PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is Peyton going to throw under the bus this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how long before Polian lobbies to get the overtime rules changed:p

I've heard BB say he'd prefer a full quarter of OT, no sudden death. Makes more sense to me.

Thre three absolutely correct calls in OT were, in reverse order, an obvious facemask, illegal contact well beyond 5 yards on the intended receiver, and a takedown-by-the-collar tackle of the lead blocker on a screenplay.

If you don't want penalties called, don't make obvious penalties

You think that facemask was "ticky-tack"?. Did you not see the replay?

Wow...

I don't think that Linda Blair's head turned around any more than Sproles did on that play. I'm actually stunned that the refs called the penalty and made the Colts play by the rules of the other 31 teams......

This is Peyton's 6th one and done when he lost his only layoff game. In 9 years of playoffs, he has only won a game in 3 of those years. By contrast Tom Brady has never had a one and done, winning a playoff game in each of the six years he made the playoffs...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00_playoffs.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00_playoffs.htm

Last edited:
I don't think that Linda Blair's head turned around any more than Sproles did on that play. I'm actually stunned that the refs called the penalty and made the Colts play by the rules of the other 31 teams......

This is Peyton's 6th one and done when he lost his only layoff game. In 9 years of playoffs, he has only won a game in 3 of those years. By contrast Tom Brady has never had a one and done, winning a playoff game in each of the six years he made the playoffs...

Peyton Manning Gamelogs and Game Logs - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Tom Brady Gamelogs and Game Logs - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Ahh, poor Colts fans. Bradyless league and they can't get past the first round. That'll leave a mark for the next 6 months.

This year: Playoff seeding system. While he may not say it out loud, I am sure he (and the colts organization) are pissed they, a 12-4 team, had to play a road game at an 8-8 team.

I think the results are different if they play in Indy with all the pipped in noise and stuff :D

Although they made the playoffs and the Pats didn't, both teams had to deal with the current (and maybe not fair) playoff system, but that's another topic.

I thought the holding call on the receiver was ticky-tack and bogus (though Polian is the guy who pushed for that kind of call) but the fumble at the end of the first half should have gone to the Chargers, except the replay booth for some reason holds to this indisputable evidence standard when it's obvious the refs have no freakin' clue if it was a fumble or not.

So the bad calls evened out.

Some pretty awful officiating; the Refs handed SD the game on a platter and they still almost blew it.

No, San Diego "almost" handed the Colts the game on a platter! San Diego could/should have blown the Colts out had they not turned the ball over in the red-zone so often. The Chargers out-played the Colts in every facet of the game and should have won.

Thankfully, they did win!

Last edited:
There's a difference between non-calls that are rarely called (pick plays) and calling ticky-tack Def Holding and facemask penalties on a game winning drive in the freaking playoffs. They called two huge penalties when the Colts had SD stopped cold. That crew was bad.

Those were not ticky tack calls. They were blatant fouls (that sometimes are let go in the playoffs and shouldn't be). Did you watch the replay of the facemask? Not only did #55 deliberately grab and hold Sproules' mask, but it appeared he was sticking his fingers in trying to poke the guy's eyes out.

It was clear that the Colt's D was frustrated with Sproules running all over them and was trying to hurt him to get him out of the game. That is "okay" if it's legal, but Id' say the Colt's D blew it by committing stupid penalties when they had a chance to stop SD (although they weren't able to do so with Sproules all night), rather than the officiating crew was bad. I thought they did a pretty good job and "let them play" earlier in the game. They couldn't overlook those dumb moves, however.

If I'm not mistaken he is now 7-8 all-time in the playoffs, and that includes one year when they went 4-0. Many of those 8 losses the Colts were favored.

he's 7-9

brady's 14-3

It's not "awful officiating" if said officiating occurs during the game winning drive. It's still part of the game and needs to be officiated.

The Colts were clearly panicking a bit and made some very stupid and very obvious fouls. They were deservedly called.

Besides after the horrendous call the Chargers received during that Denver game many moons ago, I'd say they were due for some decent calls their way. That call actually was wrong and actually did cost them a game.

Himself. He may have threw over 300 yards, and was great in the overall passing game, but he put up 17 friggin' points. That's not enough to win most playoff games.

He deserves some of that humble pie fo' sho. SD's D also missed at least 2 INT (that I can think of) by a hair,I mean they were close calls.

There's a difference between non-calls that are rarely called (pick plays) and calling ticky-tack Def Holding and facemask penalties on a game winning drive in the freaking playoffs. They called two huge penalties when the Colts had SD stopped cold. That crew was bad.

That's just a little bit of bad officiating karma for the Colts, anybody remember "face guarding"?

The holding call was obvious and well shown on replay. The facemask, the defender clearly grabbed and turned Sproles head, another obvious MUST call. The only question was on the contact beyond 5 yds defensive holding. Yes it happened and was again clear on replay, however that call is usually reserved for teams playing the Colts, not the Colts themselves. That's why it seemed unusual. :)

That was a true defensive meltdown by the Colts. Were the Pats to be as egregious, the Patsfans server would crash. Oh wait...

All the calls on the Colts were legit. Stupid, stupid penalty by Session made me feel SO good. All year we watched the Colts get every stupid little break and when it mattered the most they make the mistake. What a great night.

no, the colts finally played a fairly officiated playoff game, and got their butts handed to them

the close calls were spread pretty much evenly, and there were no obvious penalties agaisnt the Colts, but the PI was ridicoulsy bad, and the only bad call all game, and it helped the colts out

no, the colts finally played a fairly officiated playoff game, and got their butts handed to them

the close calls were spread pretty much evenly, and there were no obvious penalties agaisnt the Colts, but the PI was ridicoulsy bad, and the only bad call all game, and it helped the colts out

You mean the pass interference call against Jammer in the 4th quarter correct? Yea, I felt that was a ticky tacky foul as Jammer barely touched the receivers arm for a brief second. Overall though I was very satisfied with the officiating crew; they had many chances to screw the Chargers and help the Colts like refs usually do in the playoffs but they didn't take those chances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes