PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the worst rule in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
My vote goes to when they increased the play clock from 30 to 45 seconds in 1988. The games became longer, at times tedious, and more specialized, with all the fat bodies running in and out gasping for air after each play.

Worst rule is the OT rule. If the team that scores first wins, you have to make them score a TD.

The way pass interference is called. IMO you have to let the boys play and calling somebody for a minor bump, or something else along those lines, is complete crap.

Hitting the kicker after field goals or punts. This should be allowed.

The rules that they have to protect the QB are too restrictive. The NFL completely over reacts to injuries to QBs. Its becoming impossible to make a legal tackle on QBs now adays. There's no helmet to helmet contact allowed (I know this applies to everyone), hands to the head, or tackling below the knees.

I also hate it when they call offsides when a lineman makes a flinch that is barely perceptible to the naked eye. If a flinch is minor and doesn't draw a defender, let it go.

Pass interference is too restrictive. Instead of enforcing the penalty at the spot of the foul it should be a 15 yard penalty.

small flinches are a little annoying..how about the new Ty Law rule? No contact beyond 5 yards..not even a little. PIs sohuld be reviewable

i cant think of it right now, but does anyone remember last year Brady got flagged for some sort of illegal block on a reverse?

Remix 6 said:
how about the new Ty Law rule? No contact beyond 5 yards..not even a little. PIs sohuld be reviewable
That's not really a new rule, they just started paying closer attention to it. I think Ty Law is the one that coined it the "Ty Law rule", which really is bullstuff.

I don't like the limitations on what can be reviewed and what can't. Should be all or nothing to me.

I also hate the extra long Super Bowl halftime.

law didnt call it the Ty Law Rule..people started calling it that because he was 1 of the most physical corners

desi-patsfan said:
i cant think of it right now, but does anyone remember last year Brady got flagged for some sort of illegal block on a reverse?
That was ruled a "crack-back" block-I believe that type of downfield crackback only became illegal in 1979...

I'm probably going to get spanked for this but the Tuck Rule makes no sense to me.

dr said:
I'm probably going to get spanked for this but the Tuck Rule makes no sense to me.

I was just thinking the same. The only way I can justify is it to avoid the ref having to determine the intent of a quarterback when he moves his arm forward, deciding if he was going to pass or tuck the ball. I think the league tries to avoid judgement calls like this, to keep calls as consistent as possible.

The rule I hate is intentional grounding.Isn't it the QB's job not to take a loss.So the defense doesn't get a sack,but they did there job,and didn't let the QB gain any yards.How come spiking the ball isn't intentional grounding.What receiver was he throwing it to.

Remix 6 said:
law didnt call it the Ty Law Rule..people started calling it that because he was 1 of the most physical corners
If you want to get precise about it, the league starting emphasizing it after Polian *****ed about his WRs getting destroyed off the line in the 2003 playoffs. Ty Law did do alot of the destroying, as you say. I don't know who first coined it the "Ty Law Rule" (even thought it was not an actual rule change), but I have heard Ty Law call it that... which is a little too Ricky Henderson-ish for me. The Patjew Rule states that one cannot refer to himself in the third person.

1. First down at the spot for a PI. There is no way of knowing if the wr is going to catch the ball. Use the college rule, 15 yards.

2. D-linemen can jump all day as long as they are not in the neutral zone at the snap. The oline must be more or less still or it is a 5 yard penalty.

I don't like that a pass is incomplete if the WR catches it but then loses control after falling out of bounds.

BehindEnemyLines said:
The rule I hate is intentional grounding.Isn't it the QB's job not to take a loss.So the defense doesn't get a sack,but they did there job,and didn't let the QB gain any yards.How come spiking the ball isn't intentional grounding.What receiver was he throwing it to.

The difference, I think, is that a spike costs you a yard or two anyways, as opposed to 'throwing away the ball', which in theory would leave you at the line of scrimmage.

BradfordPatsFan said:
1. First down at the spot for a PI. There is no way of knowing if the wr is going to catch the ball. Use the college rule, 15 yards.

But then if a DB knew he was beat on a deep throw he would purposely interfere with the WR to make sure he doesn't catch the ball, knowing that then the offense would gain only 15 yards instead of the 30+ or whatever the gain would have been if the WR had actually caught the pass. I think the NFL must put the ball at the spot of the foul on PI, however I feel PI penalties should be challengeable. When we're talking about penalties of 60 sixty yards or more there is just to much at stake to leave the call to a ref who just saw it for a split second and was God only knows how far away from the play. I also think that the PI rules should be loosened so defensive backs can actually, I don't know.....defend.

I (like BB) don't like the injury reporting rules. Why should you let an opponent know specifically where to target a player your obliged to protect.

I'll bet that definately builds loyalty among players when they know a coach is willing to stick his neck out and get fined to protect his guys.

OhExaulted1 said:
I (like BB) don't like the injury reporting rules. Why should you let an opponent know specifically where to target a player your obliged to protect.

I'll bet that definately builds loyalty among players when they know a coach is willing to stick his neck out and get fined to protect his guys.

It's sad but I think the injury report was established primarily for the betters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft