PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where's Waters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His locker is still in tact leading even Reiss to now believe he is coming back. Best guess Sunday or Monday (whenever they start practicing in earnest for week 1). If he's not here by then it's likely also about the benjamins.

if he isn't back brady will have some struggles this year

His locker is still in tact leading even Reiss to now believe he is coming back. Best guess Sunday or Monday (whenever they start practicing in earnest for week 1). If he's not here by then it's likely also about the benjamins.

From Mike Reiss' mail bag:

Q. Mike, I am curious about the whole Brian Waters situation, and not reporting to camp. Isn't there some sort of stipulation within a player's contract regarding reporting for camps and mandatory player meetings/practices? I guess I am just confused how this sort of thing actually plays out, is he still getting paid? And at what point is it enough and his contract becomes terminated? Just seems like a sketchy situation, curious what your additional comments are regarding this subject. -- Kaden (Franklin, Mass.)

A. Kaden, players under contract are required to report and if they don't, they can be subject to fines. But in this case, it doesn't seem as if the Patriots are taking that approach, as Belichick previously said that Waters was excused for personal reasons. My main takeaway from the situation is that no matter what unfolds -- and I now think Waters will be back -- Belichick and Waters have had an open dialogue and there have been no surprises behind closed doors. It's just that Belichick doesn't care to share the information publicly.

New England Patriots Mailbag -- Juggling act as season nears - ESPN Boston

Waters or no Waters, this O-line is still going to give us major problems against some of the stronger defenses such as ravens, giants, etc. As far as I can tell, it has gotten worse than last year. Lloyd alone is not going to be a solution for that.

Waters or no Waters, this O-line is still going to give us major problems against some of the stronger defenses such as ravens, giants, etc. As far as I can tell, it has gotten worse than last year. Lloyd alone is not going to be a solution for that.

And you base this on what? 3 pre-season games in which the entire starting O-line has NOT played together?

Solder has had the benefit of Mankins for 3 snaps this pre-season. 3 snaps.
Neither Vollmer nor Waters has played a single down this pre-season.

Connolly has looked very good at center and so-so at guard.

So, you making such a claim when the O-line hasn't been together is just plain illogical.

Well the Pats don't play the Giants, but I went through the schedule, and the Pats are going to have to get it together because they will face some good front lines including the Titans, Buffalo, Ravens, Texans etc.

I think that coach Belichick is pretty decent in getting around glaring weaknesses, or at least making them a lot better anyway.

We may choose to use the 3rd TE more as opposed to only being active in 5 of 19 games last year, we may choose to keep Gronk in on blocking assignments until some of the wrinkles are ironed out, and the running game should also help too.

In other words, even if the line isn't as strong as last year, I still think that they will work with what they have and continue to make improvements.

It's pretty much what they have done the whole time in the Belichick-era, although I can also understand your worry about the line too (even though I'm not quite to the worrying phase myself).

It's Groundhog day every day for half of this fanbase...the ol' tried and true axiom goes like this...you can't even begin to know what kind of team you have until you've played six to eight games in the season...preseason games are great for heated discussion but ultimately worthless predictors of regular season performance.

In terms of the O-line issues, the Patriots shouldn't have too much to worry about until at least week four, which gives them plenty of time to gel:

Titans
Cardinals
Ravens (Suggs on PUP)
Buffalo

Last edited:

If Waters comes back, you have the same OL from last year except swapping Light with Vollmer. Most likely that will be a downgrade especially if Vollmer still has back issues but I wouldn't predict *major* problems. If there's reason to worry about our OL personnel (with Waters) there probably isn't an OL in the league you can have full confidence in.

I don't see how the OL won't have "major" problems if Vollmer continues to have back issues.
We would have Cannon at RT and no backup OT. I understand that other teams have their problems, but on a patriot team, this would be a serious problem.

If Waters comes back, you have the same OL from last year except swapping Light with Vollmer. Most likely that will be a downgrade especially if Vollmer still has back issues but I wouldn't predict *major* problems. If there's reason to worry about our OL personnel (with Waters) there probably isn't an OL in the league you can have full confidence in.

Waters or no Waters, this O-line is still going to give us major problems against some of the stronger defenses such as ravens, giants, etc.
Way too early to pronounce anything like that. It started out badly but you can see it improving as they get guys back. This would be the case where any OL was missing guys early.

Better to be missing them in camp than later.

I don't see how the OL won't have "major" problems if Vollmer continues to have back issues.
We would have Cannon at RT and no backup OT. I understand that other teams have their problems, but on a patriot team, this would be a serious problem.

You don't know if he will still have issues. that's just speculation

It is not even speculation on my part. I expect Vollmer to be healthy this year. Otherwise I would expected Belichick to have brought another OT or two into camp. Personally, I have more confidence in Cannon than most here, but we still are short a backup OT,

I was responding to the poster who suggested that we would not have any serious problems if Waters came back, even if Vollmer continued to have back issues.

You don't know if he will still have issues. that's just speculation

It is not even speculation on my part. I expect Vollmer to be healthy this year. Otherwise I would expected Belichick to have brought another OT or two into camp. Personally, I have more confidence in Cannon than most here, but we still are short a backup OT,

I was responding to the poster who suggested that we would not have any serious problems if Waters came back, even if Vollmer continued to have back issues.

we may have issues..but waters would help 1000 times better than what's out there now

No need to panic. He'll be flying into Logan Thursday morning.

Brian Waters is currently talking to this agent:

"Show me the money!"

Last edited:
No need to panic. He'll be flying into Logan Thursday morning.
Would be so incredibly cool if he were.

Although. If he was going to retire you'd think he'd have done it by now.

Come back Bri Bri.

i have beleived that Waters will be returning all along. But the thing that concerns me now about his return is that is is getting kind of late. I mean if BB and Waters hav e some sort of agreement where he gets a " get out of TC free" pass, I would think BB would want him to be around for at least one PS game and more than a few days of preparation to get his timing down. Even if he is a seasoned professional, and we believe he'll show up in reasonable shape, the team needs to establish an OL that is on the same page. I know he's been part of things before, but the timing an coordination with the other players needs some attention.

I am starting to think its about $$$.

i have beleived that Waters will be returning all along. But the thing that concerns me now about his return is that is is getting kind of late. I mean if BB and Waters hav e some sort of agreement where he gets a " get out of TC free" pass, I would think BB would want him to be around for at least one PS game and more than a few days of preparation to get his timing down. Even if he is a seasoned professional, and we believe he'll show up in reasonable shape, the team needs to establish an OL that is on the same page. I know he's been part of things before, but the timing an coordination with the other players needs some attention.

He came aboard Sept 4 last year.

And made the Pro Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill