PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will match up with Broncos' slot receiver Wes Welker at Gillette in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter who; Welker is going to have a field day against the Patriots secondary.

I just hope he doesn't do it in the playoffs too.

But, there is some strange illusion that Welker can not be covered. (this is in no way a slight of Welker but get real, it's not like he puts up 125 yards in every single game)

That's right, where did we get that from?

Oh, that's right, Belichick. And the 6 years he was here and breaking Jerry Rices records.

That's right, where did we get that from?

Oh, that's right, Belichick. And the 6 years he was here and breaking Jerry Rices records.

I'm sorry but that is sugar coating it in the worst possible way. He broke Rice's records for receptions catching passes within 10 yards of the LOS.

There are stretches where even Welker would vanish and it wasn't for a lack of looks. (edit: again i'm not trying to downplay what Welker has done as he is already one of the best to ever play in this uniform, but since leaving he's become immortal and unbeatable in an attempt to further bash BB)

Also, I love everyone saying "he'll torch the pats secondary!!!" ..we don't have a secondary under contract currently. We have a lot of money and this might be the best free agent mass of corners ever available at once who are not getting the money they expected.

..the regular season game may also end up being irrelevant and Manning isn't exactly a post-season warrior no matter who is playing for him.

We're facing the AFCN and AFCE twice this year, the AFCN looks to be becoming the new AFC/NFC west with the dismantling of the SB champs roster, the ever irrelevant Browns, and the dysfunctional Steelers ...the Bengals might be taking that division over, it's pathetic.

And, well, the AFCE is the AFCE. We're in the playoffs already and none of us can predict the health of what anyones roster will be come January. Combine that with not knowing who our secondary will consist of and we have one of the most premature threads I've seen.

Re: Re: Who will match up with Broncos' slot receiver Wes Welker at Gillette in 2013?

Welker has multiple games each season around ~40 yards and we have no idea who will be listed as a CB yet so this whole thread is pointless.

But, there is some strange illusion that Welker can not be covered. (this is in no way a slight of Welker but get real, it's not like he puts up 125 yards in every single game)

Yes but those 40 yards are from 9 catches and 7 first downs. Manning will be marching up and down on us all day.

Oh wait...our D's best strength is getting off the field on 3rd down.

Oh wait again....we are ****ed...

Yes but those 40 yards are from 9 catches and 7 first downs. Manning will be marching up and down on us all day.

Oh wait...our D's best strength is getting off the field on 3rd down.

Oh wait again....we are ****ed...

We don't know who will be playing at corner for us yet. Why is it so hard for you to understand that? Are we going into the season with Ras I Dowling and Denard on our roster as the only CBs?

I think I get it now, Welker already has 300 receiving yards that game because the only 2 corners under contract will be covering Decker and Thomas.

One of the things BB has consistently done great as a coach is game planning for specific players. Look at the gameplans against Antonio Gates in SD for example. Dallas Clark in Indy. Nicks and Cruz in the SB. Personally, I might welcome letting Welker eat us up underneath if it means stopping Thomas from scoring every time he touches the ball.

We don't know who will be playing at corner for us yet. Why is it so hard for you to understand that? Are we going into the season with Ras I Dowling and Denard on our roster as the only CBs?

I think I get it now, Welker already has 300 receiving yards that game because the only 2 corners under contract will be covering Decker and Thomas.

One of the things BB has consistently done great as a coach is game planning for specific players. Look at the gameplans against Antonio Gates in SD for example. Dallas Clark in Indy. Nicks and Cruz in the SB. Personally, I might welcome letting Welker eat us up underneath if it means stopping Thomas from scoring every time he touches the ball.

Actually I understand it very well. And btw that was my first comment in this thread. Why are you assuming it is hard for me to understand? I was only inclined to respond because I thought your attempt at using "40 yard games" to downplay the threat of Welker was kind of silly. As Patriots fans we all know why its silly.

Belichick is the one who said he traded for Welker because he had no answer for him.

Arrington or whoever replaces him as nickel back. Dennard and Talib (or his replacement) will have their hands full with Decker and Thomas.

Time to move on, ladies and gentlemen.

The most anticipated game of 2013 will be the Denver Broncos at Gillette. The game within the game will be who will line up opposite Broncos' slot receiver Wes Welker.

Geez, I thought Kyle Arrington would be the slot corner making for an interesting matchup, but he's unsigned, and per Curran has interest from four teams, Free agent Arrington contacted by four teams | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com.

Maybe they'll rotate Alfonzo Dennard on Welker to get physical with him and throw him off his routes, but there is that little issue that he might be an involuntary guest of the great state of Nebraska.

Well, there's always Aquib Talib who has the cover skills to clamp down on Welker and take him away from Peyton Manning, but he's unsigned, too. Even if he is signed, will he even make it into the game with his tight hammies and tendency towards gun play whenever he goes home?

That leaves Ras-I Dowling and TCU Horned Frog Malcolm Williams as the only cornerbacks left to cover Welker. Dowling would be great if he suits up, and Malcom Williams had a 40" vertical leap at his Pro day on 2011, so maybe if Manning flutters a couple up there, that could work out, too.

Welker's gotta be licking his chops in anticipation of his return to Foxboro.

I don't think welker will be a impact. He has to learn the system against stokely. And if welker comes in during the playoffs he will choke, like he has done the last 2 years and will drop passes. Just his nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back