PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is still available at OG???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder is too tall and seem to me have pad level issues. You want your gaurds at 6 3 range , lower to ground and stocky. He is a tall athletic guy not someone you want to matchup against shorter DT who have a natural leverage due his height.

Light played a bit but is clearly better now, why does every one want to put solder there. We saw that against a decent DE he struggled. You want to let freeney go after Solder ?. We clearly have a issue at gaurd.

I will call Woody , who mentioned in NFL network he will love to play for the pats.A 1 yr stop gap and good player.

Funny Neal used to get crushed or valued less till he retired.

-Gronk is missed alot of his assignement. We where so used to crumpler delivering the whamp block and chipping and taking on DT while running run around stunts that we thought gronk is ready. I am more worried here. Gronk flat out missing his guy twice leading a direct hit on brady,.

Well what did he have to say?

Had I known it was Tom Rowe's opinion I never would have questioned it.

Who is he?

Rowe is a basic local ESPN guy that comments on the Pats and Bruins. He did not originate this story AFAIK, he just repeated it.

A) I don't remember Vrabel saying anything idiotic.
B) Woody's comments back in Jan is just plain dumb...esp since he was part of our Championship run. Maybe he should give back the rings.

Please no one ask me for citations, but the word on Vrabel was that was very assertive at team meetings. At first BB supposedly liked it, but later on he found it to be a major drag on what he was trying to do.

After Vrabel was gone I believe he was somewhat upset, but I can't remember specifics.

If anyone else has anything more complete, or quote, by all means, add it.

Light will be relegated to an expensive spare part soon enough.

Not agreeing with this thought at all. Not sure what makes you think that Solder is anywhere near being able to take over Light's role? He was the best option at 17, leverage/insurance for the Light negotiations, and a pick for the future of the O-line.

I agree with those who say that he'll be given some valuable reps at the position, and will be blended in--but I don't see what would make you believe that he will immedaitely take over Light's role, or worse yet--that Light will be an 'expensive spare part.' There's no way that he'd have gotten that kind of decent money if BB didn't plan on using him here.

I realize that Solder is not projected or isn't a good fit for RG right now (even though he took reps in TC there), but if he's going to start on the line, that's where I personally would expect him. With all of these crazy scenarios of moving multiple players around, you'd have the option of leaving everyone where they are used to/best at, while simply plugging Solder at RG for the time being. I really don't see BB moving all kind of parts around.

A) I don't remember Vrabel saying anything idiotic.
B) Woody's comments back in Jan is just plain dumb...esp since he was part of our Championship run. Maybe he should give back the rings.

Vrabel actually was very critical of the patriots place. Towards the end he would harp on the fact that players played not coaches .

Wood was a jet , i am sure i can dig up stuff that ellis has said over his 11 yrs with Jets. who is the OL guy who was very critical on NFL network about spygate and a year later BB actually tried to get him.

satz

Vrabel actually was very critical of the patriots place. Towards the end he would harp on the fact that players played not coaches .

Wood was a jet , i am sure i can dig up stuff that ellis has said over his 11 yrs with Jets. who is the OL guy who was very critical on NFL network about spygate and a year later BB actually tried to get him.

satz

But that was between Mr. Kraft and Vrabel, a player rep and one of the top reps for the Union.
Like someone said in this thread, those words aren't as bad as what Ty Law and Mankins said about the Pats.

But that was between Mr. Kraft and Vrabel, a player rep and one of the top reps for the Union.
Like someone said in this thread, those words aren't as bad as what Ty Law and Mankins said about the Pats.

exactly , so claiming woody is a bad choice due to something 1 liner he said as a jet is dumb. He is a really good choice and he can help koppen and vollmer.

satz

Not agreeing with this thought at all. Not sure what makes you think that Solder is anywhere near being able to take over Light's role? He was the best option at 17, leverage/insurance for the Light negotiations, and a pick for the future of the O-line.

It's a combination of factors. Why Light, who is aging, no longer at his peak, and has been chewed up and spit out in several recent playoff games continues to be seen as a top player surprises me. BB isn't infallible at OL moves, witness Kaczur's last extension.

As for Solder, he appears to be something like Vollmer, but better (meaning the Vollmer prior to his first game as a rookie). More agile and a higher ceiling, expected to fill a more difficult position.

I agree with those who say that he'll be given some valuable reps at the position, and will be blended in--but I don't see what would make you believe that he will immedaitely take over Light's role, or worse yet--that Light will be an 'expensive spare part.' There's no way that he'd have gotten that kind of decent money if BB didn't plan on using him here.

Also, since Light's contract is more then 1 year, my statement doesn't have to come true at game 4, 8, or 12 this year to be true. I think before Light's contract is up he will indeed be an overpriced spare part. That's my projection - a 33 year and 2 month old LT that is getting more porous, and has laid some notable eggs in the recent post season games isn't going to be playing a lot of T deep into the contract, unless one of the two other guys have injury issues.

I realize that Solder is not projected or isn't a good fit for RG right now (even though he took reps in TC there), but if he's going to start on the line, that's where I personally would expect him. With all of these crazy scenarios of moving multiple players around, you'd have the option of leaving everyone where they are used to/best at, while simply plugging Solder at RG for the time being. I really don't see BB moving all kind of parts around.

That makes a good amount of sense, but as always BB will do as he will.

It's a combination of factors. Why Light, who is aging, no longer at his peak, and has been chewed up and spit out in several recent playoff games continues to be seen as a top player surprises me. BB isn't infallible at OL moves, witness Kaczur's last extension.

As for Solder, he appears to be something like Vollmer, but better (meaning the Vollmer prior to his first game as a rookie). More agile and a higher ceiling, expected to fill a more difficult position.

Also, since Light's contract is more then 1 year, my statement doesn't have to come true at game 4, 8, or 12 this year to be true. I think before Light's contract is up he will indeed be an overpriced spare part. That's my projection - a 33 year and 2 month old LT that is getting more porous, and has laid some notable eggs in the recent post season games isn't going to be playing a lot of T deep into the contract, unless one of the two other guys have injury issues.

That makes a good amount of sense, but as always BB will do as he will.

That's fair enough bagwell.

If your argument is that Light may not be worth his money by the end of the next 2 yrs or so, I would think that many may feel the same. Only time will tell of course. I do think that BB values him pretty highly, by his recent extension though. I also think that Solder will not be protecting TB's blindside at LT (barring injury) during the first yr, but to each his own. I fully respect your opinion, just like most others'.

Isn't shaun o'hara still available? Lets sign him to a 1 year and draft a guard next year with 1 of our two 1st round picks

One problem with OL's makeup right now, is we have 3 starting LT's and only 1 starter everywhere else.

We've been spoiled recently with the ever ready OL replace-a-player. Fill-ins to the OL might be a issue that looms a bit larger than usual this season.

Unless we get hurt at LT of course :)

That's fair enough bagwell.

If your argument is that Light may not be worth his money by the end of the next 2 yrs or so, I would think that many may feel the same. Only time will tell of course. I do think that BB values him pretty highly, by his recent extension though. I also think that Solder will not be protecting TB's blindside at LT (barring injury) during the first yr, but to each his own. I fully respect your opinion, just like most others'.

Good response. Let's say Light is worth 100% of his check at week 1, and 45% at week 32. You'd be right at the start, I'd be right at the back end. The only question is when did the down trend start, and why? Injury, age, or just outstripped by a younger and better player? That's the thing about insurance. You may not need it, but it's comforting to have it. Since BB is so careful about the cap in some areas - OG, RB, LB, S - he can spend more lavishly in picks and cash for OT's, CB's, DL's. I'm pretty sure when Light heads to the bench, that's he'll be the one of highest paid back-up OT's.

Anyhow back at draft time I thought they might do Solder at RT for a year with Vollmer at LT, but, BB said he wouldn't, and the RG position being weak now, it's probably too risky to have Solder at RT. Given what Solder doesn't know, and his height, RG doesn't seem like a good fit. Let's see who BB can get into camp, and find out who Dante can coach up the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back