PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you think happens with Brian Hoyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but after a year in our system, he also wears the baggage of being a New England "system" QB. That is going to put off some teams.
I don't think so. The smaller, average armed Hoyer could easily be seen that way. Mallett is still the physical stud he has always been. Nothing about him says "system QB", he's just had a year of pro learning from the best.

I think Hoyer and Mallett will both be here next year. The only way Hoyer is gone is if with all of these college QBs staying in a team like the Redskins or Seahawks get desperate and offer a 2nd rounder for Hoyer. But it appears that Matt Flynn is set to be the hot back up QB this off season.

With the decision of Matt Barkley to stay at USC, what value does Mallett have? If as I've seen argued, Mallett rates as a better QB than Tannehill or Landry Jones, and bearing in mind that Mallett has a years experience working with an NFL offense which draft QB's don't, would he be worth a first round pick to another team? And would you want to take it if he did?

I think if the Redskins, and yes even the Dolphins, offered their first for him, I'd be very tempted.

I started a thread exactly like that on draftcountdown. Most posters feel that way. Mallett is better than either of those 2. Stoops has said he thinks that Landry Jones will return to OU. Makes Mallett even more valuable. I think Seattle is a possibility in addition to the 2 teams you mentioned.

I think Hoyer and Mallett will both be here next year. The only way Hoyer is gone is if with all of these college QBs staying in a team like the Redskins or Seahawks get desperate and offer a 2nd rounder for Hoyer. But it appears that Matt Flynn is set to be the hot back up QB this off season.

Thing is, though, the Pats didn't use a draft pick on Hoyer, so even if "all" they get is a 3 or a 4, it's 100% profit. [Remember that, in any case, they got three years of capable backup at rookie minimum cost, which in and of itself is a win.]

I wouldn't give Mallett for a 1st rounder this year but I'd give him for a 1st rounder in a future draft. This years draft seems pretty weak.

I wouldn't give Mallett for a 1st rounder this year but I'd give him for a 1st rounder in a future draft. This years draft seems pretty weak.

The team you'd be trading him to would want it that way too. Miami or Washington wouldn't want to give up a Top 10 pick for him. Seattle might give you their first this year. Especially, if they win out and go 9-7.

With the decision of Matt Barkley to stay at USC, what value does Mallett have? If as I've seen argued, Mallett rates as a better QB than Tannehill or Landry Jones, and bearing in mind that Mallett has a years experience working with an NFL offense which draft QB's don't, would he be worth a first round pick to another team? And would you want to take it if he did?

I think if the Redskins, and yes even the Dolphins, offered their first for him, I'd be very tempted.
Mallett not only rates better but spent one year in the NFL. I wouldn't trade him for a 1st round pic right now unless the team is desperate to offer a deal that is too good to turn down which is probably unlikely. There is also the unknown involved which is what BB's plans are for Mallett and is he the future quarterback. Teams may want a qb with some experience at a more "affordable price" like Hoyer and his value may go up. Teams that wanted Barkely may be looking for a player like Hoyer until they can get a long-term quarterback in future drafts.

Last edited:
I started a thread exactly like that on draftcountdown. Most posters feel that way. Mallett is better than either of those 2. Stoops has said he thinks that Landry Jones will return to OU. Makes Mallett even more valuable. I think Seattle is a possibility in addition to the 2 teams you mentioned.

Well props to you, it's that thread that gave me the idea of asking the question.

Seattle, however, is definitely not a possible spot for Mallett. He's not the type of QB they're looking for and apparently wasn't even on their board last year (too immobile).

Well props to you, it's that thread that gave me the idea of asking the question.

Seattle, however, is definitely not a possible spot for Mallett. He's not the type of QB they're looking for and apparently wasn't even on their board last year (too immobile).

May the Gods of your choices BLESS you, Gentlemen!! :rocker:

With Barkley pulling out, the Top Shelf Pocket QuarterBack Market is cut in HALF!! :eek:

Mallett pulling us a 1st Rounder suddenly becomes a VERY viable reality!! :eek:

...Especially if we Pimp him OUT, Week 17!! :rocker:

Mallett not only rates better but spent one year in the NFL. I wouldn't trade him for a 1st round pic right now unless the team is desperate to offer a deal that is too good to turn down which is probably unlikely. There is also the unknown involved which is what BB's plans are for Mallett and is he the future quarterback. Teams may want a qb with some experience at a more "affordable price" like Hoyer and his value may go up. Teams that wanted Barkely may be looking for a player like Hoyer until they can get a long-term quarterback in future drafts.

I know we all hit the egg jog pretty hard this time of year but your comments are pretty far fetched. If any team offered a 1st round pick for Mallett BB would drive him to the airport and the other GM would be fired on the spot.

Mallett has not ever thrown an NFL pass, Cassel only got a 2nd after an 11 win season, and the Patriots had to throw in Vrable.

I know we all hit the egg jog pretty hard this time of year but your comments are pretty far fetched. If any team offered a 1st round pick for Mallett BB would drive him to the airport and the other GM would be fired on the spot.

Mallett has not ever thrown an NFL pass, Cassel only got a 2nd after an 11 win season, and the Patriots had to throw in Vrable.

Again, you can't use Cassel to prove anything here; any team trading for Cassel would have had to give him at least $14.6M guaranteed.

Again, you can't use Cassel to prove anything here; any team trading for Cassel would have had to give him at least $14.6M guaranteed.

Lets put Cassell aside, is Mallett worth a 1st round pick?

If so, please walk me through the rationale that an opposing GM would use to validate such a trade.

If so, please walk me through the rationale that an opposing GM would use to validate such a trade.

Why wouldnt Mallett be worth a 1st round pick? Scouts all over the place said he threw the ball better than any other QB in last year's draft, he still has that talent and he's signed to a contract worth a lot less than 1st round QBs have. I'd say that makes him a bit of a bargain.

Why wouldnt Mallett be worth a 1st round pick? Scouts all over the place said he threw the ball better than any other QB in last year's draft, he still has that talent and he's signed to a contract worth a lot less than 1st round QBs have. I'd say that makes him a bit of a bargain.

I politely disagree, he is now has 3 years remaining on his contract. If he was such a prized commodity why wouldn't a team have drafted him in the 1st or 2nd round last year?

Anyway, to wach his own. Pretty sure he won't be traded, enjoy the holidays.

I politely disagree, he is now has 3 years remaining on his contract. If he was such a prized commodity why wouldn't a team have drafted him in the 1st or 2nd round last year?

I'm pretty sure the 3yrs of Mallett's contract is still a lower price tag per year than the QBs drafted in round 1 got.

He wasn't drafted earlier because of character concerns, his interview at the combine didnt do him any favors, but since he hasn't demonstrated Pacman Jones type behavior and he's been learning from BB and TFB, I'd say he's a relatively safe risk at this point.

Here's the big question: if you're a GM and your job depends on winning X number of games next season, do you have a better chance of keeping your job with Mallet as your QB or with one of the available QBs in the 1st round this year?

because of the todd mcshay hatchet job. He had one public intox in his career and gets lableled a terrorist when jimmy smith goes to the ravens with an assault record in the 1st round

You make a reasonable point re Mallett but how's this for rationale:

Cleveland pick RGIII which leaves the Redskins and Dolphins GM's with a choice. Do they pick Landry Jones, Tannehill or Brandon Weeden with their first or second round picks? One has talent but has had the yips this year, one has played less games than I've had meaningful relationships and one uses his zimmer frame to play in a system offense. Then they get a telephone from BB. "We've got this QB we're willing to trade you. Everyone acknowledges that he's got first round talent, he played three years in a pro style passing offense and he's spent a year on one of the best passing NFL teams in history. Oh and BTW, he's been learning from me and TFB and he's cheaper than those other options you were thinking of drafting".

The question is, does that GM say no thanks and then either picks one of those unproven QB's in the first, waits to the second whilst teams like the Bears and Texans, who are now realising the benefit of a decent backup, get their first shot at those QB's or even use valuable draft resources to trade back up into the first to get an experienced QB with question marks?

There's lots of ifs in this hypothetical, but it's not all that illogical that an NFL GM would see the value in an already talented QB already one year up the NFL career ladder.

Did that persuade you?

:)

Good question and lets use some common sense and show the value.
1. Mallet was 1st round value to being with last year so the ability is there.
2. One year of experience behind one of the 5 best quarterbacks to ever play the game and has learned how to play the position.
3. Disciplined by a future hall of fame coach who gets rid of players not willing to play by his rules which means he is coachable.
4. His so called drinking and pot smoking isues in college were in college. Bill Belicheck would not accept problems like that if they continued.
5. Luck will be gone, Barkley isn't available and Landry may also be staying. Even if Landry stays, how many Oklahoma quarterbacks have ever been good NFL quarterbacks...0

Listen GM, he has the talent, already football ready, has learned the discipline and be being mentored by the winningest coach and quarterback tandem in the HISTORY of the NFL. In fact, they reached that number in 35 less games than Marino and Shula.

Right now, we are grooming Mallett to become the future quarterback of the New England Patriots, I want a minimum 1st round pick or we are wasting time even talking about it.

Last edited:
Good question and lets use some common sense and show the value.
1. Mallet was 1st round value to being with last year so the ability is there.
2. One year of experience behind one of the 5 best quarterbacks to ever play the game and has learned how to play the position.
3. Disciplined by a future hall of fame coach who gets rid of players not willing to play by his rules which means he is coachable.
4. His so called drinking and pot smoking isues in college were in college. Bill Belicheck would not accept problems like that if they continued.
5. Luck will be gone, Barkley isn't available and Landry may also be staying. Even if Landry stays, how many Oklahoma quarterbacks have ever been good NFL quarterbacks...0

Listen GM, he has the talent, already football ready, has learned the discipline and be being mentored by the winningest coach and quarterback tandem in the HISTORY of the NFL. In fact, they reached that number in 35 less games than Marino and Shula.

Right now, we are grooming Mallett to become the future quarterback of the New England Patriots, I want a minimum 1st round pick or we are wasting time even talking about it.

I still think maybe you are smoking pot, nothing wrong with it, whatever gets your rocks off. Mallett is nothing, he has no trade value. Until he plays, which we all hope is never he is a kid with a $1,000,000 body and a 10 cent mind. Patriot koolaid has him propped up a league MVP. If he was on any other roster I think the valuations would be less glowing.

As far as being Brandy's heir, their is not future, once BB and Brady are gone it is back to reality. Cold hard reality.

Getting back to the original question, how much is Hoyer worth?

I would say not much unless he shows the league a little more. Since Hoyer is a RFA, he becomes a more pressing issue than Mallett. A successful cameo this week against Buffalo would go a long way towards convincing teams that Hoyer can run the show somewhere else. Without that, I can't see a GM convincing fans and owner that Brian Hoyer is the answer to their playoff or Super Bowl aspirations. No slight to Hoyer, it is just a hard sell, IMO.

If Hoyer is able to show a little skill and game management this week I could see him being dealt (sign and trade). A reasonable asking price may be for a 5th and/or 6th this year (recouping the lost ocho/haynesworth/white picks) plus a conditional 2nd in 2013. The 2nd could be bumped up to a 1st if Hoyer meets some reasonably high benchmark, say 20 TD passes.

Now, on to Mallett. I think he could represent some serious value...down the road. Let him be the next man up if something happens to Brady. In my view, without Brady we aren't going anywhere. In that event, Mallett could be showcased for lucre...a 1st, plus. I predict that in this scenario, Mallett makes a couple of nifty deep out passes, long balls and rockets that will make GMs cream themselves. They will overlook the mental errors and lack of touch on his passes and, as a result will figure "these things are correctible" and overpay. Franchise QBs are so hard to come by that it will be worth their risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey