PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Co*ts fans think of the Branch trade . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
workhorse said:
Seattle receiver core was a bit shakey before the trade. After the trade it should solidify them as NFC favorites again. More than desperation, I see this as a move to grab a championship while you can. One of those "final piece to the puzzle" type moves. It will probably work out well for both teams.

Maybe, but Seattle should focus on defense if they think they can beat an AFC team in February.

dryheat44 said:
If that was true, he would have traded up to get Merriman last year. I can't imagine BB trading two first round picks to get one. I can easily see him trading one of the firsts for a second and two thirds.

As far as the original list posted, put coaching and system into the equation. Nick Barnett would be a very good player here. Obviously Larry Johnson is a beast, as is McGahee. Dallas Clark, Andre Woolfork, and Sammy Davis probably also would have suceeded here. Flip side is that if Branch were drafted by the Texans, I'm not sure he'd still be in the league.
Speaking of picks and trades, after the season ends, when can teams start off-season trades? What ILB has BB coveted, and could a trade be worked out to get him under Bruschi's wing as early as possible?

Lance Briggs lb Chicago. He's a free agent after this year. 6'1" 240LB.
PFW preview thinks he might be better inside than out. Sounds like a
perfect replacement for Junior Seau. LB seems like the one position
where we don't like to draft/develop players. We want the finished
product. Find out what they're good at and maximize their strengths.

Worst case scenario--#31 & #32 pick = 1190 pts on the Draft Pick Value Chart
#12 = 1200 pts

Last edited:
patsfaninpa said:
At worst, the Chicago Bears will franchise him for at least one season.

dryheat44 said:
If that was true, he would have traded up to get Merriman last year.

Well, that's my whole point. Last year, he didn't have the ammunition to move up for Merriman... or for Demarcus Ware, for that matter.

BB had #32 (Mankins) and #64... that would have gotten him as high as #20 overall. Merriman went #12 and Ware went at #11. We weren't even close to competitive for a player of that calibre.

If there is another Merriman in the 2007 draft, even if we're drafting at #32, we can still make a play for him.

patsfaninpa said:

Since BB's actions would make you think he sees what people says and does the opposite (not that I really believe that), I'm looking for him to daft a QB.

onegameatatime said:
Since BB's actions would make you think he sees what people says and does the opposite (not that I really believe that), I'm looking for him to daft a QB.
Naw, Belichick will draft a tight end with one of the two first round draft picks next year!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Speaking of picks and trades, after the season ends, when can teams start off-season trades? What ILB has BB coveted, and could a trade be worked out to get him under Bruschi's wing as early as possible?
Forget about trading either first round draft pick:

Name: Paul Williams
College: Fresno State Number: 1
Height: 6-2 Weight: 205
Position: WR Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.41 40 High: 4.52
Projected Round: 1-2 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 277 WR's

Extremely talented player who had a huge spring and should factor immensely into the Bulldogs' offensive scheme this year ... Pat Hill termed Williams' spring as "one of the best I've seen since I've been here" ... Williams' talents have been described as "freakish" by Hill ... has been primarily a strong performer on special teams thus far in his career ... owns exceptional speed despite his large size (6-2, 200) ... the type of receiver who can go up and get "jump ball"-type passes deep in the corners of the end zone.

ATippett56 said:
Forget about trading either first round draft pick:

Name: Paul Williams
College: Fresno State Number: 1
Height: 6-2 Weight: 205
Position: WR Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.41 40 High: 4.52
Projected Round: 1-2 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 277 WR's

Extremely talented player who had a huge spring and should factor immensely into the Bulldogs' offensive scheme this year ... Pat Hill termed Williams' spring as "one of the best I've seen since I've been here" ... Williams' talents have been described as "freakish" by Hill ... has been primarily a strong performer on special teams thus far in his career ... owns exceptional speed despite his large size (6-2, 200) ... the type of receiver who can go up and get "jump ball"-type passes deep in the corners of the end zone.
Oh no, I want the Center; Mankins and his twin brother (Pat Hill cloned him) inside together opening holes for Maroney - sweet!

rookBoston said:
Well, that's my whole point. Last year, he didn't have the ammunition to move up for Merriman... or for Demarcus Ware, for that matter.

BB had #32 (Mankins) and #64... that would have gotten him as high as #20 overall. Merriman went #12 and Ware went at #11. We weren't even close to competitive for a player of that calibre.

If there is another Merriman in the 2007 draft, even if we're drafting at #32, we can still make a play for him.

Discounting future year's picks, you're right. But BB could just as easily used number one picks in 2005 and 2006 to move up, which probably would have gotten the job done. I just don't think BB would give up so much to get a rookie. Even Lawrence Taylor. In hindsight, LT would have been worth it, but in his draft year, I'm not sure if anybody would have mortgaged the farm to trade up and get the unproven. That's a Mike Ditka move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case