PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Co*ts fans think of the Branch trade . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A few thoughts from the thread on indystar.com:

If I were a Pats fan I'd be ecstatic getting a #1 (even a probable very late #1)...last year we couldn't even get a #2 for Edge nor could Seattle for Alexander. I'd still rather have Branch playing on my team without the contract squabble, though (I realize this wasn't an option). Branch is a known quantity, late 1st rounders are sometimes called Rob Morris.

[WR is] the weakest link on the team right now. The main thing is the distraction is over and they got something decent for a player that arguably wasn't going to play for them this year.

It will obviously hurt them this year, but Branch wasn't going to be a Pat after this year anyway. I can't believe the Pats got a first round pick for him. Unreal. Great move by the Patriots.

He's not worth a #1, but more power to the Pats for getting it. Makes as much sense as the Vikes handing the Cowboys all those Super Bowls for Herschel Walker.

I see it this way, the Pats got 2 OK years and 2 good years from a player that out played his rookie contract and then got him traded for a 1st round pick. That sounds like a good way to run a NFL team.

And proving that even Colts fans aren't wrong about everything :D
Can't we just all agree that the Squealers suck and then move on?

Last edited:
Thanks, I needed that. LOL

A lot of Indy fans are still brainless. Even if there are some remotely inteligent ones in the bunch.

Apparently, The Twig wasn't striking fear in the hearts of Colts fans.

The move will hurt in the short run, but the players will get over it, the coaches and front office will fill the hole, and next year, when the Patriots are adding another two starting quality rookies to the defense in the first round, and rebuilding the depth for the long run, shipping Branch out will look great. That's all that needs to be said.

If I were a Pats fan I'd be ecstatic getting a #1 (even a probable very late #1)...last year we couldn't even get a #2 for Edge nor could Seattle for Alexander. I'd still rather have Branch playing on my team without the contract squabble, though (I realize this wasn't an option). Branch is a known quantity, late 1st rounders are sometimes called Rob Morris.

Maybe in Indy. In New England they are Logan Mankins and Ben Watson, 2 big contributors to the Pats.

Willie55 said:
Maybe in Indy. In New England they are Logan Mankins and Ben Watson, 2 big contributors to the Pats.
That brought a big grin! :rocker:

And if we feel like a little fantasy, #21 Wilfork & Maroney...

Willie55 said:
Yeah, I'm with Box... Beautiful line Willie! :D

I find the value of draft picks a little mysterious when compared to know commodities. Randomly I picked 2003 to be recent but have a few years to have allowed players to get established. Here are the last 10 of the first round. How many would you trade for Deion Branch?

23 Buffalo WILLIS MCGAHEE
24 Indianapolis DALLAS CLARK
25 New York WILLIAM JOSEPH
26 San Francisco KWAME HARRIS
27 Kansas City LARRY JOHNSON
28 Tennessee ANDRE WOOLFOLK
29 Green Bay NICK BARNETT
30 San Diego SAMMY DAVIS
31 Oakland NNAMDI ASOMUGHA
32 Oakland TYLER BRAYTON

I also realize there are other factors -- BB has had good success with high picks, and there's a difference between having a guy locked up for several years.

I am NOT saying that the Pats should not have made the deal. Branch was not likely to give them much of anything, and both sides seemed dug in. but to think this was some great deal ... I'm not so sure.

onegameatatime said:
I find the value of draft picks a little mysterious when compared to know commodities. Randomly I picked 2003 to be recent but have a few years to have allowed players to get established. Here are the last 10 of the first round. How many would you trade for Deion Branch?

30 San Diego SAMMY DAVIS
32 Oakland TYLER BRAYTON

I also realize there are other factors -- BB has had good success with high picks, and there's a difference between having a guy locked up for several years.

I am NOT saying that the Pats should not have made the deal. Branch was not likely to give them much of anything, and both sides seemed dug in. but to think this was some great deal ... I'm not so sure.
Out of curiousity, what are the 1st round records of those GMs vs BB/SP?

That would be a lot of digging and I am working late, not retired.

I acknowledged that BB has been good overall with the picks, although Bethel was a second rounder, as was Marquise Hill.

onegameatatime said:
That would be a lot of digging and I am working late, not retired.

I acknowledged that BB has been good overall with the picks, although Bethel was a second rounder, as was Marquise Hill.
I acknowledge that second round picks have been more problematic, still, could be worse. A tip of my ensure to a working man, work was mostly fun up to the end, but those final miserable years really made me appreciate one boss who sheds on everything. :cool:

Humm out of that list Barnett, McGahee, and Larry Johnson. I don't know enough about the others to say whether I'd trade for em.

Anyways don't forget we drafted Branch for a 2nd and traded him up for a 1st. Nice pick upgrade considering we got 4 years of service and 2 superbowl wins out of him.

Course I'd love to still have him but the way he and his agent were acting there was no way it was going to happen so I'd rather have the 1st round pick and move on.

onegameatatime said:

30 San Diego SAMMY DAVIS
32 Oakland TYLER BRAYTON

Well, if you are talking about the odds of getting a solid starting player even in the top half of the first round, you have a really excellent point. Over 50% of first rounders do not become solid starters, so getting a known commodity is a clear win versus the risk of the first round.

In the case of Branch, you do have to be a little careful because you have to take into account his injury history. That tips the scales back to being a little problematic.

However, when you look at the Patriots use of first round picks, they really put high high high emphasis on getting a sure starter as opposed to taking a risk on a player who could be a little more of a star - but could also be a bust. So for the Patriots this is an almost certain lock to pay off with a solid starter. The value is discounted a little bit because it IS a pick for next year and they don't get the services of a top player this year. But as to first round picks of Belichick and Pioli, here are all of them:

Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork
Laurence Maroney
Dan Graham
Benjamin Watson
Logan Mankins

Now that's impressive. I think you should expect this first round pick to be significant for the Patriots.

arrellbee said:
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork
Laurence Maroney
Dan Graham
Benjamin Watson
Logan Mankins

That's right, not a bad apple in the bunch. All of them are high quality starters. The biggest disappointment has been Graham, who started as a rookie and may be the best blocking TE in the NFL, or Watson, who had two injury filled years before coming on as a real weapon this year.

Another factor that no one has mentioned, is the fact that having TWO first rounders adds a dimension of flexibility in the draft that is very rare, namely the ability to move up... substantially up, in fact, without sacrificing the entire draft class. Even if the picks turn out to be #31 and #32, we can easily trade into the top-15. If we hope for #20 and #32, that would put us at #8 overall.

Why's that important? Because I think BB has been waiting for years to draft the next Lawrence Taylor, and he's willing to be patient. If he thinks there's a player in the draft that's worth a top-10 pick, a historic player (like Seymour, actually), then he has the ammunition to make the move.

In the past, BB has been forced to sit and wait for someone to drop to him. In 2007, he'll be in a far more powerful draft position. The key is degrees of freedom. Seattle's pick opens up almost the entire first round for draft consideration.

rookBoston said:
Why's that important? Because I think BB has been waiting for years to draft the next Lawrence Taylor, and he's willing to be patient. If he thinks there's a player in the draft that's worth a top-10 pick, a historic player (like Seymour, actually), then he has the ammunition to make the move.

If that was true, he would have traded up to get Merriman last year. I can't imagine BB trading two first round picks to get one. I can easily see him trading one of the firsts for a second and two thirds.

As far as the original list posted, put coaching and system into the equation. Nick Barnett would be a very good player here. Obviously Larry Johnson is a beast, as is McGahee. Dallas Clark, Andre Woolfork, and Sammy Davis probably also would have suceeded here. Flip side is that if Branch were drafted by the Texans, I'm not sure he'd still be in the league.

True, we are stacked in the draft next year. Wait for the compensatories to hit.... BB is going to be very busy on draft day.

I think most fans recognize Branch as a solid #2 and are amazed anyone gave up a first round pick and paid him the amount they did. Seattle looks desperate and almost "all or nothing" with this one. Pats will look good on draft day with this deal.

Jacky Roberts said:
I think most fans recognize Branch as a solid #2 and are amazed anyone gave up a first round pick and paid him the amount they did. Seattle looks desperate and almost "all or nothing" with this one. Pats will look good on draft day with this deal.

Seattle receiver core was a bit shakey before the trade. After the trade it should solidify them as NFC favorites again. More than desperation, I see this as a move to grab a championship while you can. One of those "final piece to the puzzle" type moves. It will probably work out well for both teams.

Anyone been cruising the Seahawk boards to see what they are saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back