PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where is Ty Law going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing against Law in week 2 doesn't intimidate me much.

How about you guys, would you as Pat fans be worried about Law on the Jets in week 2?

Not saying he is completely done, maybe he would fit better at safety at this point. I don't value him much as a mentor. Team leader he is, has a big presence on the field and in the locker room. Well seasoned.

Jets are probably just offering a deal to drive the price up on the Pats, like they did with Lynch and many others before Lynch.

Of course if you had signed Lynch, he woudl have been a key piece of your puzzle leading you to playoffs. You would then boast about how Jets outfoxed NE to get him. Right?? LOL :D

As for TY Law, I think he adds to either teams DB - I hope we get him, there is a place for him here, for sure.

What makes this idiot think he can step right in and contribute significantly with NO training camp under his belt? I doubt he's a workout warrior like Seau, who knows the Patriots' system and won't take much time to get up to speed. Law has never played under Pees/Capers, is probably out of shape and likely needs reps to get his timing back (like all cornerbacks). No matter where he lands, I believe his worth is overrated, especially in the short term.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight: The whiners are screaming that we need to get younger and faster at the corners, but the consensus is to bring in Ty Law?

Talk about a bunch of Pollyanna's. Whether ol' 24 comes here to play or somewhere else, he WON'T be the player he once was, and hope & change might sound good in a sound bite for a politician from Chicago, but on the field, you have to perform, and that right consistantly. I don't see how he does that.

What makes this idiot think he can step right in and contribute significantly with NO training camp under his belt? I doubt he's a workout warrior like Seau, who knows the Patriots' system and won't take much time to get up to speed. Law has never played under Pees/Capers, is probably out of shape and likely needs reps to get his timing back (like all cornerbacks). No matter where he lands, I believe his worth is overrated, especially in the short term.

Maybe. Although, I don't think you have any justification for your conclusion. First, Law is well known for his rigorous offseason workouts with Bob Kersee, which casts doubt on your point that he is out of shape. Second, He has played for years in Belichick's system. Do you really think Dean Pees has revolutionized the defense??? As for Capers input, I don't think he has rewritten the playbook either. It may be that Ty Law is not as good as he once was, but that's not the question. The question is whether he's better than Fernando Bryant.

According to cnn.com rumor, Ty law has spoken with Pats, Brown, and Jets and he will let everybody know where he plays.

He's not worth it any more. He was solid his first year with us, yet completely fell apart last season. He is a first ballot HOFer, yet his game has caught up to his age. No more speed and falls more often now.
GO CHIEFS!!!

Ty Law was one of my favorites years ago, BRING BACK TY LAW!

Ty Law was one of my favorites years ago, BRING BACK TY LAW!

Yeah, because liking a guy when he was in his prime nearly a decade ago should dictate what the team does! Yeah, go Ty Law! Five years ago you had a great AFC Championship game! Let's get him back! Come on Ty, I don't care about that foot injury that will linger the rest of your life, or that the last time you played, you looked slower than the Manning brothers trying to read the Magna Carta! Let's sign him up! I don't care that receivers will run by you like Usain Bolt would run by my grandmother in the 100m! BRING BACK TY LAW!

FWIW, Law stacked up well in terms of metrics, success rate, YPA, that kind of thing. I think he bested Asante, Hobbs & Bryant in nearly every category (and they all fared pretty well). I didn't see him play much last season, so that's all I have to go on when judging his performance.

FWIW, Law stacked up well in terms of metrics, success rate, YPA, that kind of thing. I think he bested Asante, Hobbs & Bryant in nearly every category (and they all fared pretty well). I didn't see him play much last season, so that's all I have to go on when judging his performance.

No, no, no, you're missing the point of this thread. Outbursts, hating, emotional attachment, blanket statements and the never-ending "age is the factor" debate.

You, sir, are not welcome here with your facts and figures. ;)

/sarcasm

Last edited:
No, no, no, you're missing the point of this thread. Outbursts, hating, emotional attachment, blanket statements and the never-ending "age is the factor" debate.

You, sir, are not welcome here with your facts and figures. ;)

/sarcasm

LOL. OK, I can do that too. What I really meant to say was that Ty Law was always one of my favorite Patriots. If Ty Law were 80 years old and just barely clinging onto life, I'd still sign him and suit him up in #24 and have other DBs puppeteer him in some Weekend at Bernie's-esque scenario. And he'd still be awesome. No Patriot cornerback since has been able to match Ty Law and no DB ever will. How's that?? :D

LOL. OK, I can do that too. What I really meant to say was that Ty Law was always one of my favorite Patriots. If Ty Law were 80 years old and just barely clinging onto life, I'd still sign him and suit him up in #24 and have other DBs puppeteer him in some Weekend at Bernie's-esque scenario. And he'd still be awesome. No Patriot cornerback since has been able to match Ty Law and no DB ever will. How's that?? :D

LOL, bingo! Nailed it. :D

No Patriot cornerback since has been able to match Ty Law and no DB ever will. How's that?? :D
I think THAT means that maybe you found what was in Law's brother's travel bag...or something stronger.

Wow... either your mistaken, those stats weren't right, or there is some serious mitigating circumstance there, because watching him, there's no way that seems right. A lot of balls being completed in front of him in my recollection. I'm going to have to go have a look at those stats if so. FootballOutsiders, here I come...

Wow... either your mistaken, those stats weren't right, or there is some serious mitigating circumstance there, because watching him, there's no way that seems right. A lot of balls being completed in front of him in my recollection. I'm going to have to go have a look at those stats if so. FootballOutsiders, here I come...

Stats always come w a grain of salt.

Here's my thread on what I gathered when I looked at their 08 Propsectus:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=95768

Most noteworthy is that his 55% success rate is better than Asante, Hobbs or Bryant (note Football Outsiders success rate for DBs is based on the # of times the DB was successful at preventing completion, so higher = better.)

As the thread discusses - there are an awful lot of things that Football Outsiders can't take into consideration when calculating these metrics.

Last edited:
Yeah, because liking a guy when he was in his prime nearly a decade ago should dictate what the team does! Yeah, go Ty Law! Five years ago you had a great AFC Championship game! Let's get him back! Come on Ty, I don't care about that foot injury that will linger the rest of your life, or that the last time you played, you looked slower than the Manning brothers trying to read the Magna Carta! Let's sign him up! I don't care that receivers will run by you like Usain Bolt would run by my grandmother in the 100m! BRING BACK TY LAW!

I know Ty Law is old and probably not what he once was, but you never know. Hell look at how old Teddy, Junior and Rodney are and how well they still play. Being a Pats fan to me means liking the guys on the team because they are a Patriot. I hated John Lynch years ago because of what he did to the Patriots in many of those playoff games, but now that he wears the Flying Elvis on his helmet, I love the guy!

I know Ty Law is old and probably not what he once was, but you never know. Hell look at how old Teddy, Junior and Rodney are and how well they still play. Being a Pats fan to me means liking the guys on the team because they are a Patriot. I hated John Lynch years ago because of what he did to the Patriots in many of those playoff games, but now that he wears the Flying Elvis on his helmet, I love the guy!

Tedy and Rodney aren't being asked to play the most athletically demanding position on the field, either. Unless your name is Darrell Green, being old at the cornerback position is asking to be toasted. And I still hate John Lynch, I'm just ignoring who is inside the 47 jersey when it's on the field. I'm devoted to the team, but that doesn't mean I have to love every player. That being said, I liked Ty Law for the most part when he was here... I just don't want him to come back. He burned his bridges, and he's past his prime, and no amount of sentimentality will make me want him back at this point. We've got a good collection of guys, let's let the past be the past.

Tedy and Rodney aren't being asked to play the most athletically demanding position on the field, either. Unless your name is Darrell Green, being old at the cornerback position is asking to be toasted. And I still hate John Lynch, I'm just ignoring who is inside the 47 jersey when it's on the field. I'm devoted to the team, but that doesn't mean I have to love every player. That being said, I liked Ty Law for the most part when he was here... I just don't want him to come back. He burned his bridges, and he's past his prime, and no amount of sentimentality will make me want him back at this point. We've got a good collection of guys, let's let the past be the past.

Point well taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes