Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

which TE do you want the Patriots to draft?

• Jace Amaro

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • CJ Fiedorowicz

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Troy Niklas

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None of the above, wait until day 3

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
Fiedorowicz.......because he can be had in the 4th round which would mean the 1st 3 rounds can be committed to making the defense more athletic....

the hope is S Calvin Pryor in Rd 1, DE/OLB Jeremiah Attoachu in Rd 2, DT Anthony Johnson in Rd 3, Fiedorowicz in Rd 4a, and Jordan Tripp with 4b

I would prefer Niklas he is big and incredibly athletic; he really jumps off on tape because he moves so well for a guy his size and adjusts to the ball very well.

If we are looking for an "F" tight end in the mold of Hernandez. I would suggest Trey Burton from Florida in the 5th or 6th. Very similar measurables to AH, but he was a team leader at Florida and by all accounts a great player to coach and teammate. Very little tape on him, but he is extremely versatile (played QB, RB, WR, and TE). I think he might be the best value in this draft for a versatile offensive weapon who can line up anywhere and create a mismatch.

Burton's write up on NFL.com: "Very good athlete. Natural hands-catcher. Catches in stride and adjusts very well to the flight of the ball. Keeps working to uncover and has a good feel for zones. Good route runner. Sets up defensive backs and can create some separation out of his breaks. Can make the first tackler miss and is fairly elusive. Versatile and has played every offensive skill position. Football smart -- understands offensive concepts and how the pieces fit together like a former quarterback. Outstanding personal character and will represent a team with class. Is tough and durable and will play through pain. Willing, effective special-teams contributor. Highly competitive team player."

I would prefer Niklas he is big and incredibly athletic; he really jumps off on tape because he moves so well for a guy his size and adjusts to the ball very well.

If we are looking for an "F" tight end in the mold of Hernandez. I would suggest Trey Burton from Florida in the 5th or 6th. Very similar measurables to AH, but he was a team leader at Florida and by all accounts a great player to coach and teammate. Very little tape on him, but he is extremely versatile (played QB, RB, WR, and TE). I think he might be the best value in this draft for a versatile offensive weapon who can line up anywhere and create a mismatch.

Burton's write up on NFL.com: "Very good athlete. Natural hands-catcher. Catches in stride and adjusts very well to the flight of the ball. Keeps working to uncover and has a good feel for zones. Good route runner. Sets up defensive backs and can create some separation out of his breaks. Can make the first tackler miss and is fairly elusive. Versatile and has played every offensive skill position. Football smart -- understands offensive concepts and how the pieces fit together like a former quarterback. Outstanding personal character and will represent a team with class. Is tough and durable and will play through pain. Willing, effective special-teams contributor. Highly competitive team player."
I've been a Gator fan all my life. Trust me when I say this: Burton could not hold Hernandez's jock strap. He'd be an interesting project to take on late in the draft, don't get me wrong, but you should not expect him to be able to contribute immediately.

I've been a Gator fan all my life. Trust me when I say this: Burton could not hold Hernandez's jock strap. He'd be an interesting project to take on late in the draft, don't get me wrong, but you should not expect him to be able to contribute immediately.

Yeah he is pretty raw right now and undersized (could add 10-15lbs of muscle on his frame), but I see a lot of potential in him and think that he would be a nice project that could step in and play in his second year which is why I suggested we take him in the 6th. His biggest strength is his versatility, but its also why he isn't a highly rated prospect; he didn't play TE/WR full time until his senior season.

Just wondering Kontra, how would you compare him to Jordan Reed?

Yeah he is pretty raw right now and undersized (could add 10-15lbs of muscle on his frame), but I see a lot of potential in him and think that he would be a nice project that could step in and play in his second year which is why I suggested we take him in the 6th. His biggest strength is his versatility, but its also why he isn't a highly rated prospect.

Just wondering Kontra, how would you compare him to Jordan Reed?
Reed was more of a natural TE. Had I know what was going to happen with Hernandez this time last year, I would have been banging the table non-stop for Reed because he was almost a clone of Hernandez at UF. Burton, on the other hand, has been a jack of all trades and a master of none. He needs a lot of work. Route running, tracking the ball, reading defenses... it all needs help. He's fine as a project, but the team definitely needs to do something at TE before he's even considered.

Reed was more of a natural TE. Had I know what was going to happen with Hernandez this time last year, I would have been banging the table non-stop for Reed because he was almost a clone of Hernandez at UF. Burton, on the other hand, has been a jack of all trades and a master of none. He needs a lot of work. Route running, tracking the ball, reading defenses... it all needs help. He's fine as a project, but the team definitely needs to do something at TE before he's even considered.

gator hoskins.......

ASJ seems like the best guy suited to play the role of gronk whenever he misses time. But if we pass on him Crocket Gillmore and Marcel Jensen are my picks

My guess is that they're going to see who drops to 62 or even 93 in the knowledge that if none of the big guys drop, they can still get CJF or Gilmore at 93 (hopefully fourth round for Gilmore).

Always beleaved Josh McD liked 3 WR spred more then 2x TE. And with that in mind, then i doubt BB and Crew values a need at TE as high as the rest of us. I fear they would be ok with a TE with 62 or lower, guessing CJF would be fine :(

Believe it or not, Belichick actually watched last season with Hooman starting, and Mulligan coming in as a blocking back. Not only were we not able to run 2 TE sets as a base when it was the right matchup, we were awful when we ran a 1 TE set. We had serious problems in the Red Zone. Yes, we got to the Championship Game. Belichick had his best year of coaching.

If we are to run an effective ONE TE set, we need a starting TE for the times when Gronk is not there. Also, it is not acceptable to limit the offense to a 1 TE set for all but short yardage in every game.

gator hoskins.......

Yeah, when draft capital is figured in, I'll take Jake Murphy or Hoskins late. I don't love any non-Ebron TE this year, and lack of quality figures to push them up. If Fiederowicz is around late third, I'd be OK I guess.

Better yet, give me a Dustin Keller and find a NCAA power forward in UDFA.

Hopefully the attached photo works; it's the reported pro day results for ASJ which is a fairly big deal although I'm not sure why these hadn't been reported earlier. Allowing for the usual pro day inflation, if these numbers are true, it puts ASJ in the Fiedorowicz range with a 40 in the 4.7s and a low 7' 3-cone and an admittedly slightly disappointing vertical jump of 30".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 19
Hopefully the attached photo works; it's the reported pro day results for ASJ which is a fairly big deal although I'm not sure why these hadn't been reported earlier. Allowing for the usual pro day inflation, if these numbers are true, it puts ASJ in the Fiedorowicz range with a 40 in the 4.7s and a low 7' 3-cone and an admittedly slightly disappointing vertical jump of 30".

Manxman, I don't think those can be pro day results. Not only does every report say that ASJ didn't work out, but we know that Sankey stood on most of his combine numbers. I suspect that they're reference numbers supplied by the college team on a handout to attendees.

What's worrisome for ASJ is that most of the numbers supplied for other players are flattering (better than reality).

I wonder how the Patriots regard D. J. Williams? He was a former Mackie Award winner and was
the fifth ranked tight end the year he was drafted. The Packers drafted him in the fifth round. It
might be a little early to write him off especially in an off year for tight ends. He will be re-united
for a whole preseason with his former college quarterback, Mallett.

Manxman, I don't think those can be pro day results. Not only does every report say that ASJ didn't work out, but we know that Sankey stood on most of his combine numbers. I suspect that they're reference numbers supplied by the college team on a handout to attendees.

What's worrisome for ASJ is that most of the numbers supplied for other players are flattering (better than reality).

Well even if they are a little generous, that still puts him in the CJF/Amaro range and a long way ahead of Niklas

I wonder how the Patriots regard D. J. Williams? He was a former Mackie Award winner and was
the fifth ranked tight end the year he was drafted. The Packers drafted him in the fifth round. It
might be a little early to write him off especially in an off year for tight ends. He will be re-united
for a whole preseason with his former college quarterback, Mallett.

I agree that any late round TE will need to fight with Williams for a roster spot, and more than likely end on the Practice Squad. We need one of the top four tight ends as a backup for Gronk, and to run 2 TE sets when Gronk is healthy.

I like Crockett Gillmore and Xavier Grimble later in the draft.

ASJ at 29,Justin Perillo in the 6th....small school but big player.

Because BB loves to spread disinformation and throw the scent off his trail-it's Colt Lyerla. NO ONE is off Bills draft board. Just ask him. We'll take him with our yet-to-be-traded-for-5th Rder.

Because BB loves to spread disinformation and throw the scent off his trail-it's Colt Lyerla. NO ONE is off Bills draft board. Just ask him. We'll take him with our yet-to-be-traded-for-5th Rder.

I'm curious why you think this. I think the opposite. There are probably more players off BB's board than any other board in the NFL, it's just that the reason why those players are off his board aren't always clear.

This thread became very interesting the moment someone brought out the possibility of whether Josh is actually committed to the idea of a 2 TE offense as something we want to do a significant % of the time. I had never thought of that possibility before. Understand I love the 2 TE concept. I think it has a lot of advantages, and makes it difficult on defenses, especially when it isn't 3rd and long. (why would be a topic for its own thread)

But that would explain why the Pats, who are clearly in great need at the TE position, never went after the top TE FA possibilities like Daniels and Chandler. Prior to this thread, I would have thought that keeping 4 TE's on the roster was a given. Now I'm not so sure. Now it might be Gronk, Hooman and a rookie might be all we keep and guys like Williams are just camp fodder.

Obviously we will know a lot more by the time we open camp. What the Pats do in the meantime at TE, will tell us a lot about how they plan to use their TE's. Up to now most of us assumed that we'd go TE with one of our first 2 picks. But based on this thread one has to wonder if any of these guys are worth such a commitment of draft capital. I was all on Niklas before hearing about his concussion issues. Even Ebron and his 11% drop rate makes you wonder.

We might have to face the possibility that this is a weak TE draft class, and the so called top 5 are all going to be over valued because they are just the best of a bad lot. :eek: At any rate I was a lot more stoked about adding a top 5 TE before this thread than now. Clearly I have to face the fact that every pick carries a lot of risk, no matter where you make it. There are no sure things, and drafting well is HARD.

As to the OP - I guess I'd go with Niklas and getting him a better helmet

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back