PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We have #1 seed right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to: PLAYOFFRACE, we are the #1 seed over Texans, based on strength of victory percentage.

Oddly enough, if the Steelers, Pats, and Texans all win this week, and the 49ers beat the Ravens, we drop to #3. Go figure. I understand the nature of the tiebreakers involved, but still kind of strange.

When people talk like this, it becomes patently clear they don't understand how the scheduling has worked. The schedule was set years in advance for 14 of the 16 games. It's been on the same rotation since 2002.

Just because the teams that the Steelers have played haven't lived up to their potential doesn't mean that the league purposely game the Steelers and easy schedule..

No doubt. However, just because a schedule is set automatically (AFC/NFC rotation is already set, intra-conference divisional matchups (AFCE v. AFCN, etc.) are already set, with the rest based on record), doesn't mean that a team doesn't have a schedule advantage...sometimes a large one.

How do we have the tiebreak over Balti and Houston?

That is just currently, as of right this second--thru 10 games. I believe that it would be either based on AFC conference losses, then opponents' winning percentage.

We all know that our opponents' winning percentages will drastically drop throughout the course of the next 6 games, so I really can't understand exactly why anyone even cares or puts much thought into it as of right now; other than being optimistic/getting excited over nothing.

We have a realistic shot at a #2 seed, but even that will not be as easy as everyone expects it to be. They'd have to win out, and also have BAL win the AFC North (putting PIT as a wildcard, since they beat us). I am not sure about HOU, but I would assume that they'd have to lose a game for sure also.

Of course if you're like me, and you plan on at least another Pats loss, you'd have to then hope for BAL to still win the AFC North, AND have HOU lose two more games...and that scenario would net us the #2nd seed.

Either way, being #1 this week will not last beyond...this week.

We have a very tough game vs PHI, SF may beat BAL, PIT will crush KC, and HOU will most likely beat up on JAX too...

We could easily go from #1 all the way to #3 or even #4 by Monday night, and that's even WITH a win.

Re: ESPN Playoffs machine-

Also, interesting to note... the same scenario (defense) in which the Pats don't make the playoffs, the Packers make it as the #6 seed at 10-6. Which means the Packers don't win one more game the rest of the way.

These rankings are stupid.

I agree that these rankings are absolutely pointless at this juncture. It we had 2 or 3 games left, then it would mean something, but not with 10 of 16 games played.

To be fair, the poster that you quoted did not say that the Pats would not make the playoffs at all, he said that the Defense scenario would not get them a 1 or a 2 seed.

Even that is a stretch, b/c if we win 5 out of 6 games (where the defense plays pretty well, or at least good enough to win) we'd still need help from BAL to win their division over PIT, since the Steelers have the tiebreaker over us vs head to head. So, that's one scenario where we'd still need help. And that doesn't even bring up HOU, who would also need to lose at least one..if not two (I believe it's 2), so there's even MORE help from another team.

The "defense" scenario is ridiculously flawed. They could hold the opponent to an average of 10 pts a game, still lose one, and we'd need help from a couple teams just to get the #2...

That same site also points out that we don't control our own destiny. If both us and the Raven win out, the Ravens have the number one seed.

Then our current hypothetical #1 seed is pretty academic.

Anyhow, I'd prefer not to play Pitt or Balt until the AFCC game, because after that one there are two weeks to heal up. :)

Silly logic, root for both to lose? How about that?

uh, I am rooting for neither, I am rooting for the Bengals to win out, hurts both the Steelers, the ratbirds and the Jets.....
I did the simulator and even if the Jest win out, they could still not make the playoffs, if
the bengals beat both the Steelers and the Ravens and finish at 11-5. I also had the 49ers beating both the Steelers and the Ravens, so all three teams in the north finish 11-5.

Last edited:
That is just currently, as of right this second--thru 10 games. I believe that it would be either based on AFC conference losses, then opponents' winning percentage.

We could easily go from #1 all the way to #3 or even #4 by Monday night, and that's even WITH a win.

I could not care less how we seed NOW. What I care about most after of course simply winning the AFCE is simply to see the Pats arrive at season's end relatively healthy and with continued improvement from the defense. Seeding will taker care of itself and comes way down after these issues.

We have a better conf record over Baltimore. 6-2 vs. 5-2 but if both teams run the table that will tie up at 10-2.

I am assuming with Houston it is SoV. We tie for conf.

Thing about SoV is we have the abosolute easiest remaining sechedule. By the end of the season we won't be able to beat anyone on SoV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back