PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is going free agent for linebackers this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got that from rotoworld

Wow, thank you. All I can say is wow, if the Patriots land him in free agency they have a stud in the middle for the next 5 years. It would change the whole approach to the draft.

Thanks again, I am stunned. BB loves this kid and Saban can provide scouting details.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you. All I can say is wow, if the Patriots land him in free agency they have a stud in the middle for the next 5 years. I would change the whole approach to the draft.

Thanks again, I am stunned. BB loves this kid and Saban can provide scouting details.

thats 1 thing im trying to find..people who can opt out of contracts. Could be a more talented FA list than it looks

Biggest and best FA will colvin if we cut him.When we cut him we loss our fastest LB in space with respective to lateral movement and some one who gives headaches to bigger tackles who cannot handle fast speed rushers.In 4-3 where we need speed we lose that formation.

bru has been good this year playing 35 snaps on defence and disappers on extensive plays so lets keep him that way. in that case AD needs to be the strong side MLB we need .His is the one who is going to be calling the plays on defence and i think we need some one who has played every position in defence their. His speed and size with his smarts will be needed their.

Inside
AD/bru/seau/lua/eric/Rookie
Outside
Vrabel/Colvin/Woods/Rookie

we need 2 good rookies and that that will be good .chowder disappers in miami playing on jason side .... we stick him here he will be another beisel.

Last edited:
Biggest and best FA will colvin if we cut him.When we cut him we loss our fastest LB in space with respective to lateral movement and some one who gives headaches to bigger tackles who cannot handle fast speed rushers.In 4-3 where we need speed we lose that formation.

bru has been good this year playing 35 snaps on defence and disappers on extensive plays so lets keep him that way. in that case AD needs to be the strong side MLB we need .His is the one who is going to be calling the plays on defence and i think we need some one who has played every position in defence their. His speed and size with his smarts will be needed their.

Inside
Outside

we need 2 good rookies and that that will be good .chowder disappers in miami playing on jason side .... we stick him here he will be another beisel.

I think we should really get used to the idea that Seau and Bruschi won't be back next year. Seau has played pretty well but Bruschi is really just barely hanging on using all his guts and smarts to compete.

I have been driving the Crowder bang wagon for a while and don't plan on stopping now. He could play in the Pats system and would be an immediate upgrade over Bruschi. If Bruschi returns then you have the high class problem of playing Bruschi, AD and Crowder in a rotation.

I think we should really get used to the idea that Seau and Bruschi won't be back next year. Seau has played pretty well but Bruschi is really just barely hanging on using all his guts and smarts to compete.

Of course Bruschi will be back. He might not be starting, but do you seriously think Belichick would let him go? Bruschi knows the scheme better than anyone alive and is better than any other backup on the Pats now or readily available (for reasonably money) on the open market.

And don't tell me he'll retire because he loves the game of football too much.

I have been driving the Crowder bang wagon for a while and don't plan on stopping now. He could play in the Pats system and would be an immediate upgrade over Bruschi. If Bruschi returns then you have the high class problem of playing Bruschi, AD and Crowder in a rotation.

1. Bruschi leads the team in tackles

2. Dolphins fans aren't nearly as enamored with Crowder as you are:

http://celtkin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1954

i just read Channing Crowder of Miami can opt out of his rookie contract this offsesaon

Even so, that would make him an RFA.

Inside
Outside

I seriously doubt Bruschi and Seau will be back next year, especially considering both will most likely retire.

I can think of one guy who will be a FA, and would be a classic BB LB signing (formerly outstanding player, smart, still able to contribute):

Tedy Bruschi.

I'm guessing Colvin will be re-signed for moderate money as well.

I presume you mean to say that we should extend Colvin. He is not a free agent.

I can think of one guy who will be a FA, and would be a classic BB LB signing (formerly outstanding player, smart, still able to contribute):

Tedy Bruschi.

I'm guessing Colvin will be re-signed for moderate money as well.

Colvin wont get that much on the market

He will be damaged goods, but he knows the system so we will certainly ask him to reneg. his contract. My guess is he will. For the inside, I think Brushi has lost a step(I still love the guys heart)but has good ties to the area. Seau SHOULD be gone, but if Mauagula comes out wouldnt he like to mentor him a bit?? USC guys, and BB loves this guy, the only LB I can see him taking the first day. Considering the day he had today they likely cant even trade back to get him either. This kinda solves the "problem" we had about finding a player at pick#7 worth the money.

Bru will be back his play making has increased and remember playing part time he is leading the team in tackles. I think in a 50% snap split he is very effective. Seau i am not sure he will come back but if offered the same 50% split scenario he might play another year.

Colvin`s numbers can be converted to a signing bonus and signed for 4/12 million yr contract .This means he will be avg 3 million on the cap for 4 yrs whic is very friendly.

I do not think taking the miami product is good i post in finheaven and man this guy taken a beating for 2 yrs. He randomly disappers for games on end.
what we need is 2 rookies and lua i have a feeling is one so that means we need 1 more.

eric and woods i am hoping one would step up this year.

No Maualuga, he's said he's staying.

I don't expect much in the ways of FA signings this year. I expect Seau to retire, but have Bruschi/Vrabel/AD/Covlin back so the need for a top tier LB is not that big. If we draft a LB in day one that should provide enough depth to get us thru the year.

But, 1 injury away from disaster and when I say disaster, I mean 4-3 defense. Only solution having Jarvis on the Bench.. Need 1 more top LB

HE WILL DRAFT ONE THIS YEAR. He has considered it recently - Beason, Vilma and others - but it hasn't happened.
It's really nice of you to share your gift of clairvoyance with us. :D ;)

Calvin Pace is coming off his rookie contract with AZ and has developed into a solid 5th year player. Plus he's got the size (6'4"/270lbs) and atheleticism BB loves in his LB's. He's played OLB in AZ's 4/3, but with Dansby also becoming a FA, the Cards have already opened talks with Pace about an extension. An under the radar type to keep an eye on.

Dontarrious Thomas, a disappointment for the Vikings, could be a change of scenery type BB might give a shot to since Thomas was once considered a solid prospect coming out of Auburn.

It's a lot of guesswork when it comes to Bruschi, nobody really knows--he's been going year by year for awhile. My guess would be, if the Pats go 19-0, he would retire. Yes, he's still getting it done, but he's just a whisker away from not being able to. I think he knows himself pretty well, and is too much of a prideful guy to end up stumbling off the stage, or being a glorified back-up.

But, 1 injury away from disaster and when I say disaster, I mean 4-3 defense. Only solution having Jarvis on the Bench.. Need 1 more top LB

4-3 we play with no colvin is slow poke 4-3 ...... it will be a mess.

Calvin Pace is coming off his rookie contract with AZ

i just read Channing Crowder of Miami can opt out of his rookie contract this offsesaon
Pace looked really good this year but Crowder seems more likely depending on what Saban tells Belichick about him off the field. Pace's play was enough that I expect Arizona to throw $$$ at him to keep him off the market - Crowder was good enough to intrigue but not so good that Parcells will freak out if he leaves.

Clark Haggans is a guy I think we might show interest in. He's an OLB for the Steelers, expericenced, but still young.

Another guy who I personally really like and would not surprised if we target is Victor Hobson, LB for the Jets. Physical, plays in a similar system, has played both inside and out. I think he'd be a great fit at ILB.

Nice choices! But FWIW:

Clark Haggans born 01/10/1977
Rosevelt Colvin born 09/5/1977

Either one would be fine with me, but I'm increasingly picturing AD remaining outside too in 2008. He and Vrabel make a nice pair of bookends.

Hobson, Crowder and Dansby are about it for starting ILBs. Even if Bruschi and Seau both kept playing, we need another starter inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes