PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watch out for Jump Ball Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, congratulations PatsFans.com. Many of the posters here have officially made Patriots fans look like the biggest scared kittycats in the whole of the NFL.

Or maybe we discuss football and the fact that on any given Sunday any team, can beat any other. The fact is that Baltimore is a pretty good team and they have a couple of units that match up well with the Patriots. I see the Patriots as the more complete team and should win, but yeah, as a rational person, I am always nervous in a lose and go home situation for the Pats.

Internet tough guys who beat their chests and yell "No way we're gonna lose" were fun hang out with in 9th grade.

Sorry our reasoning is making you look like a p ****y y to your young friends. I hope you can survive that.

Last edited:
If Baltimore scored 20 vs. Jax...how will they score more than that vs. NE unless we turn the ball over? Someone please explain this to me.

It doesn't work like that. That's like saying if we can only score 17 against the jets, how can score more points against the ravens?

We're all hoping that changes this weekend with the best defense that we've had in awhile! The ability to get a turnover or two would be enormous in this kind of setting. Hopefully, he's been saving some INTs for this weekend!
He's saving them for sure--his streak of 166 consecutive playoff passes without an INT is 4th longest in NFL history. He is tops in the NFL with 10 playoff victories since 08 and 7 playoff road wins.

It doesn't work like that. That's like saying if we can only score 17 against the jets, how can score more points against the ravens?

We could have scored more. No Edelman and they just ran the clock out on the last drive. They could have scored then AND the Jets had a running game to milk the clock.

Can we stop this nonsense? If we're talking about Brady/Manning, it's always "yeah Peyton has better regular season stats but Tom is better in the playoffs." Now, we flip the script--Flacco has a better postseason record than Brady, better postseason QB rating, and has flat outplayed him the last 3 times in the postseason. Get out of here with that crap that he's not a "real QB"
I don't think that there's anything wrong with discussing Flacco's play-style, which some might describe as toxic - it's clearly exploiting rules beyond their intended purpose. Yeah, the rules are the rules, and taking advantage of them is a credit to the player, but when it defines a player, it feels very weak and in some ways "not real".

Obviously there is a lot more to Flacco's game than just "throw jump balls and hope for PI", yet there is no other quarterback that we talk about that for, so I honestly don't think it's unfair to call it one of Joe's "defining characteristics", especially with how strongly the numbers back it up.

What I find interesting is that most of this discussion came before the facts... which backed up the truth of the discussion. Also interesting is that all these articles are now surfacing (or was I just not reading them before?), seems as though the media has taken notice too.

What I find interesting is that most of this discussion came before the facts... which backed up the truth of the discussion. Also interesting is that all these articles are now surfacing (or was I just not reading them before?), seems as though the media has taken notice too.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, depending on personal opinion.

Yes, Flacco may get more DPI calls than a lot of other QBs. On the other hand, we've also pointed out "facts" that show how Flacco has thrown for 20 TDs vs. only 2 INTs in his last NINE postseason games, how he's currently on a streak of 166 attempts without an interception (4th longest in NFL postseason history), how he's now the QB with the most road wins in the playoffs, and how he's 5-0 in his last five playoff games.

"Facts" can go both ways, so there's a bit of truth coming from both sides. Flacco can be both very good and erratic at the same time, which is a bit odd.

We could have scored more. No Edelman and they just ran the clock out on the last drive. They could have scored then AND the Jets had a running game to milk the clock.

Ok, but the ravens have like 17 guys on IR. The team didn't play well at all that day.

Bingo.

Dscola should comment on the level of discourse there compared to here.

What sayeth you, Shakespeare?
I was replying to the poster who asked why other team's fans go to another team's board. My reply was basically because they want to set the record straight about their team. It's not just this team. All fans do the same thing. Don't get offended so easily.

flacco is a great playoff QB.
look at home much time geno had to throw, if flacco gets the same amount of time we're in big trouble.

I see this thread is getting popular outside of this board. LOL. I don't think anyone is dissing Flacco, the guy is a proven playoff QB and he's arguably been better than Brady in the postseason in recent years.

But about the DPI? It's indisputable that he gets a lot of calls. This is not an opinion, this is a factual statement backed up by numbers. Numbers have no bias to any team, they do not lie. Maybe the best thing for the defense is not worry about the flags and play their game even if it dares the refs to call flags every time. Sometimes that approach works. See Seahawks, Super Bowl, 43-8.

Its part of Joe and the Ravens game. The Ravens have few playmakers on offense and Joe has a strong arm. I think they are legit shots down field with the hope if it can't be caught hope for the flag. But, its not a designed play for PI. Its not Joe's fault or any other QB's that the DB can't cover. It used to be called throwing a bomb, now its called looking for a PI. Us Ravens fans feel every ones just jealous their QB's don't have the arm to throw it 60 yds. down field. Lol.

You gotta love Bill:
Belichick said:
Q: Is a defensive back on the outside virtually helpless on an underthrown ball when a receiver stops short and starts running back? What’s he supposed to do?
BB: Turn and look for the ball.
Q: If you’re running top speed and stop.
BB: Well, the receiver you’re covering slows down, right?
Q: If he slows down.
BB: Why is he slowing down?
Q: For the ball.
BB: Turn and look for the ball.
Q: If you’re running stride for stride with someone right on them.
BB: When the guy slows down –
Q: What if there is no slow down?
BB: Then he’s not coming back for the ball.
http://nesn.com/2015/01/bill-belichick-patriots-wont-fall-into-joe-flaccos-pass-interference-trap/

F...U Jump Ball Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back