PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy on draft night in 9 or 10 years ! Maybe more. I LOVE Mac Jones, and thought we would have to trade up to get him. I am in shock. I really thought even with Jones there, they would do what Belichick always does, and do something weird. I can’t say how happy I am. I can’t sleep. I really feel all 5 QBs are gonna be good, just thrilled we got one of them. Jones was my 3rd favorite. Wasn’t a huge Fields fan, and was worried about Lance.

Even saying that, I think all 5 are better than the best QB from the 2022 draft. THIS was the year to get your franchise QB. While watching the college championship game, I was dreaming about the Pats drafting Jones. I’m beyond happy. Been a Pat’s fan since 1975, and I’m excited as I was in 1993 with Drew. Wow. Shocked.

I wonder if Kraft’s comments about bad drafts, and the need to get our QB of the future had anything to do with the pick.

Now whoever we get at 46 is icing on the cake.

Happy for you, scott

I liked him the most out of the potential first rounders. Seems he had to bust his ass, kept working hard, studies hard...familiar traits of a certain QB now from Florida we're well aware of.

AFCE full of very young QBs.
Draft positioning theoretically tells us that the Patriot will have the worst QB in the division for some time. It'll be interesting seeing how closely that follows the reality.

Wow.
Everyone wanted a QB and they took one.
Guy overwhelmingly mocked in the #3 to #7 range and Pats got him at #15.
No trade out of the first round. No unknown defensive back.
A few questions. But one thing that often translates well to the NFL is accuracy and completion rate.
Sort of a best case off-season.
Let's be honest, though. Jones wasn't getting mocked nearly like that until the SF trade happened and people started assuming that the trade was made so that they could get Jones.

This guy is a statue in the pocket.

The Bills are gonna kill him

I don't know if he was just tired or thought he was going to SF, his eyes looked a little disappointed. I'm thrilled this kid landed here, this system is perfect for a quick throwing pocket passer.

Pretty much every system is perfct for a quick throwing pocket passer.

Ironically it's the "athletic" quarterbacks who "can make THAT throw!" on the run that often need the most specialized system to protect them.

Let's be honest, though. Jones wasn't getting mocked nearly like that until the SF trade happened and people started assuming that the trade was made so that they could get Jones.
I posted two weeks ago...lots of smoke being put out in the media and it will only get thicker. Seems apparent now that there was a game of "who will blink first" going on with SF...Belichick read the tea leaves correctly. I have no idea if ANY of these first five QB's will pan out but this kid has a pretty damn good pedigree coming out of 'Bama. Personally, of all five I would have NEVER taken a BYU QB with the 2nd pick. Time will tell and I'll enjoy every day finding out if we made a prudent decision.

I posted two weeks ago...lots of smoke being put out in the media and it will only get thicker. Seems apparent now that there was a game of "who will blink first" going on with SF...Belichick read the tea leaves correctly. I have no idea if ANY of these first five QB's will pan out but this kid has a pretty damn good pedigree coming out of 'Bama. Personally, of all five I would have NEVER taken a BYU QB with the 2nd pick. Time will tell and I'll enjoy every day finding out if we made a prudent decision.
I think SF probably made the best pick of the entire round (Lawrence was too much of a gimme). Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind if we find out that they've actually alienated JAG to the point where he's out of there, rather than it just being a rumor.

woooow easy Mac, don't interact with ****ing Goodell like he is your friend, he is your enemy since you've been drafted by the Pats, still a rookie I'd guess, gotta learn this lesson the hard way (once Goodell suspends you for allegedly being aware the Patriots used the wrong toilett paper in the building...)

fun aside, nice that Mac fell to the Pats without the need to make a move, even though people say he is pro-ready I don't think he starts the season, but lets see where we are after wk8, the bar is low on QB position

Great pic. Nice one BB.

Well, that didn't take long...

Of course, if BB had Mac Jones fall into his lap and decided to stick with Cam and Stid instead, douche-bag Felger would be all over that like a cheap suit.

Well, that didn't take long...

Of course, if BB had Mac Jones fall into his lap and decided to stick with Cam and Stid instead, douche-bag Felger would be all over that like a cheap suit.

Reached :rofl: :rofl:

A year ago, the Niners could have signed Brady and likely could have traded Garoppolo for a first round pick.

They just traded two first round picks for a guy who, even optimistically, probably won’t be close to as good as Brady, and now they have a messy situation trying to unload Garoppolo and his contract.

Not trading up has additional value besides keeping draft capital and is also not a small matter:

Pick No. 4
  • Total contract value: $32.9 million
  • Signing bonus: $21.3 million

Pick No. 15
  • Total contract value: $15.6 million
  • Signing bonus: $8.7 million

That would roughly be a difference of adding David Andrews on his current 4y deal.

Curran and Perry are both moderately happy with getting Mac Jones. Curran is happy because they didn't give up lots of draft capital to get him, and Perry is happy because he felt the value of the QB position meant we had to have one of the top five QBs to improve our team even if it meant trading up. Both would have preferred Fields. They didn't say if they would have given up what CHI gave to move up and get him. They felt Fields has more upside (comp: Russel Wilson) once he found his stride in the NFL, whereas Mac would be ready sooner but less upside (comp: Derek Carr). I think both of that is silly, it's next to impossible to know what either of them will be like after a year or two in the NFL, but it makes for interesting chit chat.

EDIT: Perry went on to say it was "likely" that Jones would be the Week 1 starter, because BB values accuracy in a QB more than anything, Jones has it, Newton does not. They need him to make the throws he should make, Mac can, Cam can't, and he expects that the coaches will pick up on that pretty quick.

Last edited:
Cam wont go down w/o a fight. With a whole off-season to prepare and potentially a healthier shoulder, plus much better weapons, he should improve.
He cannt really get any worse than he was right?
Im still skeptical about the health of his shoulder. It might be toast. If it is, so is he.
But he could play well enough preseason to start the year. But I could see Jones taking over at some point in the season.
He wasn't accurate back when he HAD a shoulder.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back