PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where's Waters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waters is gonna be back, you can count on it.

If he was going to retire, he would have done it already.

Players don't usually decide to retire a week or two before the season starts, however plenty of veterans decide to skip camp up until 1-2 weeks before the season starts.

Waters is gonna be back, you can count on it.

If he was going to retire, he would have done it already.

Players don't usually decide to retire a week or two before the season starts, however plenty of veterans decide to skip camp up until 1-2 weeks before the season starts.

Didnt Gallery just retire after camp?

WWAM019.JPG

I must say, I'm awfully disappointed that nobody made this reference yet

Disney-Wheres-My-Water-App-Crankys-Story.jpg

ngbbs4ddac35b4e2f9.jpg

Where's the boy, BB?

Hes back at home waiting till the end of training camp, then he'll say " i thought about it and i'll be back for another season' I think i read waters has a history of not showing up for training camp.

Roger-Waters.jpg

Whooops, wrong Waters

yes Deus...the waters are muddy indeed...

Bill probably wasn't anticipating Vollmer being out this long or Solder (and Cannon) possibly experiencing a bit of a sophomore slump out of the gate (he's big on most significant improvement from year one to two, let alone for guys who had no rookie off season) or Koppen struggling as he has to get back into reasonable starter form or Gallery becoming camp toast when he agreed to whatever the Waters plan is. That said, vets generally claim they need 2 weeks to get into football shape and a game to knock off the rust. Giving the compacted scheduling of the next 3 pre season games (which will stress the roster a little) it would be nice of Waters to show up sooner than later. This was a big part of why Pioli parted company with him. Tough to deal with on a young team rebuilding and intent on changing a culture. On a vet team it's usually manageable within reason and Bill obviously decided he was worth the accommodation. Situations have just evolved that make it a little less manageable this time around. If one of Vollmer/Mankins doesn't make it off PUP before the bell rings things could remain dicey in the early going. Certainly still not time to panic given Scar's track record for making ilk purse's out of sows ears. But legit cause for concern until something changes.

Bill probably wasn't anticipating Vollmer being out this long or Solder (and Cannon) possibly experiencing a bit of a sophomore slump out of the gate (he's big on most significant improvement from year one to two, let alone for guys who had no rookie off season) or Koppen struggling as he has to get back into reasonable starter form or Gallery becoming camp toast when he agreed to whatever the Waters plan is. That said, vets generally claim they need 2 weeks to get into football shape and a game to knock off the rust. Giving the compacted scheduling of the next 3 pre season games (which will stress the roster a little) it would be nice of Waters to show up sooner than later. This was a big part of why Pioli parted company with him. Tough to deal with on a young team rebuilding and intent on changing a culture. On a vet team it's usually manageable within reason and Bill obviously decided he was worth the accommodation. Situations have just evolved that make it a little less manageable this time around. If one of Vollmer/Mankins doesn't make it off PUP before the bell rings things could remain dicey in the early going. Certainly still not time to panic given Scar's track record for making ilk purse's out of sows ears. But legit cause for concern until something changes.

From Reiss:

last week or so, the more it makes me wonder if they have doubts that veteran Brian Waters is coming back. Connolly is one of the team’s best five linemen (even though he struggled Thursday), so he’ll be on the field somewhere when the season starts (likely center or right guard). I think the Patriots wanted him at center in 2012, but Waters’ reluctance to report to camp has shuffled the deck and the team has been working Dan Koppen, Ryan Wendell and Nick McDonald in the pivot.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

It's quite possible that BB is just keeping his option open by playing Connolly more at RG. I don't see any reason to panic, as you point out. But I also agree, there is "legit cause for concern until something changes".

From what I can tell, Wendell and Thomas have both been outplaying Koppen so far, and both have better positional versatility. McDonald just came off PUP, but he was solid last year. I can live with Mankins/Connolly/McDonald/Thomas/Wendell as our interior OL. But it's not quite the embarrassment of riches that we seemed to have a few months ago.

It's quite possible that BB is just keeping his option open by playing Connolly more at RG. I don't see any reason to panic, as you point out. But I also agree, there is "legit cause for concern until something changes".

From what I can tell, Wendell and Thomas have both been outplaying Koppen so far, and both have better positional versatility. McDonald just came off PUP, but he was solid last year. I can live with Mankins/Connolly/McDonald/Thomas/Wendell as our interior OL. But it's not quite the embarrassment of riches that we seemed to have a few months ago..

Excellent points. Koppen's history indicates that when he plays regularly, he's very effective at center, and I believe the team is working him back to his previous level of play in order to have options. If and when Waters reports, it's good to have flexibility at both RG and C to allow these players to provide depth and back up each other over the first part of the season. When Koppen went down last year, the play at center dropped off initially and then picked up as Connolly, and later, others were worked at that position. It's an understatement to say that the team needs Waters to report, as the O-line's situation is risky without him present to add depth.

Didnt Gallery just retire after camp?

A. It's not 1-2 weeks before the season starts.

B. Gallery actually reported to camp and decided to retire.

Players often report to camp, practice for a couple of weeks and then hang them up.

It's not common that players refuse to show up for the bulk of the pre-season and then retire once the season is about to start. (not saying it never happens, it'd just not common place)

My point is that Waters would have retired by now, there is no reason to make that decision so late in the pre-season.

There is no reason to miss camp and then retire. If he was going to retire, he would gave either done it in the off-season or came to camp and decided he doesn't want to play football any more......much like Gallery.

Koppen either starts at center, or he's cut IMO, so I wouldn't read too much into the Reiss piece. It's silly to keep a backup center with no position flexibility.

Koppen either starts at center, or he's cut IMO, so I wouldn't read too much into the Reiss piece. It's silly to keep a backup center with no position flexibility.

Especially if he is being out played by 2 younger players who don't figure to start if everyone is back.

IF we have Waters, Connolly and Mankins starting side I am feeling good, If Vollmer is healthy I am real happy.

ok waters..jokes over...you can come back now

His locker is still in tact leading even Reiss to now believe he is coming back. Best guess Sunday or Monday (whenever they start practicing in earnest for week 1). If he's not here by then it's likely also about the benjamins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case