PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker 3/06 rumor of the day: Will go to Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine. I'll take Cruz career output vs Welker anytime - going forward. Assuming a normal injury curve for both, that's an easy win for Cruz.

Is Cruz versus Welker a viable option for the Patriots? I think that the more realistic option is Cruz versus Welker and the production of the 2013 Patriots first round pick as I do not doubt that the Giants will tender Cruz at the first round level.

Is Cruz versus Welker a viable option for the Patriots? I think that the more realistic option is Cruz versus Welker and the production of the 2013 Patriots first round pick as I do not doubt that the Giants will tender Cruz at the first round level.

I think cruz over welker sould be worth it ONLY if the pats are targetting a WR in the first round. You are then essentially using that draft pick to select (trade) for cruz who is more established than any WR they would have taken (not to mention a whole lot more expensive). Plus and perhaps most importantly cruz is significantly younger than welker.

With welker getting most of the playing time, edelman has found a nice spot on the bench.....however given the opportunity he could have much better stats.

Absolutely, if Welker wasn't blocking him Edelman would likely have 160 Rec, 120 1st downs, and 2500 yard with 40 TD's a season, and if Brady doesn't keep him from getting reps at QB he would also pass for 30 TD's and 3600 yards. He's easily the greatest player on a bench in NFL history.

Absolutely, if Welker wasn't blocking him Edelman would likely have 160 Rec, 120 1st downs, and 2500 yard with 40 TD's a season, and if Brady doesn't keep him from getting reps at QB he would also pass for 30 TD's and 3600 yards. He's easily the greatest player on a bench in NFL history.

Et tu, Ivan? Et tu?
Illigetimi carborundum est.

Edelman 70 % of what welker could do...what on earth have you seen that makes you think he can do 70% of that..he can't stay healthy

I think cruz over welker sould be worth it ONLY if the pats are targetting a WR in the first round. You are then essentially using that draft pick to select (trade) for cruz who is more established than any WR they would have taken (not to mention a whole lot more expensive). Plus and perhaps most importantly cruz is significantly younger than welker.

And the 2013 1st rounder is younger than Cruz.

What would be the structure of the Cruz's contract that would prevent the Giants from matching it?

What would be the structure of the Cruz's contract that would prevent the Giants from matching it?

Forget about this , why cannot we get Luck for brady and 1st rd pick.

And, paid $20 million or so less over the next 4 years.

You obviously have not been following my thoughts on this thread.:rolleyes: I said edelman can provide maybe 70% of what welker did given the oppurtunity...didn't say edelman is welkers equal. And the money saved in not signing welker means more dough for thr defense. I would gladly trade some offense for some defense. They won 3 super bowls without welker, they can doit again.

But the 2013 first rounder may or may not pan out as a WR, espcially if it's chad jackson all over again. Cruz is a sure thing.

Giants may just let him go regardless of the cntract the pats offer him, if they are content with getting anothwr first rounder.

Edelman 70 % of what welker could do...what on earth have you seen that makes you think he can do 70% of that..he can't stay healthy

Fine, then sign amendola instead. The point im trying to make is welker is more expendable than everyone thinks.

Fine, then sign amendola instead. The point im trying to make is welker is more expendable than everyone thinks.

On what basis are you making this claim? Other than wishful thinking.

Giants may just let him go regardless of the cntract the pats offer him, if they are content with getting anothwr first rounder.

Wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking.

John mara has already indicated that cruz is not the giants top priority, so who knows? Anyway i do think cruz is going to be a giant next year.

There have been dozens of wide receivers on the Patriots since 2000.

How many of them has Brady made into good receivers?

Troy Brown had 101 receptions in 2001.
David Patten was loading trucks before landing in NE. Would you say he was good? I would.
Jermaine Wiggins was a nobody.
Branch
Givens
Reche Caldwell was the Pats top WR in 2006.
Edelman worked out with Brady last offseason and it showed with his catch %.

Why has not Brady made all of them into good receivers?

Some couldnt grasp the offense. Some shouldnt have been drafted in the first place. Doug Gabriel dropped touchdown passes.

How many WRs that couldnt click with Brady have gone on to excel elsewhere?

Edelman can do at least 70% of what Welker can do as a DB :)

Troy Brown had 101 receptions in 2001.
David Patten was loading trucks before landing in NE. Would you say he was good? I would.
Jermaine Wiggins was a nobody.
Branch
Givens
Reche Caldwell was the Pats top WR in 2006.
Edelman worked out with Brady last offseason and it showed with his catch %.

Some couldnt grasp the offense. Some shouldnt have been drafted in the first place. Doug Gabriel dropped touchdown passes.

How many WRs that couldnt click with Brady have gone on to excel elsewhere?

My poorly stated point was and is that Welker has excelled and should be considered the reason for doing so. If one were to describe the skills of a wide receivers (separation skills, ball skills, route-running, durability, blocking, speed, quickness, football intelligence, toughness) what above-average skills does Welker have? I think several. If I am correct, then I see no reason why Welker could not replicate his success with the Patriots elsewhere.

Welker should certainly see what he is offered during the legal tampering period. This cannot cost him anythinG.

John mara has already indicated that cruz is not the giants top priority, so who knows? Anyway i do think cruz is going to be a giant next year.

That was actually media stirring the pot I believe, Mara came out and said it was bull**** and he fully intends on keeping both Cruz and Nicks.

Cruz is their priority this offseason at least, however if they can't agree to something Nicks is the better WR and should be their priority next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes