Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

which TE do you want the Patriots to draft?

• Jace Amaro

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • CJ Fiedorowicz

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Troy Niklas

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None of the above, wait until day 3

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

Leemo

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Which TE do you want us to draft? Tell us why in thread to go with the vote.

I was more in the "get a big body later as a backup" camp until yesterday. Now with Mike Freeman's quotes (I don't care if it's on Bleacher Report, Freeman is a good reporter) about Gronk taking his time then taking more time - JUST like last year's debacle - I am hoping for ASJ, someone who has legitimate starter potential down the road. I would say Niklas but his testing numbers were so bad they made Fiederowicz blush. I had decided, again, we'd be fine with a backup just hoping Gronk didn't have an unlucky injury again. Now that it appears that last year's (taking forever to come back) Gronk probably is the real one, it's moved way up on my list.

From a combination of talent, potential and value - Fiedorowicz.

At worst you get a more athletic Jake Ballard (pre-injury) at best you get Gronk-lite (just look at some of his TD catches) + he's the best blocking TE in the draft. In the 3rd round that is fantastic value. He may need a year to develop his ability to get off the LOS when bumped, though.

From a day 1 instant impact perspective - ASJ, he's big & fairly athletic and could start week 1 and require teams to put some kind of plan in place for him.

Wouldn't be disappointed if they came away with both of them to be perfectly honest.

I was more in the "get a big body later as a backup" camp until yesterday. Now with Mike Freeman's quotes (I don't care if it's on Bleacher Report, Freeman is a good reporter) about Gronk taking his time then taking more time - JUST like last year's debacle - I am hoping for ASJ, someone who has legitimate starter potential down the road. I would say Niklas but his testing numbers were so bad they made Fiederowicz blush. I had decided, again, we'd be fine with a backup just hoping Gronk didn't have an unlucky injury again. Now that it appears that last year's (taking forever to come back) Gronk probably is the real one, it's moved way up on my list.

Realistically, it'd be a big mistake to bank on Kong being 100% before 2015.

He's being smart, to take it slowly.

And who gives a damn if he's available in September, anyway?

If he takes it slowly, doesn't play until Halloween, and then goes with a PitchCount until New Year's Day, allowing him to Take It Through The Gears ~ to heal ~ and arrive for the PlayOffs well rested and ready to roll, I'll be ecstatic. I'm so sick of rushing him back so he's not there when it actually matters.

Last edited:
Realistically, it'd be a big mistake to bank on Kong being 100% before 2015.

He's being smart, to take it slowly
Well I'm not getting into that here also but my expectation have certainly changed, no longer do we have 75% (or more) or Gronk barring new injury. Instead we have a big question mark. Time to draft one who can play this year and possibly be the long term starter. Hopefully ASJ interviews well or Niklas' three cone is explainable because it was awful.

Time to draft one who can play this year and possibly be the long term starter.

In my opinion ~ oft stated over the Years ~ the time to draft Depth is before you need it.

But you'll get no argument from me: Better Late Than Never.

In my opinion ~ oft stated over the Years ~ the time to draft Depth is before you need it.

But you'll get no argument from me: Better Late Than Never.
Agreed but we are where we are. This time last year a couple of major events related to TE hadn't occured :(

In order of preference...

1. ASJ
2. Niklas
3. Amaro
4. Fiedorowicz

Of course, I would love Ebron too and he would probably vault to the top of the list, but he should be long gone by then. I was very anti-CJ up until a few weeks ago and now I'm slowly starting to come around on him. ASJ is still my favorite attainable TE in this draft, though.

It's hard to choose a player without thinking in terms of draft capital. I think a lot of folks are drawn to Fiedorowicz because they see him as a mid-round bargain. But with this weak TE class full of injury risks and head cases, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go higher than he really should and one or more of the guys above him to slip lower than we expect.

I was very anti-CJ up until a few weeks ago and now I'm slowly starting to come around on him.
He has me confused. I guess his game speed must not match his testing speed because at the combine he was close to Gronk - a little less long speed and explosion, better short area quickness, close in size, but those he was lacking in weren't way off. I've rarely seen him play, I don't watch much Big 10. His numbers are actually very comparable to Amaro's who is supposed to be this superior catching TE. CJ has me very confused.

It's hard to choose a player without thinking in terms of draft capital. I think a lot of folks are drawn to Fiedorowicz because they see him as a mid-round bargain. But with this weak TE class full of injury risks and head cases, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go higher than he really should and one or more of the guys above him to slip lower than we expect.

Since you're on the topic of potential busts and head cases, I think the guy in that group that has the most potential is Niklas. If you watched him in 2012, you would see a guy that's as raw as baby's ass. He had trouble adjusting to tougher throws, tracking the ball in the air, and also had some issues with his route running. But he's becoming much more polished as a TE. You could see the difference in 2013 as it looked like he was finally becoming more comfortable with the system. I see a potential Jimmy Graham in him, except he's a much more capable and natural blocker. I would prefer ASJ but if the team got Niklas as a consolation prize, I would be a very happy man.

He has me confused. I guess his game speed must not match his testing speed because at the combine he was close to Gronk - a little less long speed and explosion, better short area quickness, close in size, but those he was lacking in weren't way off. I've rarely seen him play, I don't watch much Big 10. His numbers are actually very comparable to Amaro's who is supposed to be this superior catching TE. CJ has me very confused.

Same here. He was a little inconsistent in college. In some games he would look like a world beater. In others, he looked lost. That's why I had him 4th (5th if you include Ebron) on my list.

Since you're on the topic of potential busts and head cases, I think the guy in that group that has the most potential is Niklas. If you watched him in 2012, you would see a guy that's as raw as baby's ass. He had trouble adjusting to tougher throws, tracking the ball in the air, and also had some issues with his route running. But he's becoming much more polished as a TE. You could see the difference in 2013 as it looked like he was finally becoming more comfortable with the system. I see a potential Jimmy Graham in him, except he's a much more capable and natural blocker. I would prefer ASJ but if the team got Niklas as a consolation prize, I would be a very happy man.

And this is where we get to the "injury risks" side of my "injury risks and head cases." Niklas is reported to have a worrying history of multiple concussions. :(

Yeah that's what's worrying for me too. If it weren't for his injury history, I would probably have him ahead of ASJ.

Always beleaved Josh McD liked 3 WR spred more then 2x TE. And with that in mind, then i doubt BB and Crew values a need at TE as high as the rest of us. I fear they would be ok with a TE with 62 or lower, guessing CJF would be fine :(

1. Ebron
2. ASJ
3. Amaro
4. Niklas
5. Fiedorowicz

I believe the best obtainable TE for us is ASJ. I also feel that Ebron and Amaro are likely to be gone by pick #29. I am not optimistic that any of these 5 TEs will last till 62 except for Fiedorowicz.

Always beleaved Josh McD liked 3 WR spred more then 2x TE. And with that in mind, then i doubt BB and Crew values a need at TE as high as the rest of us. I fear they would be ok with a TE with 62 or lower, guessing CJF would be fine :(
You may be right, but they need to value a two TE offense with as many threats at WR as possible. That's what's uncoverable in this league. The 2011 squad fielded one of the worst pass defenses in a pass happy league of all time (2nd worst at that point) but the Pats still got to the Super Bowl because the two TE offense was so hard to cover. Now, imagine a two TE offense with the likes of Amendola and Edelman patrolling between the numbers and Dobson with another receiving threat working outside the numbers. The Patriots offense would be very difficult to slow down if they have all hands on deck.

Always beleaved Josh McD liked 3 WR spred more then 2x TE. And with that in mind, then i doubt BB and Crew values a need at TE as high as the rest of us.
Agreed, I've said that multiple times. O'Brien was the one who loved TE, we heard it when he took over from Josh and then it was implemented. Supposedly that's what the shouting match between O'Brien and Moss was about on the flight from Miami - not just that Moss didn't catch a pass but that the TE was the new emphasis of the offense not Moss. Fast forward to this offseason, we need a TE and barely look at them, we have good quantity, if not quality, at WR and sign a guy a little above journeyman when we already have a good number of WR.

They may surprise me, it wouldn't be the first (or second or third) time but I think Josh is much more interested in finding the next Demarius Thomas than the next Rob Gronkowski.

All that said, we have Gronk and we need a startable, playable backup for when he's out - which appears like it will be the start of the season. Or maybe Josh is fine with journeyan types until Gronk gets back. I'll be honest, I'm really down on Gronk right now if the report were true, which is why I moved TE up my list. I forget now if I were replying to what I would do or what I expect. I WOULD look at ASJ if we can get him at appropriate value. I EXPECT a TE later, whether it's CJF or another blocking type who's a little better than HooMan but not a stud. And I could see a later pick or UDFA who's more athletic like the Cincy kid just for some matchups.

Sefarian-Jenkins. there are some questions with him but he is best suited to play the complementary role to Gronkowski and could cause serious match-up problems for opposing defenses, especially in the red zone. i think the two TE offense is a key for beating the best defenses and i would use a first on him if he is there at #29. If Fiedorowicz is there at #95 I would seriously consider double dipping, and i would also look at richard Rodgers or another TE late if Fiedorowicz and Niklas are gone when they pick on day 2.

I guess for me it comes down to where can I get them. I don't want to have to use a 1st rounder on ASJ or Amaro. If I can get Niklas at the end of 2 or CJF at then end of 3, I would feel better about it.

I guess for me it comes down to where can I get them. I don't want to have to use a 1st rounder on ASJ or Amaro. If I can get Niklas at the end of 2 or CJF at then end of 3, I would feel better about it.

The problem is that this class of TE's is so weak that the top five will likely go higher than they should. many teams want to go to two Te's and this class is as weak as it gets. the only one I expect to still be around at #62 is Fiedorowicz with an outside possibility of Amaro still on the board.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back