PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with Seymour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seymour is a fraud.
Warren is a disappointment.
Wilfork disappears (which is quite an accomplishment for him).
Thomas is overrated.
Rodney is too old and slow.
Hobbs is toast.
Bruschi has nothing left.
Seau is ancient.
Colvin wasn't making enough of an impact (except now that he is on IR, he was obviously indispensible).

Pats are #3 in total defense (#5 in points allowed).
Pats have played the #2, #4, #5, #6, #9 and #13 offenses.

Green, Vrabel, Sanders and Samuel must be GODS to be carrying this bunch. Being able to cover for almost the entire front 7 and half the secondary...truly an amazing feat.

Finally, the real "Patriot Way" has been revealed. It isn't about working together to produce team success. Players are measured by documented, quantitative individual contributions, despite any team success that might occur simply by happenstance.

Wow.

Seymour is a fraud.
Thomas is overrated.
Hobbs is toast.
Seau is ancient.
Colvin wasn't making enough of an impact (except now that he is on IR, he was obviously indispensible).

Green, Vrabel, Sanders and Samuel must be GODS to be carrying this bunch. Being able to cover for almost the entire front 7 and half the secondary...truly an amazing feat.

Finally, the real "Patriot Way" has been revealed. It isn't about working together to produce team success. Players are measured by documented, quantitative individual contributions, despite any team success that might occur simply by happenstance.

Wow.

Classic... this is a team oriented D, when everyone does their job, holds their point it is outstanding.. to say someone is not doing their job based on stats, belies the individual contribution to the team.. do not remember Warren, Wilfork or Seymour in the backfield all that much, but did see that Westbrook only gained something like 50 yards last game, with Feeley in, thought he woudl have gained more.

Classic... this is a team oriented D, when everyone does their job, holds their point it is outstanding.. to say someone is not doing their job based on stats, belies the individual contribution to the team.. do not remember Warren, Wilfork or Seymour in the backfield all that much, but did see that Westbrook only gained something like 50 yards last game, with Feeley in, thought he woudl have gained more.

Westbrook only gained something like 50 yards? Yeah but, Philly has a team oriented O, to say someone was defensed well based on stats belies the individual contribution to the team. :)

Westbrook didn't see the ball more often because Feeley was untouched by a pass rush all game long and was having a field day picking apart the secondary to the tune of almost 400 yds passing.
Nice attempt to spin a weak perfromance by the D-line.

Westbrook didn't see the ball more often because Feeley was untouched by a pass rush all game long and was having a field day picking apart the secondary to the tune of almost 400 yds passing.
Nice attempt to spin a weak perfromance by the D-line.

Bingo, we have bingo!

Yeah, but the DLine didn't collapse the pocket, pressure the QB, or otherwise disrupt the offense of the Eagles because it's a team oriented D. A backup QB picked the Patriots apart because in a team oriented defense, that's how it happens. We're better off if Seymour never makes another tackle, or has another sack, because in a team oriented defense, that means he's dominating. :)

You don't read all my posts then.

Seriously, who has that kind of time?! I thought you were a multi-gazillionaire with a wildly successful business? Where do you find the time to come on here and post all this crap?
Answer: You're really just some 300 lbs slob who lives in his mother's basement and works at Blockbuster part-time.
If you were wealthy you wouldn't feel the need to flout it, and if you really did run a business you wouldn't have time for this nonsense.

BTW, I love how you come up with an official sounding screenname to give yourself some 'credibility'. Nice touch. Now, take out the garabage! Your mother has been asking you for 2 days!

Bingo, we have bingo!

Yeah, but the DLine didn't collapse the pocket, pressure the QB, or otherwise disrupt the offense of the Eagles because it's a team oriented D. A backup QB picked the Patriots apart because in a team oriented defense, that's how it happens. We're better off if Seymour never makes another tackle, or has another sack, because in a team oriented defense, that means he's dominating. :)

:rofl: Bostonian I like your sarcasm.
You know we've never had a nickname for this Patriot defense.
How about the "Bowling Pins"??
They're to stand upright in their lane and not move.
We'll call it immobile containment!!!
:rofl:

I couldn't agree more. Richard Seymour talks as if he's one of the best D-lineman in the game and chirped and chirped about being paid top 5 DLine money and then he was paid and all of a sudden he's really just been mediocre. I watched him alot on Sunday night and in all honesty you could have put Kareem Brown in his spot and would have gotten more production. He seems to be just going through the motions out there.

He should be 100% fresh at this point, with his game legs under him. Guy has been really disappointing so far, hopefully he can turn it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seymour is a fraud.
Thomas is overrated.
Hobbs is toast.
Seau is ancient.

Wow.
Beautiful! You just summed up National Sports Advisors stance on this message board!

Seriously, who has that kind of time?! I thought you were a multi-gazillionaire with a wildly successful business? Where do you find the time to come on here and post all this crap?
Answer: You're really just some 300 lbs slob who lives in his mother's basement and works at Blockbuster part-time.
If you were wealthy you wouldn't feel the need to flout it, and if you really did run a business you wouldn't have time for this nonsense.

BTW, I love how you come up with an official sounding screenname to give yourself some 'credibility'. Nice touch. Now, take out the garabage! Your mother has been asking you for 2 days!

Moderators...this is a personal attack and this poster must be banned!

Bingo, we have bingo!

OK, let's just stick with the facts then:

Pats rush defense = 19 att, 55 yds, 2.9 ypc
Pats pass defense:
  • Sacks = 2
  • QB Hit = 5 (including 1 by Seymour)
  • Pass Defensed = 6 (including 1 by Wilfork)

Eagles had 1 more sack, 1 fewer QB hit and 1 fewer pass defensed...yet they had a blueprint game and the Pats defense was exposed.

There was a problem in the Eagles game, but you can't see it because you are paying attention to the wrong things. Let's look at the Eagles 3rd downs:

3-3-PHI 38 (13:46) A.Feeley pass short right intended for B.Westbrook INTERCEPTED by A.Samuel at PHI 40.

This was caused by pressure up the middle.

3-1-NE 47 (11:46) B.Westbrook up the middle to NE 42 for 5 yards (E.Hobbs).

Nice blocking by the Eagles and Westbrook hit the hole hard. Pats in position but couldn't move the blocking to close the hole.

3-7-NE 39 (10:36) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass short middle to G.Lewis to NE 24 for 15 yards (R.Baker).

Typical west coast offense. Feeley locked on Lewis, ball got out quick and DBs were a step slow.

3-2-NE 16 (8:47) B.Westbrook right guard to NE 15 for 1 yard (A.Thomas, J.Green).

Nowhere for Westbrook to go.

3-8-NE 28 (12:56) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep middle to G.Lewis for 28 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

This is the one Belichick blew his stack over. Pats blitzed and it was picked up well. Blown coverage since there were multiple DBs with underneath coverage but nobody over the top. Since E.Jackson got reamed on the sidelines, assume he messed up.

3-7-NE 49 (11:30) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass incomplete short left to K.Curtis.

Good pressure on Feeley, but he got rid of the ball quickly. Just couldn't connect with Curtis, who had Hobbs on him most of the game.

3-8-PHI 34 (5:48) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep right to G.Lewis to NE 39 for 27 yards (A.Samuel) [R.Harrison].

Rodney popped Feeley on this one, forcing the ball out quickly. Once again, the DBs were out of position and a little slow.

3-10-NE 18 (3:05) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep middle to G.Lewis for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Pocket collapsed on Feeley from right and left. He locked on Lewis and got the ball out quickly. Gay (I think?) was a half-step slow and couldn't quite knock the ball down.

3-3-NE 49 (12:04) B.Westbrook left end to 50 for -1 yards (A.Thomas, R.Colvin).

No chance. Westbrook couldn't get started.

3-10-PHI 39 (4:18) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass deep left to K.Curtis to NE 42 for 19 yards (E.Hobbs).

Hard to tell what the coverage was, but it was very conservative. Either a huge hole in a zone or Hobbs got turned outside. Either way, four man rush with max protect by the Eagles. Colvin got to Feeley's feet as the ball was thrown.

3-4-NE 8 (1:39) A.Feeley pass short middle to R.Brown for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Again, pocket collapsed from left and right. Again, Gay was a step late and I'm not sure how he missed knocking the ball down.

3-8-PHI 47 (12:14) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass incomplete short middle to B.Westbrook.

A drop but Seau had coverage and would have stopped Westbrook short anyway.

3-3-PHI 15 (6:25) (Shotgun) A.Feeley pass short left to L.Smith to PHI 26 for 11 yards (R.Harrison).

Rodney didn't have a good game in coverage in this game. Smith was open a lot and was actually underused by Feeley.

So the Eagles go 8-13 on 3rd down (even worse when you consider they also converted a 4th). The Pats had been outstanding on 3rd down defense all year. The problem wasn't the pressure. Feeley didn't hang onto the ball or look at multiple reads. He locked on his first read (except for the flea flicker) and got the ball out ahead of the pressure. Side note...Eagles had 336 net yards passing but leading receiver only had 88 yards...meaning they called plays for just about every receiver they had.

The problem was with the DBs. They were generally out of sync. Out of position, slow to react or otherwise with their heads up their butts. Can't tell if this one is on the players or the coaching. The Ravens game likely won't provide any clues but the Steelers game should tell us all we need to know. They can run a similar style of passing offense and have enough receiving threats.

:rofl: Bostonian I like your sarcasm.
You know we've never had a nickname for this Patriot defense.
How about the "Bowling Pins"??
They're to stand upright in their lane and not move.
We'll call it immobile containment!!!
:rofl:

Cracking Up!

I'd prefer to tick off Shula and Co., so would rather go with:

The Snow Name Defense.

:)

I couldn't agree more. Richard Seymour talks as if he's one of the best D-lineman in the game and chirped and chirped about being paid top 5 DLine money and then he was paid and all of a sudden he's really just been mediocre. I watched him alot on Sunday night and in all honesty you could have put Kareem Brown in his spot and would have gotten more production. He seems to be just going through the motions out there.

He should be 100% fresh at this point, with his game legs under him. Guy has been really disappointing so far, hopefully he can turn it around.

Summed up nicely. All we are say-ing is Give Sey a Chance. We just want Sey to be Sey again.

Seymour's production is hard to rate. Even in his pro bowl years, it was hard to rate his production, because he doesn't put up large stats. It's the constant attention he demanded, including how well he disrupted the pocket that makes him valuable, something we haven't seen much of (yet). It has to be tough getting into the groove of things mid-season, so personally I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until the playoffs arrive. By then he should be back to his old self, if not, there's problems.

And, while we're on the topic, why the hell do we have to lose Asante Samuel and keep paying Seymour's overrated arse? Why can't we cut Seymour, pay Asante, and use our top 5 pick to draft a DE or DT? Jarvis Green is more than capable of filling in for Seymour as the starting DE. Does anyone honestly believe we need Seymour more than Asante? It's absurd. :mad:

Dude, I have tried to make this point so many times here! It's like people are emotionally glued to Seymour or something! I say trade him for a high draft pick and use the money we save to sign Samuel long term.

We can plug Jarvis Green into Seymour's spot and not miss a beat. It's not like I am speculating. Jarvis has proven this already!

We should definitely be able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Seymour right now, but in a season or two, at the rate he is declining, he might only be worth a 5th rounder or lower.

And if you can't trade him, cut him and sign Moss & Asante both!

It's a win-win for the Pats either way.

The only way they lose is by keeping him!

Last edited:
Seymour is a fraud.
Thomas is overrated.
Hobbs is toast.
Seau is ancient.

Wow.

Hobbs IS toast.

But I still like him and my wife thinks he's cute. Like a little brown smurf with cool celebration dances.

Seymour's production is hard to rate. Even in his pro bowl years, it was hard to rate his production, because he doesn't put up large stats. It's the constant attention he demanded, including how well he disrupted the pocket that makes him valuable, something we haven't seen much of (yet). It has to be tough getting into the groove of things mid-season, so personally I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until the playoffs arrive. By then he should be back to his old self, if not, there's problems.

Agree. If he get's back to his old self, pretend this post never happened. :)

# 93

in Richard Seymour i still believe...

we are only in November...let's see what he will do in the next months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back