PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What we learned from Day 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...that i went to bed at h 01,00 a.m. waiting all first round and saw no picks

not bad anyway the 2nd round that i read this morning: Chung, Brace and Butler look good picks; i do not know so much about Vollmer but if they choose him with pick 58 there mist be a reason...Go Pats ! let's see day 2...i would like some OLB
U mean you didn't stay up till 4 AM??? you should be happy they picked a European!! One who played a lot of soccer....before football.

U mean you didn't stay up till 4 AM??? you should be happy they picked a European!! One who played a lot of soccer....before football.

To him it was football. Maybe he accidentally tried out for a football team thinking it was soccer and it ended up working out.

As for Beatty, clearly the Pats didn't feel about him the way you did. Clearly they fealt that Vollmer was the better long term prospect. Especially since they can sit him as the 4th OT and use LaVoir as the swing tackle on game days.

Also, Vollmer didn't jump 3 rounds because of the East/West Shrine game. You also have to remember that many of those guides don't get updated before they are published. As for the Online ones, Vollmer, though he did improve, only went up 1 round on NFLDraftScout. Not sure about Huddle Report.
Yeah, with Vollmer's size, strength, intelligence, and humility...he's about to become Dante's science experiment for the next year or two where I have confidence he'll emerge as the team's starting OT.

Bellichick's confidence in Dante is a factor in the supposed reach of drafting Vollmer so high.

I kind of wished the Pats traded one of their many 2's for a future one, as their were two buyers looking. Today, I'd go for a future #2 for one of our three's.
We used free agency this year to fill holes vs the draft. Though, the players we got could pay dividends.

Here is some quick bullet points, on what Day 1 means..

1 Those idiotic mock draft that these draft guys, mcshay , kiper and so on and so forth mean crap...

wow, you are a slow learner. I have known this for decades.

Last edited:
Re: What we learned from Day 1..

I wondered why I hadn't heard of that Mitchell guy..

Actually, a classic moment on ESPN yesterday was Berman pulling out Mel Kipers draft guide and while flipping through it asking Mel where Mitchell was in the book. Mel said he wasn't in there because he didn't have him rated high enough and Boomer replied, "But you have 72 safeties listed". Mel basically said that he guess Mitchell would be 73rd then.

Last edited:
I kind of wished the Pats traded one of their many 2's for a future one, as their were two buyers looking. Today, I'd go for a future #2 for one of our three's.
We used free agency this year to fill holes vs the draft. Though, the players we got could pay dividends.

Who were these two "buyers" who were looking to trade picks from 2010?

This probably dashes Ochmed's dream of drafting Terrance Cody next year.

FWIW, though, Warren-Wilfork-Brace-Seymour would be a rather impressive wall on third downs.

Heck, if you wanted to take that further, Warren-Wright-Wilfork-Brace-Seymour. Now that would just be daring teams to try and run. :D

I'm with you here.

As for Terrance Cody, I think he's a fantastic player. But his fantastic-ness is so obvious right now that he's a top 10 lock, especially with so many teams moving to the 3-4. We had very little chance of ever getting him.

Re: What we learned from Day 1..

Actually, a classic moment on ESPN yesterday was Berman pulling out Mel Kipers draft guide and while flipping through it asking Mel where Mitchell was in the book. Mel said he wasn't in there because he didn't have him rated high enough and Boomer replied, "But you have 72 safeties listed". Mel basically said that he guess Mitchell would be 73rd then.

I just looked Mitchell up on NFLDraftscout.com and Mitchell was listed as a 6th round pick.. And that he was a riser because of his Pro-Day.

The big thing I learned is that all the FA signings and first day picks tell me that in BB's opinion the primary problem with the defense last year was not the pass rush it was the coverage, mostly the CBs.

BB drafted the valued 'smart/mature' guys over the pure talent:

Chung over Delmas
Butler over Vontae
Vollmer over Oher

The big thing I learned is that all the FA signings and first day picks tell me that in BB's opinion the primary problem with the defense last year was not the pass rush it was the coverage, mostly the CBs.

Good observation. I guess BB is thinking the scheme should allow for enough coverage for the pass rush to get there.

I thought that until I looked at the other teams in the Bellichick/Parcells tree and noticed their drafts. Only Denver, with Ayers, took any linebackers.

What I learned:

- 4 PM start time sucks.
- Al Davis is always good for a hearty chuckle come draft day.
- Mock drafts.. lol
- I need to get a falling-sky repellant umbrella since the Pats didn't draft Barwin or Mala-whatshisface.

The Kiper moment with Berman and Wade Phillips standing in the war room befuddled were so awesome.

U mean you didn't stay up till 4 AM?

1 am sunday here was 7 pm saturday by you

we have 6 hours difference

this is the reason i love yr 1 pm games (here 7 pm)

Good observation. I guess BB is thinking the scheme should allow for enough coverage for the pass rush to get there.

Sure. If the first read is always available, it is tough for anyone to get to the QB. If he has to go through his progression it is much more difficult. It seems to me the Pats are not a split the gaps at any cost defense. They are big and strong, more read and react, and their front 7 contain no pure pass rushers. I think this style of defense puts more stress on the coverage than you find on the Giants, Colts, etc. They have a great deal of quickness and speed back there now, and I would not be surprised to see them put up big numbers for sacks with current front 7.

I learned that BB wanted to get younger and faster in the secondary.

Sure. If the first read is always available, it is tough for anyone to get to the QB. If he has to go through his progression it is much more difficult. It seems to me the Pats are not a split the gaps at any cost defense. They are big and strong, more read and react, and their front 7 contain no pure pass rushers. I think this style of defense puts more stress on the coverage than you find on the Giants, Colts, etc. They have a great deal of quickness and speed back there now, and I would not be surprised to see them put up big numbers for sacks with current front 7.

Agreed. In 2007 when the secondary was better, the Patriots, with pretty much the same front 7 minus a few people, were second in the league behind the Giants in sacks.

I thought that until I looked at the other teams in the Bellichick/Parcells tree and noticed their drafts. Only Denver, with Ayers, took any linebackers.

Not sure I understand? Denver of course had a different foundation (if you could call the Denver defense a "foundation") on which to build. I expect we will see multiple LBs taken today, but I think with our pass rush it will be the same guys. But I would imagine Peas will have a lot more flexibility to blitz with this secondary, and Mayo, Guyton and Thomas are very fast....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News