PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does Brady Rank Among QBs All-Time, NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, and you have every right to. Joe Montana is amazing and a class act. I'm not so much a fan of Young, but he was a great player as well. Montana is the undisputed #1 right now, and if Brady is ever considered equal that would be a tremendous accomplishment. I do see Brady as a clear cut 2...

I've even seen John Elway say that Brady and Montana are on a different level.

Tom earned my respect this season. Even those tosses he threw at the end of the game in the SB were freaking amazing, he missed Moss by what, 2 inches on that 3rd down throw. He's great. No doubt about it.

However, if you're counting Rings...well he has 3. That makes him tied with Aikman. Now Troy only had about a 6 year solid run. Tom is on his 7th real good run. Terry B had a 9 year run. Joe, he had about 12 years of solid play.

Then you have the longevity of Favre to take into account. And then there is old horse face Elway. He went to 5 SBs and did win 2. He had an amazing carreer. No Doubt.

Montana had to Beat Marino head to head, lucky for him, Marino had ZERO hall of famers on any of his teams, whereas Montana, had bunches as well as the best receiver in the history of football to throw to. Major bonus for any QB having Rice. Montana also beat another HOF Elway.

#1... Brady will go down in history as the best QB to ever play. Even a Bills troll like me can't argue about that.

What makes him #1 in your opinion, just curious...........

What makes him #1 in your opinion, just curious...........

Aside from Brady, who else is considered the best QB of all time? Joe Montana... now compare Joe to Tom. Case closed.

Aside from Brady, who else is considered the best QB of all time? Joe Montana... now compare Joe to Tom. Case closed.

If you compare Montana from 1981-88 to Brady from 2001-07 (both of which had 110-111 regular season starts), you'll see that they are dead on statistically, but Brady has a slight edge in playoff production (as in starts, wins, conference titles, TD's, INT's). They are tied in SB wins, SB MVP's, Pro Bowls, TD leading years. Considering Brady is a couple of plays away from making this argument irrelevant, I'd say you'd have to give Brady the nod based on the comparable bodies of work. Brady's SB play has been superior IMO, given that he has come up big in 4 dogfights.

Going forward, if you consider that Montana had 2-3 great years after 1988, Brady needs a few years of excellence and a couple more rings to establish himself above Montana.

Tom earned my respect this season. Even those tosses he threw at the end of the game in the SB were freaking amazing, he missed Moss by what, 2 inches on that 3rd down throw. He's great. No doubt about it.

However, if you're counting Rings...well he has 3. That makes him tied with Aikman. Now Troy only had about a 6 year solid run. Tom is on his 7th real good run. Terry B had a 9 year run. Joe, he had about 12 years of solid play.

Then you have the longevity of Favre to take into account. And then there is old horse face Elway. He went to 5 SBs and did win 2. He had an amazing carreer. No Doubt.

Montana had to Beat Marino head to head, lucky for him, Marino had ZERO hall of famers on any of his teams, whereas Montana, had bunches as well as the best receiver in the history of football to throw to. Major bonus for any QB having Rice. Montana also beat another HOF Elway.

MOntana won two Superbowls before Rice joined the team including Superbowl XIX in which he defeated Marino.

BTW, who are the "bunches" of hall of fame players that Montana had on his offense?

http://www.sf49ers.com/history/hall_of_famers.php?section=HI Hall Of Famers

Last edited:
I think Brady is a clear #2 right now.

If Brady had won the Superbowl this year he'd be the clear #1. Does 1 game make that much of a difference? Absolutely.

I think Brady is a clear #2 right now.

If Brady had won the Superbowl this year he'd be the clear #1. Does 1 game make that much of a difference? Absolutely.

Given that the game could have gone either way on the Giants' last drive, I think the outcome isn't that huge when considering Brady's play. He delivered a potential game-winning TD drive in the 4th. He's led a 4th quarter lead-changing drive in every SB he's played in (including 2 in SB38).

If Brady would have choked in the 4th and not delivered any points, maybe he is clearly #2.

Given that the game could have gone either way on the Giants' last drive, I think the outcome isn't that huge when considering Brady's play. He delivered a potential game-winning TD drive in the 4th. He's led a 4th quarter lead-changing drive in every SB he's played in (including 2 in SB38).

If Brady would have choked in the 4th and not delivered any points, maybe he is clearly #2.

the greatest debate in football, bottomline.

MOntana won two Superbowls before Rice joined the team including Superbowl XIX in which he defeated Marino.

BTW, who are the "bunches" of hall of fame players that Montana had on his offense?

http://www.sf49ers.com/history/hall_of_famers.php?section=HI Hall Of Famers

Montana had Rice for 2 of his wins, Roger Craig, (not in the HOF but still a great who changed the way RB is played to this day) Dwight Clark making "the catch" and basically everything ever thrown to him.

Not to mention a Great Defense to go with him on that run.

Marino...had nothing, zero, zilch to work with compared to the 80s Niners. That was really the point I was making. Marino stands as one of the greats because he set all those records without a single "name" around him. Don't see too many dolphins jersey's from that era that aren't #13. The Dolphins still haven't replaced him and its been what? 6 seasons?

And I freely admit, Bradshaw, among all the QBs, had the most weapons on his side, Swann, Franco, Stallworth, Rocky, not to mention that ridiculous defense that could just take over a game. He got his 4 rings, and did it with lots of other guys.

What makes Brady really great, is his ability to make others on the team look great. Finding that open guy and delivering the ball at all costs, when its needed most. Thats alot like Montana for sure.

Last edited:
the greatest debate in football, bottomline.

And time will tell how Brady's career 2nd-half will go. After '88, Montana QB'd one of the best teams of all-time, took another great team (primed for 3 in a row) to the NFC title game before being knocked out and ultimately let go by his team. His resurgence in KC was good, but he didn't have the talent around him to be great (plus he was closer to retirement).

Montana had Rice for 2 of his wins, Roger Craig, (not in the HOF but still a great who changed the way RB is played to this day) Dwight Clark making "the catch" and basically everything ever thrown to him.

Not to mention a Great Defense to go with him on that run.

Marino...had nothing, zero, zilch to work with compared to the 80s Niners. That was really the point I was making. Marino stands as one of the greats because he set all those records without a single "name" around him. Don't see too many dolphins jersey's from that era that aren't #13. The Dolphins still haven't replaced him and its been what? 6 seasons?

The Dolphins made it to Superbowl XVII two years before that without Marino. Marino had the Marks Brothers (Clayton and Duper) and if you remember anything about the week leading up to that Superbowl all of the talk centered around Marino and his offense being too much for San Francisco to stop. Trying to say that Marino got to the Superbowl on a team devoid of talent is revising history just a bit.

The Dolphins made it to Superbowl XVII two years before that without Marino. Marino had the Marks Brothers (Clayton and Duper) and if you remember anything about the week leading up to that Superbowl all of the talk centered around Marino and his offense being too much for San Francisco to stop. Trying to say that Marino got to the Superbowl on a team devoid of talent is revising history just a bit.

That was the year Marino did set the TD passing record at 48 and also the AFC title game played into that "offensive powerhouse" as the Steelers and Dolphins had over 1100 total yards in their AFC title game leading up to the Superbowl. The Dolphins offense was pretty potent and Marino had over 300 yards throwing in that loss to Montana. I wish he didnt go out like he did in that drubbing by the Jags.

Brady is well on his way to earning that top spot. He's in the argument for sure. I love to evaluate all the Greats who have ever played the position. I count Longevity, Stats, Performance in Big Games all together. Question, if Brady "quits" the game this off season (we know it won't happen) is he still the "greatest" or does he need more time. I think most would agree, lets see how his career finishes because we toss the label on him. The only man playing the position right now, in the argument is Favre, and that's because of his longevity.

All I have to say is that Brady has a hell of a case now for best ever, and he's barely half way done...should be interesting to see the rest of his career play out.

All I have to say is that Brady has a hell of a case now for best ever, and he's barely half way done...should be interesting to see the rest of his career play out.

Yes he does have a great case to be called best ever. I won't deny that in any way. Its just, so do a few other guys. That's all, and that's why I love the debate.

I'll give you that. It's coming from NJ. From A mix of Giants, Cowboys and Eagles fans, and ESPN polls.
Greetings,

I find it funny you consider Eli a God when for most of the season Giants fans were calling for his head.
Shalom,
Celticboy04

I find it funny that Favre has found himself in a ton of talking heads top 3-5 QBs of all time since he retired.

Funny how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back