PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the worst rule in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zippo59 said:
It's sad but I think the injury report was established primarily for the betters.
That's exactly right (almost). Not that the NFL would support betting...

The rule I hate is...

the play-offs continue on even after the Pats get eliminated. Once the Pats are out of the play-offs why bother and who cares? SuperBowls suck without us in them. The Steelers vs Seahawks sucked so bad.

Our Superbowls have drama and give + take. It comes down to the end. Lots of excitement.:D :D :D

NEM said:
What I would like to see is the NFL to adopt a rule that is used in the Arena League.

Ihate it when a QB puts his knee down at the end of the first half and at the end of the fourth quarter, like sometimes three plays in a row.

That is NOT football.

The Arena league makes it mandatory that the team with the ball gain POSITIVE yardage or the clock stops.

If their QB puts his knee down to stop the clock, and does not gain POSITIVE yardage from the line of scrimmage, the clock stops and doesnt start till the ball is snapped on the next play.

The NFL should adopt it.

They could add a variation though.... If it is in the last 45 seconds, and the team with the ball is ahead by more than 8 points, then the clock could keep running.

The NFL has made it very clear that preventing injuries to the players is ver high on its priority list through the various and abundant late hits and unnecessary roughness rules. I don't see them changing a rule that would increase the chance of a players getting injured in a somewhat unnecesary situation.

I think they should allow goal line cameras so that they can prove once and for all if the goal line was crossed by having a clear film of it. It's some sort of stupid rule that must be preventing it because it obviously makes a lot of sense to have cameras there.

:confused:

dr said:
I'm probably going to get spanked for this but the Tuck Rule makes no sense to me.

:rofl:.....................................:rofl:.....................................:rofl:

I hate the kickoff out of bounds rule. It was better when they kept having to backup.

How about when a player is going down, but he lands on another player and avoids hitting the grass directly.

In my opinion he should be down, but I've seen the play continue a few times. I think this is the same type of judement call as a reciever that jumps and catch the ball and is pushed out of bounds before comming down.

the tuck rule :)

zippo59 said:
The NFL has made it very clear that preventing injuries to the players is ver high on its priority list through the various and abundant late hits and unnecessary roughness rules. I don't see them changing a rule that would increase the chance of a players getting injured in a somewhat unnecesary situation.

It's ironic to read that after your response to injury reporting.

Illegal Contact rule that was changed, why are they trying to make this sport for softies who cant take pain and hits. Make the game tough.

OhExaulted1 said:
It's ironic to read that after your response to injury reporting.

Why is that? Reporting injuries is seperate from preventing them.

desi-patsfan said:
i cant think of it right now, but does anyone remember last year Brady got flagged for some sort of illegal block on a reverse?
I do remember that, he made a good block too. And i still dont get it.

In addition to some I have seen, I do not like the way the ball just needs to break the plane and you can hand the ball across the line. You should have to put the ball down with pressure (like rugby) or have both feet in the end zone.

bad rules and penalties...

Helmet to helmet, 15 yard penalty

You cannot block/hit the QB whenever returning an INT or fumble.

Tacky illegal contact automatic first down flags

PonyExpress said:
My vote goes to when they increased the play clock from 30 to 45 seconds in 1988. The games became longer, at times tedious, and more specialized, with all the fat bodies running in and out gasping for air after each play.

Plays whistled dead on "down by contact." :mad:

Last edited:
I hate the rule that a coin flip determines who has the choice in overtime.
Both Quarterbacks should have to fight instead of a coin flip, with the winner getting the choice.

onegameatatime said:
In addition to some I have seen, I do not like the way the ball just needs to break the plane and you can hand the ball across the line. You should have to put the ball down with pressure (like rugby) or have both feet in the end zone.

I agree. I think it would have to be both feet in the endzone as the touching down is harder to do in Football, e.g. a receiver catching a pass in the back of the endzone.

The other thing I hate personally is the cut block. It just seems to be designed for people who can't block properly. I happen to think it is too dangerous.

On a missed field goal, the opposing team takes posession at the spot of the kick ... why? It's a 7 yard advantage that makes no sense. It's like saying an incomplete pass on 4th down gives the ball to the other team from the spot of the pass, not the line of scrimmage.

I wouldn't mind if they reverted the play clock from 45 back to 30 seconds. First it would speed up the ballgame. Secondly it would make grinding out the clock a lot more difficult and there's a chance you'd see more excitement at the end of games even without timeouts.

As for worst rule? I dunno there's a lot of bad ones. But nothing that really detracts from enjoyment for me. I do think in general they have too many rules favoring the QBs. For example isn't the slide rule kind of a ****y way out? It's like as long as you leave your feet before someone can hit you, you can go anywhere you want just because you take the snap from center... Makes no sense.

Chevy said:
On a missed field goal, the opposing team takes posession at the spot of the kick ... why?
Because they spot the ball the last place it touches the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye