PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker 3/06 rumor of the day: Will go to Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
whatever ... many ways to skin a cat as they say ... not sure why anyone would lose sleep over Welker.

whatever ... many ways to skin a cat as they say ... not sure why anyone would lose sleep over Welker.

amendola could get a 100 receptions in this offense and is much cheaper. plus edelman can step into welker's role and get 70-80 catches. and tavon austin is an option but he's likely going to be gone by the 29th pick.

:confused2:

Surprisingly, some people actually watch football and understand how good he is.

Surprisingly, some people actually watch football and understand how good he is.

Brady makes him good. Not the other way around.

amendola could get a 100 receptions in this offense and is much cheaper. plus edelman can step into welker's role and get 70-80 catches. and tavon austin is an option but he's likely going to be gone by the 29th pick.

Assuming Welker get signed to another team, there is NO guarantee that Amendola will sign with Patriots.

So, if Patriots lose Welker and cannot sign Amendola, Patriots will be in a pickle....

Would it surprise you to find out that Wes Welker has more career receptions than NFL Hall of Famers Marshall Faulk, Michael Irvin, James Lofton, Charlie Joiner? Welker has more career receptions than Larry Fitzgerald.

When all is said and done, you're looking at a Hall of Fame receiver.

Brady makes him good. Not the other way around.

Given that he rang up 111 catches in 2008, you're talking nonsense, again.

so aren't many NFL players ... as I recall we won 3 Super Bowls with defense.

We haven't won any with a super offense ... not yet.

Yes there are many ways to skin a cat.

Would it surprise you to find out that Wes Welker has more career receptions than NFL Hall of Famers Marshall Faulk, Michael Irvin, James Lofton, Charlie Joiner? Welker has more career receptions than Larry Fitzgerald.

that has no rings ... so what ... him and Dan Marino.

Defense wins Super Bowls ... rather spend the money on defense.

surprisingly I could go back and show you all your old posts where you thought you had a clue ... and you didn't. You're the Glenn Ordway of the forum ... your tune changes to fit the current team after you see which direction Belichick chooses to go. won 3 super bowls without Welker ... we can win another with him and we can win another without him. I remember when you were defending meriweather and bashing Samuel.

Last edited:
Nobody spews more foolishness than you. 111 catches because Tom Brady was the QB.

You make my point! Fool.

I love how people act like 2008 didn't happen. Welker would be a pro bowler still on most teams. What kind of system makes you a perfect route runner with decent hands and hard to tackle?

Nobody spews more foolishness than you. 111 catches because Tom Brady was the QB.

You make my point! Fool.

I didn't know Tom Brady was playing in 2008.

surprisingly I could go back and show you all your old posts where you thought you had a clue ... and you didn't.

Everyone makes mistakes.

You're the Glenn Ordway of the forum ... your tune changes to fit the current team after you see which direction Belichick chooses to go.

You obviously have me confused with someone else, since that's just about the opposite of what I do.

won 3 super bowls without Welker ... we can win another with him and we can win another without him. I remember when you were defending meriweather and bashing Samuel.

Again, you seem to have me confused with someone else. I've been consistent on both of those players. Meriweather was a multi-time Pro Bowl player who, despite his issues, was a better safety than what the team had left when he and Sanders got cut, while Samuel was a good CB who was not a top 10 guy, was better in zone, didn't like to tackle, and took a lot of chances when he thought he had a shot at an INT.

Assuming Welker get signed to another team, there is NO guarantee that Amendola will sign with Patriots.

So, if Patriots lose Welker and cannot sign Amendola, Patriots will be in a pickle....

Not necessarily. Edelman could provide 70% of what welker did. The offense may take a hit but if they can use the savings in good defensive players they would be better off. Problem is everyone is acting like welker is the number 1 priority, but vollmer and talib are more important imo.

Not necessarily. Edelman could provide 70% of what welker did. The offense may take a hit but if they can use the savings in good defensive players they would be better off. Problem is everyone is acting like welker is the number 1 priority, but vollmer and talib are more important imo.

Julian Edelman's career high in receiving yards is 359...in 2009

So you expect us to believe he can be relied upon to essentially triple that total, despite his inability to be consistent or stay healthy up to this point?

What could possibly go wrong??

I would never deny that Welker would be a great fit with the Broncos. He'd be a significant upgrade to Stockley and help Manning as he devolves into a true dink and dunk QB at the end of his career. BUT here's the problem. It would work fine as a one year rental, but clearly that not what Welker is looking for. He could have that here. The problem for Denver is how you pay Welker the kind of big money long term deal he wants knowing that you'll have to exceed that deal for DThomas in 2014, as well as coming close to it for Decker the same year.

No team would be wise to invest over $25MM/yr in WR's,especially when you have already paying your QB more than $21MM and your LT elite money. It might look like Wes would be an easy fit in Denver, but the reality is a lot more complex

Faulk has 1 less reception than Welker, but 2817 more runs from scrimmage.

Lofton was top 10 in yardage 8 times - twice that of Welker. Different era.

When it's all said and done I'll think about Welker in those terms.

Right now, the way to think about him is:

1. Will his next 5 seasons fit within his last 6 years? If anyone says yes, they are inflating reality. Please take a look at the careers of small WR's past the age of 32, and find me one that's as productive from 33-37 as 28-32? Can he do it for 3 years? Maybe.

2. Do I want to give him a 5 year $40M contract with $25M guaranteed - because of all he has sacrificed? No. $40M with $15M guaranteed is more like it - that will allow the Pats to move on after 2-3-4 years if needed and still get Welker a nice nest egg.

The Pats didn't get or stay competitive almost every year by handing out contracts based on sentiment. Welker isn't special enough to break the rules for, just look at the deadly drops the last two years to confirm that.

Julian Edelman's career high in receiving yards is 359...in 2009

So you expect us to believe he can be relied upon to essentially triple that total, despite his inability to be consistent or stay healthy up to this point?

What could possibly go wrong??

Edelman and AH and cheaper FA or draft choice could carry the load and have money left to spare.

If the Pats want high end, then there is always Cruz who I would pay more than Welker on a 5 year deal in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back