PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is going free agent for linebackers this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Bruschi and Seau both kept playing, we need another starter inside.
The only way this wouldn't be true is if we keep Colvin, move Thomas back to ILB and draft a young OLB or if they still have some confidence in Woods - which I'm starting to doubt as he still hasn't seen the field on defense.

I would love to know if the plan is to put Thomas back inside or if he was planned as Colvin's replacement with Colvin's contract big the last year (2008).

is Tatupu a free agent this year or next?? he would fit right into this system

I don't know much about players on other teams so I'll stick to NE linebackers.

I want to see Thomas and Vrabel at OLB next year. Both are much better players outside. With Colvin's bonus I kind of hope he's gone. Maybe if Colvin would be willing to come back cheap you do what they've been doing all year with Colvin and Vrabel outside and Thomas doing whatever he's been doing.

I don't understand why people think Seau will retire. Have you been watching the team this year? The guy is playing well and having a great time out there. Add to this the fact that he already tried retirement and didn't like it and I only see an injury keeping him from playing next year. Even if he wins a ring he'll probably want another.

As for Bruschi, who knows. He might just want to spend time with the wife and kid and go out with a ring before he declines even more. He loves the game, his team, and his coach so I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around longer either.

Why would we cut Colvin? He is well worth the $5.5M he will be paid for the 2008 season. The issue is whether an extension can be worked out, and for how many years.

Look what Belichick just paid for Thomas!

I don't know why. He's having a great year, playing at a very high level and having a blast.

I was thinking the same thing the other day; I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back for one more go-round with the Pats.

Look as patriot fans we all love brushci and think its great that seau has contributed but lets be real here its time to look at the future at these positions. keep colvin, keep vrabel, keep thomas, but slower guys like bruschi and seau are gonna retire very soon, its almost a given seau is going to be gone especially after this year especially if we win it all bruschi could do the same if not next year so yes patriots draft an excellent LB with the #7 pick or please sign a free agent a top free agent PLEASE!

There is a BIG difference in expecting an older guy to play EVERY SNAP versus pacing himself, tutoring a newcomer, and taking snaps in a rotation.

The situation at S or LB would be much more serious if there were no one else. But if BB asked any of the oldtimers to come back, I believe everyone would. And all are in a situation where they are already in a rotation, so they can and do pace themselves.

I keep hearing that we can't afford this guy, or that guy. Nonsense!!

Miquel says we have almost $12 million dollars of CAP room and with a re-negotiation or three could be pushing $20 million of CAP room. The Patriots could sign every one of their FAs, and sign at least one major prize like Karlos Dansby, IN ADDITION.

Before y'all spout about paying Asante look at what we paid him this year, and another milion or million and a half is all that is necessary to resign him. Moss needs another three million or so to convert his present earnings to a long term contract. Both could have been done with this year's CAP and are easy to do with next year's CAP situation. :eek:

This year there will be four prime first day picks who wil be relatively cheap contracts, even before the normal complement of picks is also added.

The 2008 Team will be younger and stronger than this 2007 Team. Book it. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference