Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which offensive style do you like better?

• Air game/gunslinger/big yardage in the air/QB centric

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Smashmouth/grinding/run focused/QB less key

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Possession/game manager/short passes/control the clock and the ball

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Two way/ running QB/RPO and triple option

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Something else.

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
Personally I don't want a "style". I want to be the team that morphs into whatever is needed to win on THAT particular week. That's when the Pats are at their best.

That being said, you first have to build an offense that can do that. You need to have at least 2 strong RB's to take the beating of a long season, PLUS a 3rd down threat. You need a strong OL who can excel both in protection and the run. You need to have WR's who are smart, talented and above all flexible enough to line up all over the field. Most importantly, you need a QB who can lead and throw accurately enough to move the chains and excel in the red zone. I would like for the offense NOT to have an identity, but rather be like the defense often is, seemingly almost "positionless" . On week against a team who is good against the run, come out and air it out early and often, If they have a strong secondary and great, but smallish edge rushers, pound the **** out of them.

Unfortunately that is an ULTIMATE goal. This year is all about finding out what this offense is capable of doing, so we won't see it happening overnight. My HOPE is that we end up with Maye OR Daniels and we they are disciplined enough to be "game managers". That our OC controls his development and we see his impact grow as he develops.

I think a stat line like 3500 yds - 20 TD's and 9 picks and something like 40 sacks would be an OUTSTANDING performance.
I was with you until 40 sacks

Personally I don't want a "style". I want to be the team that morphs into whatever is needed to win on THAT particular week. That's when the Pats are at their best.

That being said, you first have to build an offense that can do that. You need to have at least 2 strong RB's to take the beating of a long season, PLUS a 3rd down threat. You need a strong OL who can excel both in protection and the run. You need to have WR's who are smart, talented and above all flexible enough to line up all over the field. Most importantly, you need a QB who can lead and throw accurately enough to move the chains and excel in the red zone. I would like for the offense NOT to have an identity, but rather be like the defense often is, seemingly almost "positionless" . On week against a team who is good against the run, come out and air it out early and often, If they have a strong secondary and great, but smallish edge rushers, pound the **** out of them.

Unfortunately that is an ULTIMATE goal. This year is all about finding out what this offense is capable of doing, so we won't see it happening overnight. My HOPE is that we end up with Maye OR Daniels and we they are disciplined enough to be "game managers". That our OC controls his development and we see his impact grow as he develops.

I think a stat line like 3500 yds - 20 TD's and 9 picks and something like 40 sacks would be an OUTSTANDING performance.
Your rookie qb ain't starting in all likely hood so your numbers would change. We have not received any actual #1 type weapons in F.A. i.m.o. These last 4 years has to be looked at as an abject failure hence coach is gone. This upcoming year is a rebuild. I'm a guy that follows the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. The greatest coach ever taught us the dink and dunk offense. I would repeat that strategy. The greatest coach ever was a value guy. The greatest coach ever had great teachers in coaching early. The greatest qb scrapped his way to the top. Very coach able and brought no baggage. Practice hard and strive for excellence from his receivers. Lessons learned. Get receivers that get open often. Don't fall in love with the consensus pick. As a fan I'm in the minority. I want the most sure offensive bets this off-season in the draft. Big game players make big plays, aka Gronk! Get the car right before we get the driver. Buy the key ingredients before we hire the chef! MHJ! Rant over.

Last edited:
If your offensive line is big and powerful, if your defense is dominant you can win a ring with Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer at QB.

Start there, and eventually you can add firepower at QB and WR through the draft. Being bigger and stronger than the other guy never goes out of style.

If your offensive line is big and powerful, if your defense is dominant you can win a ring with Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer at QB.

Start there, and eventually you can add firepower at QB and WR through the draft. Being bigger and stronger than the other guy never goes out
Is the template you propose still work in 2024? I'm ok if they pursue Alt. Still a guaranteed Starter, no flash but it's a building which needs a foundation first.

Last edited:
I like a mobile QB, dual threat RB, two tall TE and playmaker WRs, have a gadget guy available too. Lots of options, and don’t turn the ball over

Is the template you propose still work in 2024?

The basics of football don't change from year to year. A good offensive line is the bedrock on which every great offense is built. Patrick Mahomes in SB55 demonstrates extremely clearly that if the offense lime spits the bit, the entire offense collapses, even with an exceptionally talented QB under center.

how about an offense that scores at least three touchdowns every game - start there.

Is the template you propose still work in 2024? I'm ok if they pursue Alt. Still a guaranteed Starter, no flash but it's a building which needs a foundation first.
Bigger stronger works in any generation. We’re getting a west coast offense or hybrid whether we like it or not. The one off-season sound byte that provides some confidence was one of the offensive coaches saying they’re committed to a strong run game.

I think offensive tackle is strong enough in this draft class where they could trade back a few spots and still get a starting LT along with some more draft capital.

Speaking generalizations, you want a quick-strike, air it out, "we can score on any play at any time" offense, IF your defense is below average. This isn't necessarily about the total number of points you can put up with that offense (because it has drawbacks like some posters have mentioned above), but because you need your team to BELIEVE it can score at will, so when your defense gives up two quick scores to put you down by 14 points early on, your team still has the swagger and confidence to come back.

On the flipside, if your defense is really good, you want an offense that can keep possession (doesn't have to be via running the ball, though that helps), eats up time of possession, and demoralizes the other team. You want your defense to force a three and out to start the game, then have your offense eat 7+ minutes on 14 plays and score a TD, then have your defense get another three and out. At this point, the other team's defense is exhausted, and their offense is going to start taking more chances to try to get more possessions in a shortened game. This leads to turnovers, and the whole thing compounds.

You'll notice the important part of BOTH strategies above: Whatever type of offense you're running, it has to SCORE TOUCHDOWNS. Field goals are nice, but the days of winning games by just getting points is behind us IMO. You need to keep the pressure on the other team, and 3 points doesn't do that.

Also, the team that can do BOTH things, is the ideal one. This is why the Chiefs have been so good in their current run. Down by 3 with 13 seconds left? They can move the ball enough to tie the game. Big strikes not there? They can go on those long drives. They can be whatever offense they need to be in a given game (and their defense was good enough to take advantage either way). That's a rare thing, but you have to aspire to that. I don't want a high flying offense or a ball control offense. I want BOTH. Eventually anyway... it's not going to happen in one offseason.

I’m not concerned with style points, results are what matter. I just like being offensive.

I was kinda hoping people would take my typo about the offensive lime and run with it.

Want something done do it yourself.

shutterstock_172068341.jpg.CROP.cq5dam_web_1280_1280_jpeg.jpg

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back