PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2 post-game thread - Patriots 40, Bills 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning this game along with Dallas losing Romo and Bryant gives the Pats time to work on their weaknesses......

It's amazing how different the NFL looks from the end of preseason to now in terms of who's good .... Right now in the Afc it's the pats Broncos and steelers.....

The patriots, broncos and steelers are looking good. How shocking! ???

There's always Justin Coleman. Keep Tarrell Brown on the outside and try Ryan or Coleman in the slot.

I would think that it is obvious that Brown and Butler should be outside. The question is who is the best nickel back. This has been my mantra since Arrington was cut. I thought that McClain was the replacement. It turns out that there is no real replacement nickel back.

Nickel back is essentially a starting position, with more reps than some starters. The idea the we should be discussing "starting" guys like Coleman or Ryan shows just how bad a decision it was to cut Arrington without adequate replacement. Given that Revis and Browner were going to leave, Arrington was worth a couple of million more than he would have been worth playing with Revis and Browner.

Is Fletcher really not a better nickel that Ryan or Coleman? I suspect that Harmon is better than either of them.
=======

The BOTTOM LINE is that Fletcher shouldn't be played outside, especially in man coverage. He's just no good at it, and never has been. We had the same situation with Arrington, who everyone want to cut for 3 years because he was a lousy outside corner. He was also a lousy DL. His position was nickel or slot back.

If we have no one who is good enough to start at nickel; back, we should trade for someone. This is not like trading for an outside corner. Someone might be available.

Really?

Check out his numbers.

He was sacked 7 times. There were lots of hurries and knockdowns.

IMHO, Taylor did well under the circumstances.

After all, he almost won the game against one of the top offense in the NFL on a good day.

minor correction....eight times he was sacked for 53 yards lost

Message to Lewis: high and tight, not low and away!

Oh, ****, if Lewis fumbles again within the next 3-4 games, we aren't seeing him for awhile, and that would suck.

The first one last week wasn't too bad, but today's turned it into a whole new situation.

Outstanding performance by Brady, and great game plan on offense. They had a different snap count, one that I had never seen before and it disrupted the timing of the Bills line, very masterful move by BB to defeat Ryan's game plan with one simple adjustment: after Brady calls the mike, he goes to the snap with zero cadence on quite a few occasions. No way for the line to anticipate or develop a rhythm. And as I foresaw we stretched the defense horizontally but sent the TE's vertical. Gronk just dominated the seam.

Very happy with the performance of the OL.. IIRC just four or five penalites on the line itself, including 2 on Andrews. Brady picked up just about every blitz and unlike last week Solder's name was not heard except on that pancake to spring Lewis.

This line should be very confident going forward from now.

I think that today Buffalo got exposed badly as an one dimensional zone read offense- this is definitely not a team built to come from behind and apparently the coaches are not really trusting Tyler with anything else than an option offense. You saw how we adjusted after the first drive to stop the zone read with the gap exchange or "scrape" on a force call (Hightower),with the end crashing or containing if Tyler pulled (similar to the game plan against Seattle in the SB). The rest of the league has taken notice and I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyler yanked sooner or later.

The defense has got to stop going in snooze mode every time we pull away. Two games in a row we've done that.

Message to Lewis: high and tight, not low and away!

Great post, by the way.

I can't wait to get Easley back on the DL......Pats D should be top 5 ......Fix the back end and they should be very very good....

Imagine if we still would of had Revis and Browner, our D would of been thru the roof

Oh, ****, if Lewis fumbles again within the next 3-4 games, we aren't seeing him for awhile, and that would suck.

The first one last week wasn't too bad, but today's turned it into a whole new situation.

I thought it was great that the coaching staff stayed with him after he fumbled in the 2nd quarter. He came back from that and made some big-time plays.

With that said he needs to hang onto the goddamn ball. Hes just like Kevin was in BBs first year.

Great post, by the way.

Thanks, appreciate it.

I don't have DVR and my membership on the torrent site expired so I diagnose on the fly for the most part and could easily be in the wrong. Still trying to gather info on why our line was so successful. Part of it seems to be the change in snap count and the game plan centering around quick releases, but also Ryan seems to have dialed up more zone pressures and did not blitz as much, believing his front four could provide sufficient pressure. Obviously that didn't happen so I expect this to change for next time they face us.

As ludicrous as the idea seems to be, I really think Ryan didn't do his homework with the defense, gameplan-wise. I think he really meant it when he said he had his gameplan ready "a long time ago." On the TD to Gronk, off the TE's flex out play that we saw last week, there was bad communication and confusion that left Gronk in single coverage. At the last minute you can see Bradham shove Williams towards Gilmore to help double up on Gronk but this late adjustment came too late.

Pretty obvious Ryan didn't work on this scenario in practice.

Really?

Check out his numbers.

He was sacked 7 times. There were lots of hurries and knockdowns.

IMHO, Taylor did well under the circumstances.

After all, he almost won the game against one of the top offense in the NFL on a good day.

He lost to the patriots. that's all the fairweather fans need to jump ship and declare the season over.

I just want to give a shout out to the Bills fans by the way, You guys BROUGHT the noise. It was impressive how into the game the bills fans were, even down a couple of scores late in the game, they were still incredibly loud. So props to them for doing their part.

Odd defensive plan by Rex Ryan to really rely on the front four for pressure. And they didn't seem to adjust much.
Tremendous performance by the interior line against Dareus and Williams. We expected a Kline-Andrews-Jackson interior to be a big mismatch. It wasn't.

Very similar offensive gameplan to the Seattle game. Spread them out. A few interior runs. Use the WR's for any outside runs. Quick routes with quick WR's on LB's underneath. Buffalo did a great job the first three plays tackling the receivers for not gain on the sidelines, but then really struggled in the middle of the field.
Edelman mentioned Brady motioning him over from the offensive right side to the left side, not to change the route but to pick up a blitzer that he read. Unbelievable. He can pick that up, accurately, communicate in that environment, to ensure perfect execution. That is what makes him great.

You have to question the Buffalo offensive line after that performance. Eight sacks, when the defense is primarily playing contain. There were plenty of times the edge player was simply holding the edge rather than penetrating, keeping Taylor in the pocket.

The Patriots were surprisingly successful stacking the line, daring Taylor to throw, and trusting their corners. A lot of single man coverage with those eight on the line formations. A lot of shifting the edge DL and interior DL, really confusing the offensive line calls. When they are playing Chandler Jones and Geneo Grissom inside, they can easily swing to the outside. Versatile, confusing.
Looks like it is now Logan Ryan's chance to earn one of the three starting corner roles.

A telling comment, maybe, on Arrington in the 'Do Your Job' documentary. Belichick spoke about removing Arrington in the Super Bowl because he is so streaky - a couple bad outcomes and then he plays poorly. Sort of ironic, the questions about cutting Arrington here, after so many were vocally questioning signing the extension three years ago.

Unbelievable athletic plays by Butler on the interception and Amendola on the catch. Body control, eye-hand coordination, toughness when hitting the turf without letting the ball touch or breaking the fall.

As I mentioned earlier, I am fine with the fourth-and-one plays. You are way ahead, opportunity to set up future opponents who have to worry about a long play on the short yardage play. Also something they can practice, like the now-famous shots of Malcolm Butler practicing the WR screen play. Something in the bank. Thinking several games ahead.

The Bills play a high-risk offense when they are behind. Can lead to quick strike touchdowns. Can lead to costly turnovers.

Bottom Line: We won in a difficult place against one of the top Defenses in the League. Brady had a career game that was historic. Josh McDaniels drew up a masterful gameplan. But, 500 yards of offense, 3 interceptions, and eight sacks should result in a blowout. The game was waaay more close than it needed to be. Too many penalties. Too many questionable play calls. Too little effort by the defense in the 4th quarter. Pats have to learn to execute at critical moments and finish strong! #PatriotStrong

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back