on.

Last edited:
The Texans just pummeled a flailing Ravens team in the wake of Baltimore's key defensive losses. Beyond that, they've beaten cupcakes. I don't care who you are, if you get embarrassed the way Houston did at home against any team, as they were against the Packers, there are some big chinks in the armor. The Patriots have an elite offense and can spread the field like GB.

Great teams just don't get annihilated at home in prime time games.

Also, would you care to explain why the Packers are a top 3 team and the Patriots are not? The teams are nearly identical in strengths and flaws, and as I said, I give the Pats the edge simply because of their running game. I could see the Pqckers having a minuscule edge, but you seem to make this very black and white with little to stand on.

Houston losing to the Packers in Rodgers' best game of the season is their only blemish on the season. Rodgers is playing at the exact same elite level Brady is, and their offense is just as elite. I'm not going to quibble about the Pats vs. the Packers, I already said you could put the top 7 or so teams in a blender and it wouldn't make much of a difference. The only reason I put the Packers in the upper "tier" over the Pats is because the Pats' defense is still extremely suspect, a blowout win over the Rams does nothing to change that fact.

I really have no intention of making anything "black and white," my first post in this thread states the exact opposite. Perhaps I got too strong with the tier language. But the Texans at #5 and Broncos at #10 is still really, really bad.

Last edited:
I can't believe that I have read two posts and see Green Bay there for starters...and NO San Francisco here???? San Fran IS the best overall team in the NFL right now no question IMHO. The Giants are quietly chewing their way back up the list and into the "favorite" seat for the NFC side of the SB again....I swear that Coughlin and Gomer made deals with the devil as they continue to pull sh$t out of their collective a##es week after week and year after year....but let's face it....Gomer is one of the most CLUTCH (albeit Lucky) QB's of all time....Matt Ryan looks like a young TB out there...confident, poised, smart decisions, and like the true "Matty ice" that he is...leading comebacks...They will be in the hunt this year I would imagine....Cutler playing well...but keep thinking .,when will he do his ROMO impersonation and Choke??..Here would be my top 5 for best teams...

San Fran'
Houston
Atlanta
Pats
Giants/Chicago tied for 5th

All power rankings have ATL on top..i agree they are good..but i am still suspicious of their D...i still think Houston is #1 IMO

Can everyone please get off the giants nut sacks?

They play to the level of the team they are facing. That simple.

They will win the East, and maybe the NFC, then they will lose to a worse, wild card team.

The end.

Can everyone please get off the giants nut sacks?

They play to the level of the team they are facing. That simple.

They will win the East, and maybe the NFC, then they will lose to a worse, wild card team.

The end.

The problem is that they did that last year and still won the Super Bowl.

The problem is that they did that last year and still won the Super Bowl.

No, they got hot last year at the right time again and beat SF who was better than them.

No, they got hot last year at the right time again and beat SF who was better than them.

As was evidenced this season by the beat down, SF was not a better team than the Giants. The Giants were and are much more well rounded than the Niners.

As was evidenced this season by the beat down, SF was not a better team than the Giants. The Giants were and are much more well rounded than the Niners.

So, you think the 2007 Giants were a better team than the 2007 Patriots?

Answer: No

All those NFC teams seem pretty good, it's hard to call a clear winner right now (even though NYG soundly beat SF a couple weeks ago, I think it might've just been a bad day for SF. They are a tough matchup for NYG and it showed both games last year). NFC should be a dogfight like last year especially if all stay healthy, last year Chicago got killed by injuries and Atlanta wasn't as good as they are this year. ATL, NYG, SF, Chicago, GB in any order right now I could see any of those representing the NFC.

In the AFC it's hard to see anyone but us or Houston right now. Pittsburgh and Denver are outside shots, but I believe Denver is a good matchup for us and Pittsburgh even if they do get healthy doubt they stay healthy or good enough on D. We can catch another break this year if we can avoid facing Houston until the AFCC, whereas in the NFC the SB rep will have to win at least 2 very difficult games. It'll still be tougher than last year where the only tough win we had all year en route to a SB appearance was Baltimore, a bad road team, at home.

The Giants have played the 49ers 3 times in the last calendar year. The Giants have won 2 of 3.

No. The Giants got by purely on luck and blown calls that year. The Giants of 2011 beat the 49ers outright and the Giants of 2012 smacked them around in their own place. Aside from your point being completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, it's also a weak comparison.

The Giants have played the 49ers 3 times in the last calendar year. The Giants have won 2 of 3.

And smoked them in SF the last time and this was a game where everybody said SF would be amped up for revenge .

I like our chances against everyone besides the Giants. The Giants have a QB and receivers to take advantage of our awful down field coverage and they have a front four in their defense that can disrupt Brady without sending extra men. Same formula that gives us problems.

You can say that Houston can cause the same matchup problems, but I don't think Schaub is anywhere as good as Eli in critical moments. I like our chances against Houston.

Atlanta I feel is similar to Houston.

SF has Alex Smith for a QB. He is not a great deep ball thrower. I think our defense can do a decent job against him. Plus our run defense matches up well against their running game.

I think a rematch against the Broncos will be a shootout. That offense looks crazy good with Manning, but I like our chances if we play in Gillette. A game in Denver could be different.

If you sincerely believe that "mentality" or the psychological/mental toughness part of the game is "nonsense," then we don't share a common language and have very different perceptions of the NFL and what it takes to succeed.

DVOA is an interesting stat, but i have no idea what a four or five percentage point swing in that number really means, which is what puts the Giants at number four vs. number one (whatever being number one might mean).

I have the Giants at the top (a meaningless exercise anyway in week eight) simply because they got the job done last year, have had three consecutive strong victories against quality teams or quality players, have a great QB, a great Pass Rush, a great HC and a ton of attitude.

Does that mean they're going to win the SB or even have a great second half of the season? Beats the hell out of me!!! But I like their chances, as I do the chances of half a dozen other teams at this point, whatever their DOVA or whatever numbers might or might not be in a given week.

I can talk stats and correlations and standard deviations and curves and probabilities and expected value with the best of the posters on this board, but there is a limit to a number like DAOV or any individual statistic.

The list of teams better than the 2001 Patriots was a pretty long one too, but few remember or care who they were, just like in 2007.

You are what your record says. Falcons are 7-0 and nobody has managed to beat them yet. They performed the best with the games they were given. So they deserve to be where they are right now which is #1.

Now does that make them the most talented team? No, they don't appear to be the most talented team in the NFL, but talent doesn't always win now does it? Teams can underperform their talent or they can perform above that level when they all work together on the same page.

Do I think the Falcons are beatable? Absolutely. But some team has to step up and actually do it first.

What about a creampuff Falcons schedule? So what, wasn't the Pats schedule projected as one of the weakest in the NFL when it was issued? And what have we done with it so far? 5-3.

You are what your record says you are... for now. But there's a long season to go, still 8 more games to play for the Pats. They are still worthy of conversation as a top team trending upwards, but for now Pats are looking up at the standings to teams like the Falcons, the Texans, the Bears, the Ravens and the Niners. Oh yeah let's not forget the Giants.

But the Pats are primed to go on a run. Don't be surprised if they get talked about a lot more in upcoming weeks, especially as the playoffs approach!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference