PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with Seymour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
umm....u say

seymour, warren and wilfork all suck...but green is amazing? WUT???

OK, let's just stick with the facts then:

Pats rush defense = 19 att, 55 yds, 2.9 ypc
Pats pass defense:
  • Sacks = 2
  • QB Hit = 5 (including 1 by Seymour)
  • Pass Defensed = 6 (including 1 by Wilfork)
Eagles had 1 more sack, 1 fewer QB hit and 1 fewer pass defensed...yet they had a blueprint game and the Pats defense was exposed.

There was a problem in the Eagles game, but you can't see it because you are paying attention to the wrong things. Let's look at the Eagles 3rd downs:

3-3-PHI 38 (13:46) A.Feeley pass short right intended for B.Westbrook INTERCEPTED by A.Samuel at PHI 40.

This was caused by pressure up the middle.

3-1-NE 47 (11:46) B.Westbrook up the middle to NE 42 for 5 yards (E.Hobbs).

Nice blocking by the Eagles and Westbrook hit the hole hard. Pats in position but couldn't move the blocking to close the hole.

3-7-NE 39 (10:36) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass short middle to G.Lewis to NE 24 for 15 yards (R.Baker).

Typical west coast offense. Feeley locked on Lewis, ball got out quick and DBs were a step slow.

3-2-NE 16 (8:47) B.Westbrook right guard to NE 15 for 1 yard (A.Thomas, J.Green).

Nowhere for Westbrook to go.

3-8-NE 28 (12:56) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep middle to G.Lewis for 28 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

This is the one Belichick blew his stack over. Pats blitzed and it was picked up well. Blown coverage since there were multiple DBs with underneath coverage but nobody over the top. Since E.Jackson got reamed on the sidelines, assume he messed up.

3-7-NE 49 (11:30) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass incomplete short left to K.Curtis.

Good pressure on Feeley, but he got rid of the ball quickly. Just couldn't connect with Curtis, who had Hobbs on him most of the game.

3-8-PHI 34 (5:48) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep right to G.Lewis to NE 39 for 27 yards (A.Samuel) [R.Harrison].

Rodney popped Feeley on this one, forcing the ball out quickly. Once again, the DBs were out of position and a little slow.

3-10-NE 18 (3:05) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep middle to G.Lewis for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Pocket collapsed on Feeley from right and left. He locked on Lewis and got the ball out quickly. Gay (I think?) was a half-step slow and couldn't quite knock the ball down.

3-3-NE 49 (12:04) B.Westbrook left end to 50 for -1 yards (A.Thomas, R.Colvin).

No chance. Westbrook couldn't get started.

3-10-PHI 39 (4:18) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep left to K.Curtis to NE 42 for 19 yards (E.Hobbs).

Hard to tell what the coverage was, but it was very conservative. Either a huge hole in a zone or Hobbs got turned outside. Either way, four man rush with max protect by the Eagles. Colvin got to Feeley's feet as the ball was thrown.

3-4-NE 8 (1:39) A.Feeley pass short middle to R.Brown for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Again, pocket collapsed from left and right. Again, Gay was a step late and I'm not sure how he missed knocking the ball down.

3-8-PHI 47 (12:14) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass incomplete short middle to B.Westbrook.

A drop but Seau had coverage and would have stopped Westbrook short anyway.

3-3-PHI 15 (6:25) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass short left to L.Smith to PHI 26 for 11 yards (R.Harrison).

Rodney didn't have a good game in coverage in this game. Smith was open a lot and was actually underused by Feeley.

So the Eagles go 8-13 on 3rd down (even worse when you consider they also converted a 4th). The Pats had been outstanding on 3rd down defense all year. The problem wasn't the pressure. Feeley didn't hang onto the ball or look at multiple reads. He locked on his first read (except for the flea flicker) and got the ball out ahead of the pressure. Side note...Eagles had 336 net yards passing but leading receiver only had 88 yards...meaning they called plays for just about every receiver they had.

The problem was with the DBs. They were generally out of sync. Out of position, slow to react or otherwise with their heads up their butts. Can't tell if this one is on the players or the coaching. The Ravens game likely won't provide any clues but the Steelers game should tell us all we need to know. They can run a similar style of passing offense and have enough receiving threats.

Excellent analysis, although I'd point out I don't recall Vrabel being anywhere near Feeley. The Pats' rush WAS less effective than usual, irrespective of whether we attribute that to the Pats' rushers or to the Eagle's OL.

As for Seymour -- this is the second straight season where he's been playing

A. With one limb weak from injury
B. To the eye, less effectively or actively
C. Double-teamed less
D. Without racking up a lot of stats

Concern is justified.

Condemnation, however, is premature.

And by the way -- I don't like Seymour. From his pouting over his benching to his holdout to his eagerness to throw BB under the bus after the Jets loss, he doesn't give me a happy feeling as a fan.

Excellent analysis, although I'd point out I don't recall Vrabel being anywhere near Feeley. The Pats' rush WAS less effective than usual, irrespective of whether we attribute that to the Pats' rushers or to the Eagle's OL.

As for Seymour -- this is the second straight season where he's been playing

A. With one limb weak from injury
B. To the eye, less effectively or actively
C. Double-teamed less
D. Without racking up a lot of stats

Concern is justified.

Condemnation, however, is premature.

And by the way -- I don't like Seymour. From his pouting over his benching to his holdout to his eagerness to throw BB under the bus after the Jets loss, he doesn't give me a happy feeling as a fan.

He was very outspoken after Deion was traded, just a few months after they backed a brinks truck up to his house. The season isn't over, and there's plenty of time for Seymour to redeem himself. The Pittsburgh game will tell us alot.

He's a very, very old 27, then.

Big Sey might be 27 but the problem is he's been playing like he's 72 for a couple of years now.
Ever since Richard's wallet got heavier he's gotten slower.
Coincidence?

Last edited:

Actually Vrabel was the weak point (as I saw it) for the Pats' pass rush. I typically saw him engaged with the RT (no help) and could disengage. I know zip about the Eagles OL so I have no idea if that was a matchup Vrabel should win or not.

It looked to me like the Pats' pressure was OK, but Feeley was able to get the ball out quickly so even when the rush got there (5 QB hits), the ball was out. Not surprising for the west coast offense, but the playcalling was solid to allow Feeley to get his primary read more times than not. When the primary read was covered (Asante picks and almost pick), Feeley threw it there anyway.

Seymour just seems a bit laid back this year ... I hear he found Jah! :D

I think Seymour is on his last Patriots contract. He doesn't seem to be a guy who will stay good when his body detioriates, and he doesn't seem to love it here.

Seymour was injuried all last year with the knee and had a surgery with complications. He played injuried all last year rather than go on IR. His knee is not back to 100% but he is playing to try to help the team.

If he can't make a full recovery, he will get cut or traded in due time.

All this talk about his motivation is baloney. He would have went on IR if he didn't want to play. Last year AND this year...

I would like to see one of you guys blow out your knee and then go play football. Then I could sit back and question your motivation.

Belichick will cut him just like anyone else when the time comes, and in the mean time he will have to earn his keep like the other players, even if it means playing with a knee injury.

Seymour was injuried all last year with the knee and had a surgery with complications. He played injuried all last year rather than go on IR. His knee is not back to 100% but he is playing to try to help the team.

If he can't make a full recovery, he will get cut or traded in due time.

All this talk about his motivation is baloney. He would have went on IR if he didn't want to play. Last year AND this year...

I would like to see one of you guys blow out your knee and then go play football. Then I could sit back and question your motivation.

Belichick will cut him just like anyone else when the time comes, and in the mean time he will have to earn his keep like the other players, even if it means playing with a knee injury.

Fair and reasonable response. I blew out my right knee, played softball, hoops, and in a fall football league. Partially torn ACL. Then totally tore it trying to block a shot in hoops, and had it reconstructed. Was 100% 9 weeks post-op. Played soon thereafter.

My point: I deserve more money too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes