PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watson is hurting this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson's been sub-par lately, but it was a decent season. I expect he'll improve - and get to know the jugs gun better this off-season. As for Sunday, I think he could've worked a little harder on some of those low throws (that Graham now routinely catches), but some of the passes were poorly and inaccurately delivered by #12.

Maybe, maybe not.

I dont think they would play him if there was an injury problem.

So you think the OC changed the routes for no reason over the fact that Watson is still wearing a brace after injuring his knee just over a month and a half ago?

Well, to each their own I guess.

I think Watson will be fine. I seen TB trying to force the ball to him a couple of times in triple coverage. The ball has so much zip, it would of taken out a small tree. Other times, it was high, or at the feet. Tough catches for anyone.

watson has 3 people on him...problem is brady still throws him the ball forgetting his philosophy of throwing to the open guy ..maybe there werent any...hopefully brady keeps his head and throws it away or to someone else...

Umm Graham has had his share of big drops. I can recall at least one catchable ball in the SD game that Graham dropped yet he gets no blame?

I don't think you should be down on Watson. He has made some mistakes and drops but he has also made a lot of big plays and Brady looks to him as one of his weapons.

In other words I would give some slack to Watson given that he is probably not 100% and given that he is STILL a threat to make a big play even hampered somewhat by injury.

Watson will get better and better I think. We have yet to see his ceiling as this is Watson's first full season starting. We already know what Graham has to offer.

Show me some more of Dave Thomas. Watson gives me a near heart attack hoping he wont fumble the ball again.

Amen. And once again, TB tries to thread the needle on a deep seam pattern that has zero chance of completion, into double coverage. This occured in the 3rd quarter, on the drive in which the head-butt on Graham gave the Pats a 34-yard FG, instead of a 51-yard attempt. Those routes are less than useless. The flag route, however, on 2nd/16 during the same drive, was right on. Too bad TB underthrew him. Flags, sits, and crossing patterns work better with Bennie.

On the play where Watson made a great play at the goal line to break up a sure intercepion after Brady forced a throw down the middle, who was wide open 10 yards to the left of Watson at the goal line for an uncontested sure Touchdown? Former Texas Longhorn Dave Thomas.

Last edited:
I agree that Watson's presence on the field as the #2 TE is hurting this team. David Thomas is already a better player than Watson. He has better hands, he's a better blocker, he has better instincts, and he's a winner. His Jacksonville performance, his only opportunity to play, was better than any performance Watson has had in his entire career.

On the play where Watson made a great play at the goal line to break up a sure intercepion after Brady forced a throw down the middle, who was wide open at the 10 yard to the left of Watson for an uncontested sure Touchdown? Former Texas Longhorn Dave Thomas.

I didn't notice that; I'll have to re-watch that series.

TB's staring-down of, and then low-percentage passes to, the Bumbler, into double+ coverage, annoys the eff out of me. Please, TB, for the sake of everything you hold dear, stop doing that.

I know the concensus is that he is still injured, but here is proof of how it is affecting him.
I'm not sure what drive it was on, but it was a very similar play to the one where Brady underthrew him when he was wideopen. He ran a 10 yard out to the sideline, and the ball was thrown at his feet, and he was unable to come back to the ball by making a sharp cut. Hopefully the knee will start to get better, because he has better playmaking ability than a lot of guys out there.

I'd lighten up. He's a had a good year but has really gotten the crap beaten out of him from consistently being the only real threat. This is essentially only his second year and I think he is still pretty hurt form the injury that made him miss those games.

ditto

and when you're the only threat - as he was earlier in the season, but is most definately not now, you are constantly double teamed and have limited yards after the catch.

His stats are amazing considering all that. But I agree he's playing injured - that's something we'll never know until after the season ends as BB keeps that info tight to the vest.

My feelings about Watson and his hands are well documented (and chastised) on this board...

But now, here's a new "wrinkle" I have noticed in his game:

He never seems to get back to balls. Either his momentum or the way he runs his routes always seems to be pulling him away from the ball and he tries to reach down and make a shoe-string catch.

It makes it look like Brady is underthrowing him except that it happens damn near every time!

Pretty much the only ball he is catching these days is the one that hits him square in the chest. Not a good trend for a tight end.

I much prefer Graham or Thomas over Watson right now.

Last edited:
I agree that Watson's presence on the field as the #2 TE is hurting this team. David Thomas is already a better player than Watson. He has better hands, he's a better blocker, he has better instincts, and he's a winner. His Jacksonville performance, his only opportunity to play, was better than any performance Watson has had in his entire career.

Totally agree.

It's time to IR Watson if he's injured and make room for Thomas.

Why not? Don't you think it's possible?

Possible that an OC would change routes that had been working for no reason? Or possible that his injured knee isn't still hurting him? I guess both things are 'possible', but to this poster 'possible' and 'likely' or 'realistic' aren't always one and the same.

You'll always take the 'possible' route to blame the OC though, so why argue that as your basis for the argument?

Watson is and will be a positive contributor to this team.

Dave Thomas needs more playing time... bottom line.

His hands are almost money; every time.

Dave Thomas needs more playing time... bottom line.

His hands are almost money; every time.

Dave Thomas is money. He adjusts to the ball, catches it in traffic.

Watson is a great athlete, but I don't think he has great hands. Think he's more athlete than TE.

Maybe mills can play TE next year as well as Thomas. Or maybe they need to draft another if graham leaves. Key is on production, not potential. Think the pats got blind sided by watson's "measureables".

Dave Thomas is money. He adjusts to the ball, catches it in traffic.

Watson is a great athlete, but I don't think he has great hands. Think he's more athlete than TE.

Maybe mills can play TE next year as well as Thomas. Or maybe they need to draft another if graham leaves. Key is on production, not potential. Think the pats got blind sided by watson's "measureables".

Does this mark the beginning of the "bust" discussions?

If Watson can draw double coverage that means someone else will have single coverage.

Do we not forget the Jets game where he had single coverage and drew a pass interference call?

He is useful to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye