PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will match up with Broncos' slot receiver Wes Welker at Gillette in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Time to move on, ladies and gentlemen.

The most anticipated game of 2013 will be the Denver Broncos at Gillette. The game within the game will be who will line up opposite Broncos' slot receiver Wes Welker.

Geez, I thought Kyle Arrington would be the slot corner making for an interesting matchup, but he's unsigned, and per Curran has interest from four teams, Free agent Arrington contacted by four teams | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com.

Maybe they'll rotate Alfonzo Dennard on Welker to get physical with him and throw him off his routes, but there is that little issue that he might be an involuntary guest of the great state of Nebraska.

Well, there's always Aquib Talib who has the cover skills to clamp down on Welker and take him away from Peyton Manning, but he's unsigned, too. Even if he is signed, will he even make it into the game with his tight hammies and tendency towards gun play whenever he goes home?

That leaves Ras-I Dowling and TCU Horned Frog Malcolm Williams as the only cornerbacks left to cover Welker. Dowling would be great if he suits up, and Malcom Williams had a 40" vertical leap at his Pro day on 2011, so maybe if Manning flutters a couple up there, that could work out, too.

Welker's gotta be licking his chops in anticipation of his return to Foxboro.

Bernard Pollard.

I think Welker puts up huge numbers in that game. Who defends him? Dennard is my guess.

Yes, we need cornerbacks....can we revisit this question after training camp?

Kind of a pointless question, given we haven't a clue who will be lining up at CB for the Patriots next season.

But I guess I'll go on a limb and say Brandon Spikes.

Big Vince.

I guess it would be whoever we would had covering Stokley, just like the last time we played and beat them. It's not that difficult.

More worried about D. Thomas. And I would imagine the same goes for BB.

Would hate to see Rasi try, probably would break his ankles on Wes' first cut and that'd be his season.

Julian Edelman.

Joking.

Wouldn't it be helpful to know who's on the roster at that point first? Of our starting 3 CBs last year, 2 are FAs and 1 is awaiting a potential jail sentence.

Amendola will do it.

A better question would be who will be able to successfully cover Welker?
The answer is no one. Welker will catch passes at will and the Broncos will wallop the Patriots. I expect Welker will be wearing two Superbowl rings
when his contract is up.

OK! so we lose that game but still go 15-1 in the regular season, because lets face it as per some of the fans on this board our D is capable of covering every other player in the NFL except WW

The answer is no one. Welker will catch passes at will and the Broncos will wallop the Patriots. I expect Welker will be wearing two Superbowl rings
when his contract is up.

Pretty much how i see it, i would have given him 3 million a year simply to keep him away from Manning. The Patriots better score 50 because they aren't going to get the Broncos off the field. Dumbest move in Patriots history.

when his contract is up.

Welker has multiple games each season around ~40 yards and we have no idea who will be listed as a CB yet so this whole thread is pointless.

But, there is some strange illusion that Welker can not be covered. (this is in no way a slight of Welker but get real, it's not like he puts up 125 yards in every single game)

Yes, we need cornerbacks....can we revisit this question after training camp?

Thank you. We aren't even close to knowing who is in the Patriots' defensive backfield in 2013, so this is an impossible question to answer.

Welker has multiple games each season around ~40 yards and we have no idea who will be listed as a CB yet so this whole thread is pointless.

But, there is some strange illusion that Welker can not be covered. (this is in no way a slight of Welker but get real, it's not like he puts up 125 yards in every single game)

The problem isn't that he can't be covered. It's that he's been very, very hard to control in single coverage—as I've said before, he won't win many 40-yard races, but he can beat almost anyone in the NFL over the first 5-10. Example: the reason Moss broke Jerry Rice's record in 2007 was that the Giants were desperate to prevent Brady from throwing to Welker for a first down.

Troy Brown ain't walking through that door!

Broncos are going to be close to impossible to get off the field this year. AFC's number 1 seed got the exact tool they needed. The chink in Manning's armor is tendency to throw picks when he's trying to get first downs. Welker targets almost never result in turnovers, and Manning is like 80 percent in completion rate when throwing in the slot.

We are going to need to outscore them. It's that simple. Hope we have the ball last with less than a 7 point deficit.

Let's see who our secondary is come training camp & start of season first then better to address this question. WW will be a tough match-up regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back