PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need Hightower back asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Mayo is not playing at his full potential, he hasn't been playing at a high level the last two seasons, I think we cut him loose after this year, we need another linebacker in there that can be tough against the run and can blitz as well. I know we have Collins but adding another big body linebacker would be nice so Hightower doesn't have to play too many snaps.

Mayo is not playing at his full potential, he hasn't been playing at a high level the last two seasons, I think we cut him loose after this year, we need another linebacker in there that can be tough against the run and can blitz as well. I know we have Collins but adding another big body linebacker would be nice so Hightower doesn't have to play too many snaps.
Mayo is gonzo.

Give ht all the time he needs to heal up. Let guys gain some experience and it will help our team in the long run. When all our injured heals up we get first rate reinforcements.

Did Bostik end up playing?

Mayo was excellent last year, but I agree he hasn't been playing well so far this year.

I would just slightly disagree about Mayo, and that is about last year. He looked really good before he got injured. This year though, he looks like a shell of his former self

Um, you know Mayo is not fully recovered right?

I would just slightly disagree about Mayo, and that is about last year. He looked really good before he got injured. This year though, he looks like a shell of his former self

He has had great difficulty getting off blocks which to me signifies lack of upper body strength. Don't think he's over the surgery by any stretch.

Anyone dissapointed with malcom brown thus far? Our run defense still gets gashed from time to time

Injuries. He's been injured. Needs to come back from it. Knees sometimes take a while.

And after looking at Freeney, this team needs as many linebackers as possible, so I agree with you there.

Anyone dissapointed with malcom brown thus far? Our run defense still gets gashed from time to time
There is a whole thread dedicated to this topic.

Everyone on the line was moved around when Gore ran. Not just Brown.

Hes a rookie. He needs to play, screw up, learn, improve and play some more.

He has had great difficulty getting off blocks which to me signifies lack of upper body strength. Don't think he's over the surgery by any stretch.

I agree. Whats compounded it is that Mayo never had a Vincent Brown-like upper body. He relied on his speed to a spot, great hands, leverage, angles and quick feet to get off blocks quickly.

There is no question he is not what he was. I do question if he does make it back. Tough to tell right now.

Colts did a pretty good job of run blocking, but the LBs filled poorly. Didn't see too many DL errors, they were staying square and occupying space pretty well. But wow, did our LBs, especially Mayo, have trouble getting off blocks and filling. D played a lot with the safeties back in nickel, obvious respect for Luck's throwing ability. Seemed we were more concerned with stopping the pass than run or a safety might have spent more time in run support instead of deeper coverage. Defense gave up 14 legit points against Luck and the Indy offense, I'll take it. Garbage time touchdown. Lots of stops on 3rd down which were were not getting a couple of weeks ago, nice improvement.

Hightower looks huge right now, he does a much better job in run support.

Agree with all here--Hightower's absence was glaring last night. Mayo isn't what he was, he will likely improve some but my guess not tremendously. Brown will be a force next year, and will continue to improve this year as they continue to coach him up.

I'm guessing the Pats key on Ivory this week, put Butler on Marshall, and put the game on Fitzpatrick. Jets defense is good--it was good last year apart from the secondary and that's obviously improved. But assuming Hightower and Sheard play, I think the Pats' D comes up very big this week.

If a Mayo cut is necessary to facilitate a certain trade, so be it. I know he is BB's other son but we are spending an absurd amount of cap on a part time LBer. Freeny is playing more snaps.

Cutting Mayo could allow us to go after Jason McCourty for instance. Considering we have nearly no needs for next season I'd be fine trading 2016 picks.

People say he's recovering,
but he got injured over a year ago?
Maybe he's just done.

Maybe Dane Fletcher will be back soon to help the LB corps? Or bring up Darius Fleming?

If a Mayo cut is necessary to facilitate a certain trade, so be it. I know he is BB's other son but we are spending an absurd amount of cap on a part time LBer. Freeny is playing more snaps.

Cutting Mayo could allow us to go after Jason McCourty for instance. Considering we have nearly no needs for next season I'd be fine trading 2016 picks.

People say he's recovering,
but he got injured over a year ago?
Maybe he's just done.
Mayo's contract base salary for this year is guaranteed as he is a veteran. So as I understand it the savings from cutting him would be minimal if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes