PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Dez Bryant slides to twenty-two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How in the world could that ever happen?

That's the point I was trying to make, CM. It probably won't happen but it wouldn't matter anyway as I explained later: It's all fun to speculate, but until the draft comes up to number 22, no one, not even BB knows exactly what will go down.

The real question is what will BB do if Dez Bryant, Odrick, Spiller, Brandon Graham, Kindle and Hughes are all there at 22.

That's an easy question: Trade down.

And yes I suspect that Dez will slide down that far and at least one more place. There is no way BB wants a guy with a learning disability.

If Bryant is there at 22 they need to pick him. He is a top 10 talent and they may regret it if they pass him up. Anyone recall Randy Moss back in 1998? BB will shape the kid up.

Why does everyone keep mentioning Moss' name, including Bryant himself. Are people forgetting that Moss had veteran Cris Carter as a mentor. How much of a role model can Moss be to Bryant next season if he believes that it could be his last season as a Patriot? He'll be too concern about looking for his next contract than to care about a rookie who could be his replacement.

That's the point I was trying to make, CM. It probably won't happen but it wouldn't matter anyway as I explained later: It's all fun to speculate, but until the draft comes up to number 22, no one, not even BB knows exactly what will go down.

Exactly. Much like the NCAA Tournament brackets, it's fun to speculate and to fill out mock drafts etc. But likely by the 5th or 6th pick, your mock draft has already gone down in flames.

It cracks me up every year to see everyone trying to figure out what's going to happen at pick #50 etc, because they'll never even get the first 10 correct. I'm far from saying that I could do any better, because I couldn't, I don't even try, there's just too many damn variables involved. I find it funny to see everyone and their brother's mock drafts version 4.0--mostly all the mediots.

The bottom line is that it gives us all something to do, and it is fun to try and figure out who our specific team will take. Other than that, it's a complete crapshoot.

Why does everyone keep mentioning Moss' name, including Bryant himself. Are people forgetting that Moss had veteran Cris Carter as a mentor. How much of a role model can Moss be to Bryant next season if he believes that it could be his last season as a Patriot? He'll be too concern about looking for his next contract than to care about a rookie who could be his replacement.

True that brah, but I never said anything about Moss being a Mentor to Bryant. I am comparing a good receiver (Bryant) not being picked due to off field issues to another good receiver (Moss) who also had issues off field. Other teams ended up missing out because they passed on such talent Even if Moss is most likely leaving after this year I don't see why he won't give Bryant a few pointers while he's here. If he's interested in winning this year and can worry about next year next year then things should be fine and Bryant could learn a lot from him.

Last edited:
There's no guarantee that Bryant will slide in the first round. Everything said is speculative at this point.

I still don't see the comparison between Moss' situation and Bryant's situation.

For one thing, teams were wary of Moss due to his failed drug test. He smoked marijuana... So there was good reason to be suspicious of drafting Moss. Whereas, with Bryant, you might just have some teams discrediting Bryant in order to see him slide to them.

There's no guarantee that Bryant will slide in the first round. Everything said is speculative at this point.

I still don't see the comparison between Moss' situation and Bryant's situation.

For one thing, teams were wary of Moss due to his failed drug test. He smoked marijuana... So there was good reason to be suspicious of drafting Moss. Whereas, with Bryant, you might just have some teams discrediting Bryant in order to see him slide to them.

Who doesn't/hasn't? Although It did rightfully make Moss look bad because he should be 100% sober while preparing for the NFL. Only thing about Bryant that worries me is his intelligence. We can't have air heads on our team but at 22 lets grab the airhead.

Last edited:
These are some interesting comments...

The next three teams who are picking after Miami include San Francisco, Seattle and the Giants. San Francisco drafted Crabtree last year and also have Vernon Davis. I suppose Seattle isn't strong at wide receiver after Houshmandzadeh, but they could trade for Brandon Marshall. And the Giants are deep at wide receiver.

I wonder which team that scout represents.

Neither Tennessee or Pittsburgh really need to draft a wider receiver in the first round. Like San Francisco, Atlanta has a top wider receiver and tight end duo. So a wide receiver might not be an immediate need for them either.

I'm going to guess that the team in question is the Jets. I want to say Cincinnati but they'd signed Antonio Bryant and need a tight end more. I mean you could make the case that almost none of the teams picking after Miami are in dire need of selecting a wide receiver. I really see only three teams, Cincinnati, New England and the Jets, who could select Bryant if he slides out of the top fifteen.

Regarding Bryant, ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Bill Parcells "loves being a mentor,'' and Parcells is "very close'' with Bryant's agent, Eugene Parker. But "I just don't know if he'll pull the trigger'' on Bryant, Mortensen said. He added that Bryant's agents hired a life-skills coach for him and that Oklahoma State coaches have said Bryant is not a character problem but is gullible and had time-management issues.

One scout for a team picking after Miami, hoping Bryant falls, indicated criticism has been overstated -- Bryant never was arrested -- and that his on-field performance speaks for itself. Oklahoma State has denied a report that Bryant showed up 30 minutes before a game. Though several mock drafts (including Mel Kiper's) have him going 11th, some believe he could fall.

Draft options are abundant in Miami Dolphins' receiver search - Sports Buzz - MiamiHerald.com

Would New England select or pass? Or, would they trade the pick in order to trade down with a team that wants Bryant at twenty-two.

I don't think that he'll end up sliding that low, but you've to expect the unexpected during the draft.

To answer my own question, it's a matter of talent versus trouble. Is Dez Bryant trouble waiting to happen on your team? Besides, I don't trust drafting a wide receiver over a safer pick in a tight end. Sure, there are a few wide receivers who could go in the first two round who intrigue me. But drafting a tight end is the "safe pick" for the Patriots in terms of selecting a wide receiver or tight end. So no, I would pass on Bryant. If you're New England, you've to think strategically. That is, you turn this situation into obtaining a third round pick this year.

I was somewhat right!

I hope New England received a third round pick from Dallas.

I was somewhat right!

I hope New England received a third round pick from Dallas.
#90, but they had to give up #119 in the 4th round.

So, New England now owns the forty-fourth, forty-seventh and fifty-third picks in the second round. The ninetieth pick in the third round, and the one hundred and fourteenth pick in the fourth round.

Well, Denver's fourth round pick is higher than what was their own so I'm fine with that. However, their third round pick was higher than what was Dallas' pick. Whatever. I'm just glad that New England managed to acquire a third round pick.

I hope the team doesn't regret passing on Bryant.

I don't think Belichick will regret it if you believe he never had an interest in selecting Bryant. Besides, the belief is that next year's potential draft prospects at wide receiver will be better.

The thing is, Bryant could be overrated. Dallas might have a wide receiver, Austin, who could be better than both Williams (another overrated wide receiver selected in the first round) and Bryant next season or longterm.

I'll go on record as saying I was disappointed the Patriots passed on Bryant and Demaryius Thomas. I know there were plenty or reasons not to like either guy and I also know that there will be a better group of WR's in next years draft (I should say it's likely the top wr's in next years draft will be more well regarded). I really feel like this team needs another playmaker at WR to win in 2010 and I am not interested in going through another year without enough firepower on offense.

If the Patriots didn't like either one, I am glad they moved down and acquired a 3rd round pick in the process. I would have taken Bryant after the trade down with the Broncos. I could have drafted a guy that finally would give us someone who could make defenses pay for their coverage on Moss or a guy who couldn't get on the field. Either way, I thought the risk/reward on Bryant at that point was worth it.

The wide receiver to draft in the second round for New England might be Arrelious Benn. However, he'll likely be gone by #44. But, if he last this long, Belichick shouldn't hesitate to select him. He did visit New England...

Did anybody else notice the look on Bryant's face when the NFLN showed him answering the phone call from Dallas? Not a trace of a smile ever crossed his mug. Instead, he looked like he wanted to punch someone.

Eff that punk. I hope he's out of football before his rookie contract expires.

He's happy... He's from Texas and is a Dallas fan. Ironically, Oklahoma State's nickname is the Cowboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes