PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you think happens with Brian Hoyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes no sense to actually keep both Hoyer and Mallet as back ups to Brady. One has to go after this season, and Hoyer makes the most sense. Mallet has the talent to be a franchise QB. He has more value and should be kept unless some team is willing to give you a high 2nd or above, and I don't think that will happen.

You take what you can get for Hoyer, and wish him well. They got more than they should have expected from an UDFA QB. Hopefully he'll get a shot at playing a full game at the end of the season if not to showcase him, then to keep Brady safe.

No reason to think Mallett is ready to backup Brady.
Brady gets nicked and bruised, getting long in tooth.
More confidence in Hoyer replacing Brady in event of injury at this stage.
The price is right.
If Mallett turns out ok then its a quality threesome, Mallett can take over the next year as #2.

Drop Hoyer and go with Mallet. With another year with the Pats Mallet should already have surpassed Hoyer on the depth chart. I believe when we had Hoyer he was backing up Brady in his first year as an UDFA.

Drop Hoyer and go with Mallet. With another year with the Pats Mallet should already have surpassed Hoyer on the depth chart. I believe when we had Hoyer he was backing up Brady in his first year as an UDFA.
Correct. People forget that the Pat went with Hoyer as their back up in his rookie year, so Mallet is infinitely more prepared that Hoyer was at the same point in their careers.

However this is Hoyer's contract year and Mallet is ready to take his place. THIS is the time to get him some film time. I believe he can lead the Pats to a win over the Bills at this point of the season. I can't see the Saints letting Brady get a sniff to pass Brees. So what's the point of him playing dinged. If you have to, get a series and get out. This is Hoyer time. I'd like to think the Pats could get as high as a 4th for him.

Correct. People forget that the Pat went with Hoyer as their back up in his rookie year, so Mallet is infinitely more prepared that Hoyer was at the same point in their careers.

However this is Hoyer's contract year and Mallet is ready to take his place. THIS is the time to get him some film time. I believe he can lead the Pats to a win over the Bills at this point of the season. I can't see the Saints letting Brady get a sniff to pass Brees. So what's the point of him playing dinged. If you have to, get a series and get out. This is Hoyer time. I'd like to think the Pats could get as high as a 4th for him.

I'm not as confident Hoyer leads us to a W as you. It's simply not worth the risk IMO.

Last edited:
Hoyer leaves for a place with a chance to compete. I am thinking Washington or Clevleand. He will probably get enough money to warrant a late rd pick as comp.

Hoyer leaves for a place with a chance to compete. I am thinking Washington or Clevleand. He will probably get enough money to warrant a late rd pick as comp.

You don't think the Pats will extend a tender offer at the 2nd round level, at least? Last year that was just under $2 million. A little rich for a backup QB, but still a reasonable luxury for a team with a comfortable amount of cap space. If a deal can be struck with another team, you let him go. For me, a current mid-rounder and a future 2nd gets it done...Unless Hoyer lights it up today in the 2nd half, haha!

Since you mentioned them, Cleveland does have extra picks in the 1st, 4th and 6th rounds. Not sure if that would send a resounding vote of confidence to their incumbent, Colt McCoy.

Last edited:
I am not sure Matt Flynn's game today helps Hoyer...

You don't think the Pats will extend a tender offer at the 2nd round level, at least? Last year that was just under $2 million. A little rich for a backup QB, but still a reasonable luxury for a team with a comfortable amount of cap space. If a deal can be struck with another team, you let him go. For me, a current mid-rounder and a future 2nd gets it done...Unless Hoyer lights it up today in the 2nd half, haha!

Since you mentioned them, Cleveland does have extra picks in the 1st, 4th and 6th rounds. Not sure if that would send a resounding vote of confidence to their incumbent, Colt McCoy.

You can't get comp picks for an RFA, period.

You can't get comp picks for an RFA, period.

Where did I suggest anything about comp picks? You must have been responding to another poster.

What I was suggesting is that the Pats tender Hoyer at a RFA 2nd round level, meaning another team can sign him but the Pats would have a right to match or opt to receive a 2nd rounder. From time to time teams agree to some other compensation. If I recall, the Pats paid in excess of the tender for Welker, albeit only an additional 7th. Not certain of this though.

Is this a do-able trade value wise, both from our and Miami's perspective?

Patriots trade Ryan Mallett and our highest first rounder for Dolphins first rounder.

Obviously all bets are off if BB sees Mallett as the ideal Brady replacement but assuming that's not the case, what's at stake:

Patriots effectively trade a third rounder to move up 20+ positions in the draft. Are in a good position for Brockers, Michael Floyd, pick of the pass rushers or whatever your poison is. A trade up without giving up valuable draft stock seems a much better way of getting players closer to the elite level than we're likely to get now. Hoyer remains the backup, or they draft one of the mid round, but quite good QB's like Weeden or Cousins. And if they make this trade pre-draft, then they could get better returns on trading down if they don't like who's there at #8.

And unless the Dolphins hated Mallett last time round (they did pass on him after all) or love another QB, this seems like a win for them. They don't give up a pick to get their QBOTF, just surrender draft position, they don't fork out big money on the likes of Matt Flynn and their new HC gets his shiny new QB. The Dolphins will most likely miss out on the very top players in the draft and are possibly a little too high for the likes of DeCastro or Upshaw.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Unless BB thinks Mallett is going to be at best an avg qb, he isn't going to trade him within the division.

Guys like Tavaris Jackson and Tyler Thigpen have been given second round tenders in the past (techniclally Jackson was an original round tender which was the second) so I see no reason the Pats won't tender Hoyer.

I think Hoyer staying depends on Mallet. If they see promise they can flip Hoyer for a conditional pick. If Mallet is going the route of Kevin O'C then perhaps Hoyer stays.

Team with needs.

Jax - Gabbert looks awful and worst case Hoyer pushes him.
Clev - McCoy is injury prone.
Wash - Rex
Sea - Jackson, etc
Mia - Moore looked ok but not sure he's the long term solution
NYJ - They have a lazy QB :singing:

Where did I suggest anything about comp picks? You must have been responding to another poster.

Yeah, I was responding to someone else. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back