PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the ceiling for Brandon LaFell as a Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

English Patriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Have to say apart from the odd drops now and then he is looking really, really good and whilst i don't know whether it's just Tom being Tom and making him look good, but I definitely think he deserves some credit at this mid point right now because his YAC that he always seems to get and the way he's using his body to get the ball makes him a potentially explosive player we can rely on.

So in terms of how good he could be what is his ceiling in this offense?

Last edited:
He's looking more and more like a 1,000 yard 10 touchdown receiver type of guy. From memory, I would have been happy with 700 and 5.

He's looking more and more like a 1,000 yard 10 touchdown receiver type of guy. From memory, I would have been happy with 700 and 5.
I would have ECSTATIC with 700 and 5 but the thought of him being 1000 and 10 is a great thing when you consider the amazing production of Gronk and Edelman

He's looking like an improvement over Brandon Llyod (faster, bigger, more physical, better YACs, range)--which is what some here felt could eventually happen; although admittedly not in year one.

Brady looked for him early and often on the first drive. He dropped the ball, and dropped it again in the end zone.

Then he got straightened out and made some catches, but he could've had a way bigger game.

I think he can be a 1,000+ yard WR in New England.

I never could understand why there was so much negativity towards LaFell when the Pats signed him. He always seemed like he had proven NFL production and a skill set (big bodied physical receiver) the Pats desperately needed.

I never could understand why there was so much negativity towards LaFell when the Pats signed him. He always seemed like he had proven NFL production and a skill set (big bodied physical receiver) the Pats desperately needed.
It's because everyone who is brought in needs to immediately perform like Wes Welker and Randy Moss. Get with the program would you! ;)

It appears that he's quickly made it over the hump that is the true test of how a reciever will communicate and perform with Brady. That's on par with guys like Moss, Welker, Brown, Branch.... except with his own unique skillet. We all know the failures: Ochocinco, Holt etc; jury's still out on Amendola, but he's going slower than most. The key in my mind is that he looks better out there than Lloyd did (not that my memory is anything to be proud of), and Lloyd had 74 for 911 and 4 tds in his season. I think somewhere in the middle of Lloyd and Moss is a reasonable expectation.

He's looking like an improvement over Brandon Llyod (faster, bigger, more physical, better YACs, range)--which is what some here felt could eventually happen; although admittedly not in year one.

And less of a headcase...

As long as he stays healthy, he will be huge for us in January.

Not to say I'd go that far, but someone brought up Alshon Jeffery last week. Similar size (6'3" 210 for LaFell, 6'3" 216 for Jeffery). Statistically they are having very similar seasons:

Jeffery: 38 receptions, 563 yards, 14.8 YPC, 3 TDs
LaFell: 36 reeptions, 514 yards, 14.3 YPC, 5 TDs

I'm content for LaFell to just keep putting in the work and getting better. He's doing a great job.

Last edited:
There is only one thing that worried me then and worries me now on LaFell. He drops passes when we cannot have that kind of mistake.

Against Denver, our first "Big game" IMO, he had 2 drops, one in the end zone,and both of them happened when the game was close. He did get better afterwards, but the game was much more on our side at that time.

If he gets that part of the game better, he has the potential to be a very good #1. Not elite, but i'd say good enough for a probowl on a constant basis

Isn't that a bit like saying, "he'd be a smarter, more productive Chad Jackson?" :)

The key for this team is for LaFell to provide a consistent outside the hash marks, mid-level receiving threat that defenses must respect. While it is never good to drop passes, by beating DBs and getting downfield often opens things up for the others...

Isn't that a bit like saying, "he'd be a smarter, more productive Chad Jackson?" :)
While the team felt that they were better off without him, Lloyd did produce here.

he has had a tendency to lose focus........rounding off or not finishing routes.......he's come a long way since the beginning of the season. if he can maintain disciplined route running, we can live with the dropsies

Out of necessity, sure.
Yea. My understanding was that he wasn't exactly the kind of locker room presence they had hoped he would be. That and they would have owed him like $5m in 2013...

In terms of physicality, that's like saying Arnold Schwarzenegger is an improvement over Andy ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe