PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WARNING!!! *This Post is Critical of BB/Pioli*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Looking at the current state of the Patriots roster, I can't help but second guess BB/Pioli on the current state of the team's LB and WR positions.

With respect to linebacker, in the offseason, Willie Mac and Matt Chatam were let go. I think we were all expecting that Claridge would in the fold for this year, but based on his being cut, one would assume that BB/Pioli knew that Claridge was a bust in planning for 06. That left us with a starting LB rotation of Vrabel, Bruschi, Biesel, and Colvin with TBC, Izzo, Don Davis et. al. as back ups. Little can be expected of the converted DE Mincey this season or the UDFAs Woods or Roach. Is it me or is this a recipe for disaster?

Regarding the WRs, I don't blame BB/Pioli for the Branch hold out, but I do blame them for not acquiring more experienced FA depth or drafting an additional WR this year. I have to admit, for all the criticism Branch's agent is getting, he is aware of how heavily the Pat's were relying on Branch this year. I believe that the acquisition of C. Jackson was a contingency for Branch's departure after the '06 season. Unfortunately, I don't think we can expect Jackson to fill Dieon's shoes this season.

The hallmark of the Patriot's SB winning teams has always been their depth. Is it just me or does it seem that the LB and WR depth of this year's team is foolishly thin?

kurtinelson said:
Looking at the current state of the Patriots roster, I can't help but second guess BB/Pioli on the current state of the team's LB and WR positions.

With respect to linebacker, in the offseason, Willie Mac and Matt Chatam were let go. I think we were all expecting that Claridge would in the fold for this year, but based on his being cut, one would assume that BB/Pioli knew that Claridge was a bust in planning for 06. That left us with a starting LB rotation of Vrabel, Bruschi, Biesel, and Colvin with TBC, Izzo, Don Davis et. al. as back ups. Little can be expected of the converted DE Mincey this season or the UDFAs Woods or Roach. Is it me or is this a recipe for disaster?

Regarding the WRs, I don't blame BB/Pioli for the Branch hold out, but I do blame them for not acquiring more experienced FA depth or drafting an additional WR this year. I have to admit, for all the criticism Branch's agent is getting, he is aware of how heavily the Pat's were relying on Branch this year. I believe that the acquisition of C. Jackson was a contingency for Branch's departure after the '06 season. Unfortunately, I don't think we can expect Jackson to fill Dieon's shoes this season.

The hallmark of the Patriot's SB winning teams has always been their depth. Is it just me or does it seem that the LB and WR depth of this year's team is foolishly thin?

Is it just me or did Michael Felger try to make the same point in a heavily-scrutinized article last week?

Legit concerns - I'll reply with a quote from Bill Belichick:

"Depth is what you have in October, November, and December. That's what depth is."

Didn't felger mess that one up as well???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reasonable criticisms. I have to say, I don't get all the focus on Vinatieri around here. To me, the one truly baffling move of the offseason was letting Willie go. The whole roster would look different to me if he were still around.

Last edited:
The collective bargaining agreement shafted the Pats. Had the cap not been expanded there would not likely have been as many teams with as much money to spend.

Everybody is up in arms because of 3 players lost. Obviously the Pats drafted mostl offense to give their best player more weapons. Keep in mind the injuries they were battling last year and the change in coordinators, pus the tough schedule. They were one victory from the conference championship game. Plus Brady had his intestines poking through his abs.

They reloaded and got faster.

The only way I think you can get angry at the patriots is if they don't use the extra money all season and it goes to waste. They've always spent to the cap.

And I think they have enough quality bodies on defense. I wouldn't be worried if the middle lb's have some issues stopping the run. Remember Rudi Johnson runnign all over them in the preseason?

You can be concerned if they can't stop the run in game 1. It's a work in progress.

I think they've done a solid job of putting together a competitive group.

and I'm predicting eventually Branch fires his agent to save face and signs the contract and the fiens are not assessed.

Another thread, another thread on the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

kurtinelson said:

While I may agree with you in regard to both of your concerns in regard to lb,and wr depth,In the Patriots system they are tough positions to learn.
1st year players at either of those positions take longer here than in other programs.
While the pats do have some "thin spots" So does every team!
Not trying to play "glass half empty vs half full" I do share your concerns but
preseason will be a better barometer:D

Here's an option:
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-25/1155196794327410.xml&coll=1
Halfway through training camp, the newest Saints wide receiver has become the personification of the term "mercurial."

In the course of two plays, Bethel Johnson can draw praise for extending his body to make a catch and ire for not knowing where to line up.
-----

"He's got to catch up a little bit," Curtis Johnson said. "(The system) is a little bit different from what he did in New England. I think he'll get it. It's going to take him a little bit, but I don't think that's uncommon. He's just got to be here and be on the practice field. If he does that, I think he'll pick it up pretty good."
-----
Curtis Johnson said Johnson has shown a willingness to learn, often staying after practice to go over alignments and play scripts. Often, Johnson can be seen during team drills when he's not in the lineup checking play charts in preparation for the next time he is on the field, doing whatever he can to shake that "mercurial" tag.

captain stone said:
No, it's not...

well then it is you too...

but it sure isn't me...or any of my NFL enthusiast amigos...

kurtinelson said:

Assuming Branch plays a down this year and Jackson gets his hammy in order we should be fine at WR. Caldwell is starting to make a believer out of me. Plus Watson should take on a bigger role in the offense this year. At the end of the day Brady will have some targets

The LB thing is a little scary. Bruschi is out for awhile. Haven't really followed Gardner in camp but he is experienced. Chad Brown should also be able to help at OLB, if he can come back from his wrist injury. If the injury bug gets any worse here we're in trouble, unless someone thinks Izzo or Davis can step in and be servicable (they can't).

I too am critical of BB/Pioli.

In 2001 our WR s*ucked. We only got 2 WR -- Brown and Patten .... and how really good is Patten any way???? Fred Coleman? You gotta be kiddin' me.

In 2003 I cannot believe BB went with Ken Walter. I mean the guy couldn't punt it 30 yards. Not to mention A. "pokey" Smith and Kevin "fumble" Faulk at RB?????? Geez......

In 2004 our secondary s*ucked. I mean Dexter Reid at safety? Don Davis is a LB, not a safety. A WR at CB? Give me a break...... An undrafted rookie named Gay ..... geez.

I think BB/SP is arrogant because he doesn't have depth at all QUALITY at all positions everywhere.

I am p*issed off royally :mad: that BB doesn't have QUALITY 3rd string depth that meets my approval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean look at what Felger and Borges have said. Those guys are smart. BB should listen to them.

sarcasm off///////////

In case you didn't get what I was saying in my previous post ... the key secret for any team to win the Super Bowl is just that TEAM. It's okay to have a Brandon Gorin at RT, a Kaczur at RT, and the 3rd string to be a rookie (O'Callagan).

Its also okay for the backup to Wilfork last year to be Warren moving over and an UDFA Mike Wright.

Its also okay for the ILB to be Bruschi and Beisel, with Gardner and Vrabel moving over as the back-up. With a rookie say, Roach to be the back-up.

We have seen BB get by with WR issues, RB issues (A. Smith), OL issues, S issues, CB issues, DL issues. Punter issues. All sorts of issues.

We don't need a All-Star team with All-Star depth. We just our defense to play in the words of BB "in time." With coheisiveness as a T E A M. If we can do that, we'll be fine. We didn't win those years because of our WR depth, our CB depth, or our saftey depth. As BB said, "are you going to compare my paper to" somebody else's paper????? What the h@ll is paper anyway?? Proof in point, Super Bowl 36.

BOTTOMLINE: If we don't play as a coheisive unit, we won't win. If we play as a cohesive unit, we will win. We didn't lose last year because Monty Beisel played ILB in the Jaguar and Bronco games. We didn't lose because Bruschi was hurt in those 2 games. We didn't lose because our defense cracked. We lost because our offense played with no coheisivness and rythm and we committed stupid turnovers. We lost because we had no balance on offense. We passed, but we couldn't scare the Broncos with the run. IF WE WANT WIN, WE GOT TO HIT HARDER THAN THEY HIT!!!!! WE GOT KEEP THEIR DEFENSE ON THEIR HEALS BETWEEN THE RUN AND BRADY PICKING THEM APART WITH HIS TEs ON THEIR LB. That's how it is and how it will always be.

Last edited:
No, your post is not even worth considering reading. BB/Pioli are perfect. That's it. End of story. Anybody who disagrees is a commie.

At any one year on any given team there are strengths, this year look at our D line and O line, it can be said that the NFL is won in the trenches... while I agree we could be stronger with the WR's and LB's, what are our strengths:

O Line, young, strong and smart.
QB, nuff said
RB's, quality 3 deep
TE's, depth, quality and may help make up for WR's
WR's, looks like it could be improved and Branch may be back soon
DL, strong, strong, smart
LB's, looks like depth is needed
Secondary, looks pretty good, but a pass has not been thrown
ST's, hard to tell...

You can criticize this team as much as you want, but I think there is a plan, and I have felt all along our offense will look a lot different this year with all of the TE's.

kurtinelson said:

panicbutton.gif

Click on that when you need to.

We haven't even played on pre-season game.

By the end of the preseason, the roster will be a little different than it is now. New people will be signed.

I'll be critical of them when I actually see something to be critical about during the regular season.

My advise is to relax and go to a Red Sox board if you need to be critical now. You'll blend in well there.

Last edited by a moderator:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
In case you didn't get what I was saying in my previous post ... the key secret for any team to win the Super Bowl is just that TEAM. It's okay to have a Brandon Gorin at RT, a Kaczur at RT, and the 3rd string to be a rookie (O'Callagan).

Its also okay for the backup to Wilfork last year to be Warren moving over and an UDFA Mike Wright.

Its also okay for the ILB to be Bruschi and Beisel, with Gardner and Vrabel moving over as the back-up. With a rookie say, Roach to be the back-up.

We have seen BB get by with WR issues, RB issues (A. Smith), OL issues, S issues, CB issues, DL issues. Punter issues. All sorts of issues.

We don't need a All-Star team with All-Star depth. We just our defense to play in the words of BB "in time." With coheisiveness as a T E A M. If we can do that, we'll be fine. We didn't win those years because of our WR depth, our CB depth, or our saftey depth. As BB said, "are you going to compare my paper to" somebody else's paper????? What the h@ll is paper anyway?? Proof in point, Super Bowl 36.

BOTTOMLINE: If we don't play as a coheisive unit, we won't win. If we play as a cohesive unit, we will win. We didn't lose last year because Monty Beisel played ILB in the Jaguar and Bronco games. We didn't lose because Bruschi was hurt in those 2 games. We didn't lose because our defense cracked. We lost because our offense played with no coheisivness and rythm and we committed stupid turnovers. We lost because we had no balance on offense. We passed, but we couldn't scare the Broncos with the run. IF WE WANT WIN, WE GOT TO HIT HARDER THAN THEY HIT!!!!! WE GOT KEEP THEIR DEFENSE ON THEIR HEALS BETWEEN THE RUN AND BRADY PICKING THEM APART WITH HIS TEs ON THEIR LB. That's how it is and how it will always be.
Every time Felger opens his mouth he needs this response shoved down his throat he is really becoming annoying along with his know it all mentality.

Everyone keeps blasting the front office for the depth at WR and LB, but look at the positions he's fortified! WE HAVE TWO KICKERS, PEOPLE !! TWO !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes