PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Austin Ekeler anyone.....as our potential new slot receiver?

Another RB that does not understand his value within the NFL. He is very athletically gifted, so it sucks for him, but it is what it is.
Yes, absolutely agree. When you're not on the field much I don't see how any player especially a RB could possibly think his value is high... I'm sure Wynn for example has gotten a taste of that by now..

Yes, absolutely agree. When you're not on the field much I don't see how any player especially a RB could possibly think his value is high... I'm sure Wynn for example has gotten a taste of that by now..

I wonder if Wynn will get an offer? Not only availability for Wynn, but attitude too. Talented guy.

I wonder if Wynn will get an offer? Not only availability for Wynn, but attitude too. Talented guy.
He probably has gotten offers, I'm sure they had to be far lower than what he was expecting.. yeah he showed promise as a rookie played well... since then it's been a bad combination of attitude and availability.

This is the same theory on why nobody is going after Lamar. It is not wise to both have to overpay and give up draft capital for a player who is coming off injuries. Especially a RB, they literally are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

The Cowboys wrecked themsleves with all that money they paid Elliott. You are better off just drafting a new RB every couple of years. Use him on his rookie contract and then switch to the next one once that contract is done. Exactly what BB did by replacing Harris with Stephenson.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see BB take another RB any time after round 2 to replace Stephenson in a few years.

This is the same theory on why nobody is going after Lamar. It is not wise to both have to overpay and give up draft capital for a player who is coming off injuries. Especially a RB, they literally are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

The Cowboys wrecked themsleves with all that money they paid Elliott. You are better off just drafting a new RB every couple of years. Use him on his rookie contract and then switch to the next one once that contract is done. Exactly what BB did by replacing Harris with Stephenson.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see BB take another RB any time after round 2 to replace Stephenson in a few years.
I believe with Lamar, the owners are making a stance not to be the team who pays record breaking guarantees for a QB.. so yeah injury concerns as you stated also factors in heavily.

On RBs absolutely correct.. going forward you won't see the types of guarantees that zeke got a few years ago.. we have a nice young stable of backs.. BB is maximizing rham while on his rookie deal.. that's why I'm enjoying him now becuase I know it's likely he won't get a 2nd contract here. Saquon Barkley as it was reported was shocked he got franchised... he missed 2 seasons with injuries.

No sense in paying top dollar for a RB because their time at the top is so brief. Stevenson could have another top 5 season and I’d rather them let him walk than give him 3-4 years at near top of the market price

No sense in paying top dollar for a RB because their time at the top is so brief. Stevenson could have another top 5 season and I’d rather them let him walk than give him 3-4 years at near top of the market price
Yes, exactly right ✅️.. that Is why we need to enjoy watching rham play now on his rookie deal!

@One-If-By-Sea

I don't hear or see much mention that we have one of the best all around backs in the league in Rham.. for large parts of last season he was the offense.. the guy has power, agility and excellent vision as a back.. he is a guy DCs will key in on wich is great.. they can crowd the line of scrimmage, and everything underneath juju & gisecki can eat up.

@One-If-By-Sea

I don't hear or see much mention that we have one of the best all around backs in the league in Rham.. for large parts of last season he was the offense.. the guy has power, agility and excellent vision as a back.. he is a guy DCs will key in on wich is great.. they can crowd the line of scrimmage, and everything underneath juju & gisecki can eat up.

I agree. Rham is a beast - that is why I couldn't care less about Bijan in the draft, the guy is too small compared to someone like Rham. But Rham can't play all the time, so a 3rd down back would be great to spell Rham a rest. Hopefully Robinson is fully back from his injury, he is a power runner and great at catching the ball. Robinson is not like James White who would split into a WR, but he is a more powerful runner so more of a two way threat, if he has recovered. I assume they worked out Robinson and he looks good, but there is no way to know until pre-season. And Strong is a home run threat, I assume he will be playing in Y2. If Robinson is healthy we are all set at RB. Maybe a guy in R4 or R6, I would prefer R6.

@One-If-By-Sea

Good morning.......Oh yeah.... A fruit bowl, Easter ham and eggs, toasted banana bread with butter and jam, OJ and coffee

Points all worth noting Cousin, but the point of the thread was to use Ekeler in the slot as a WR......and a change of pace for Stevenson. Or go back to the 1980's and use a split backfield where either back can shift out and cause confusion. You could have 150 receptions between the pair of them. Remember the long bomb is not a Jones trademark. How do we spread the field?

We lamented when we did not pay Meyers $11mm. I would wager that Ekeler could have more receptions than Meyers and run for over 600 yards as Stevenson's alternate and we can get him for less than $11mm. Is that a fair statement? 18 TDs is not an accident.
DW Toys

I agree. Rham is a beast - that is why I couldn't care less about Bijan in the draft, the guy is too small compared to someone like Rham. But Rham can't play all the time, so a 3rd down back would be great to spell Rham a rest. Hopefully Robinson is fully back from his injury, he is a power runner and great at catching the ball. Robinson is not like James White who would split into a WR, but he is a more powerful runner so more of a two way threat, if he has recovered. I assume they worked out Robinson and he looks good, but there is no way to know until pre-season. And Strong is a home run threat, I assume he will be playing in Y2. If Robinson is healthy we are all set at RB. Maybe a guy in R4 or R6, I would prefer R6.
Absolutely don't forget about k. Harris as well.. these young backs played well in the limited opportunity last season.. the energized the offense at points where it was needed on a drive.. Yes I'd like rhams snaps to be better spread our so he's not worn down last last season.. We've realistically only got his rookie contract to enjoy him I feel personally. The RB position is becoming slowly but surely undervalued. Yes I like the Robinson pick up as well.. power runner... we also have ty Montgomery as well.. if he can return to health and contribute as a 3rd down back then we have something! Yeah we don't need to be even looking at any RBs in the 1st round at all.. I'd like to take a WR.. @ 14.

I loved Damien Harris as well great patriots player even better person off the field. However as BB always says availability is the best ability.

Good morning.......Oh yeah.... A fruit bowl, Easter ham and eggs, toasted banana bread with butter and jam, OJ and coffee

Points all worth noting Cousin, but the point of the thread was to use Ekeler in the slot as a WR......and a change of pace for Stevenson. Or go back to the 1980's and use a split backfield where either back can shift out and cause confusion. You could have 150 receptions between the pair of them. Remember the long bomb is not a Jones trademark. How do we spread the field?

We lamented when we did not pay Meyers $11mm. I would wager that Ekeler could have more receptions than Meyers and run for over 600 yards as Stevenson's alternate and we can get him for less than $11mm. Is that a fair statement? 18 TDs is not an accident.
DW Toys
Good morning cousin!! I absolutely positively feel the same way you do on eckler, the thing is he's always put dealing with something. He's a hard runner very quick 1st step and makes people miss.. how we spread the field is Thornton is our deep threat, juju is the YAC ,underneath guy.. in 2 TE sets gisecki is probably more of a threat than HH and I like HH . Bourne is your boundary/ change of pace guy and Parker outside as well.. however yes that number is fair... under 11m he's definitely worth it.. but again RBs they ger worn down so much you need to have a nice rotation and we do so far.

I’m sad we missed out on Berrios watch him eat us when Miami plays us.
Because he destroyed the Patriots so often as a fringe player on the Jets.

When did he destroy the Pats? Berrios destroy the Pats?
Simpsons-sarcasm-detector_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BquYsoiHywuRbpECh2kaughKHxSnsjjYOBMSJiOgQYU2U.jpg

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back