PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker 3/06 rumor of the day: Will go to Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure the Broncos will make a huge push for Welker. Manning doesn't have the long deep ball anymore, a shorter passing game lead by Welker would pretty much make Manning and the Broncos very happy people.

They are already making some cuts and asking for players to redo their contracts. Could they be trying to make room for a run at Welker?? I would pretty much bet they are and I would expect them to have a great SB chance this coming season should they get Welker.

As a Patriots fan, this would be horrible. I would rather see him go to the Jets then Manning and the Broncos!

Does Manning already have a slot receiver who's decent? Does Peyton feel comfortable with that receiver? Would Welker at >$8M/year be that much of an improvement vs other uses for that $?

Wallace isn't coming here...MIA is about to pay him loads of $$.

And i would expect this place to be doom and gloom. if it's true we are taking a step back on the O side of the ball. yeah we may sign ammendola..but he will be injured at some point as usual. and then lloyd might not be back.

What's worse..our WR situation if welker goes or our DBs

If Welker does leave it'll suck and definitely be a downgrade but we could take it as a positive, we'd have 8-9 million to spend elsewhere. Too bad Wallace and Jennings want insane money.

I'd rather draft Swope in the 3rd then pay/rely on Edelman or Amendola.

I already debunked Law,Thomas,Mankins and Wilfork in a prior post. Mayo, Gronk and Hernandez signed early extensions at team-friendly rates which was good for them. Guaranteed money is what every NFL player should get as much of as soon as possible. But, none of them will make under their current contracts what they would have made if they had played out their rookie contracts and hit free agency in good health.

I could not agree more that you can't pay everyone what they want. But, if you have the money to pay Chad Ochostinko $5 million, than you have enough money to pay Wes Welker a million or so a year more than YOUR value says you should.

It's pig-headedness at it's worse, and when the history of the Brady-Belichick
era is written, we'll all know it was one big reason the Pats left so many championships on the table during it.

This post is ludicris on so many levels.

You seem to think that the Patriots should be given open market deals to every player who comes to them 2 years early for a restructure? This is crazy.

And the notion that Championships were left on the table because of the way BB does business is evan more crazy. There is no guarentee that an all in approach at any time since 04 would have resulted in a title but there is plenty of evidence that supports the "pig-headedness" has allowed them to continue to compete up until now and for the near and distant futures. Belichick has won 5 AFC Championships with this approach he is doing something right.

I think we all know what you are pointing most at which is the 06 year in which we made the AFC championship with Caldwell and Gafney as the top WRs. So lets just assume that the Pats caved and gave Branch everything he wanted that year. It may or may not have been enough to get us past the Colts but it very likely would have taken us off the market for a WR the following year and we would likely have not got one or both of Moss and Wes. This one move alone could have had a ripple effect stopping 07 from ever happening or at least the way it did. Might this have led to a different team build that could have turned into a SB its possible but this is only one move too you are not just knocking the one move but the whole philosphy and it has been proven time and time again that you can not have sustained success in the NFL if you are overpaying free agents it will catch up to you as it does everyone (Jets being the most recent example).

Jimke said:
This is shaping up as one of those years where the Patriots take a major step backwards. This will occur if they lose most (if not all) of their good
free agents and replace them with second rate players. Another lost
year for Brady?

Another lost year? Major step backwards? Please point me to any year that would really be considered a lost year?

They have not had a losing season in over a decade? The replaced some good free agents and a trade in Branch with "second rate players" and were up by three scores in the AFC Championship game.

One and done in 09 and 10 are their worst years without Brady since 2002 and they were still really good years in their own right.

Look there is more than one way to skin a cat and you are right in your decision than either method will be fine but if you are wrong one leaves you hamstrung while the other leaves you being able to make up for the mistake. Using the Branch situation one more time had we overpayed and he preformed the same as in seatle than we would be really hurt by that but the mistake of letting him go was quickly fixed by getting Moss and Wes the following offseason.

I'd rather draft Swope in the 3rd then pay/rely on Edelman or Amendola.

Edelman, Amendola, and hernandez....one or more will miss a few games this year. Need either a good outside WR with welker gone to make up for it..or another great slot guy.

As long as he doesn't sign with the Broncos

As long as he doesn't sign with the Broncos

As I pointed out on the second page of the thread, the teams with the cap room and the talent to make a serious run are the Bengals and the Colts. The Donkeys would need to have players restructure just to fit him in under the cap and sign their rookies, let alone anything else.

Does Manning already have a slot receiver who's decent? Does Peyton feel comfortable with that receiver? Would Welker at >$8M/year be that much of an improvement vs other uses for that $?

Mannings arm is shot, they are moving the offense to a two slot receiver, short ball offense. :)

If they let Welker walk and pick up a mid to deep threat and draft Tavon Austin then I would be okay with seeing Welker go somewhere else.

Wes Welker(32 at start of season) 118 catches 1354yds 6 tds
Brandon Stokley (37 at start of season) 45 catches 544 yards 5tds
Comparing these two is a joke.

I don't blame Wes get as much money as you can.

Exactly how do you know that?

How do you explain all those midnight signings like Nate Burleson? I'm sure they drew those contracts up in 5 minutes...

and lets not forget that when Cassel has a competent coach calling the plays he can put up really good numbers.

I dont think welker is a 100 catch player once he leaves the pats, and i think any team that pays him anything more then 8mil a year is overpaying.

As I've shown before, there are more than 10 teams Welker could go to and continue to put up 100+ catch seasons.

Stokley's played 2 full seasons out of 14, and he's going to be 37. He was only on a one year deal for small change, as well. Denver could also sign both, and use Stokley as a backup.

god if he goes and lloyd is in the dog house...we are screwed

I don't want ammendola..he will miss 4-5 games with some type of injury....ugh

Wallace isn't coming here...MIA is about to pay him loads of $$.

And i would expect this place to be doom and gloom. if it's true we are taking a step back on the O side of the ball. yeah we may sign ammendola..but he will be injured at some point as usual. and then lloyd might not be back.

What's worse..our WR situation if welker goes or our DBs

Edelman, Amendola, and hernandez....one or more will miss a few games this year. Need either a good outside WR with welker gone to make up for it..or another great slot guy.

What's your point?

This will either help the pats extremely, or badly. And I have a feeling whatever happens, will help us out.

Food for thought—using this page: » Over the Cap- NFL Salary Cap Space 2013

Here are the teams with at least $8M in cap room (in descending order):
Browns $46.6M
Bengals $45.3M
Colts $43.5M
Dolphins $36.6M
Buccaneers $32.9M
Eagles $32.4M
Jaguars $26.6M
Patriots $25.4M
Falcons $21.6M
Packers $20.6M
Bills $19.9M
Titans $18.9M
Seahawks $17.1M
Vikings $15.0M
Ravens $11.5M
Lions $9.4M
Broncos $9.2M
JEST $8.2M

This doesn't take into account the money needed to sign rookies, or the total number of players signed. While we don't know how much he's looking for, we do know that he wants to play for a contender. So that basically, in my mind, leaves either the Bengals or the Colts as the most likely culprits if he walks.

If he leaves, this where I see him going. Colts $43.5M

If he leaves, this where I see him going. Colts $43.5M

I think the Colts are a possibility but could also see the Dolphins getting in on him. Lots of cap room available. While all the reports are saying they are after Jennings or Wallace, getting Welker would give Tannehill a tough, durable receiver he can depend on while (most importantly) taking away your rival's top weapon.

Welker a ring in your future is with a patriots uniform. Does more money feel better than a Super Bowl ring? this will determine where he goes.

Welker a ring in your future is with a patriots uniform. Does more money feel better than a Super Bowl ring? this will determine where he goes.

when you are done with your job in 5 years..you want to make sure you are set and paid for what you HAVE done

Right.
It's not like dink & dunk got us 3 Lombardis or anything

that's a ridiculous statement....the league was different back then. like most people on here you are living in the past. another year without a super bowl and it will be about a decade since the last one. that's like the rams talking about their 1999 super bowl.....

if you want to go dink and dunk you better have a shut down defense like 03/04, which this team doesn't have and won't have in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST