PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wants, Needs, and Notes on the Other Teams

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Anytime we look at the draft we have to take into account the wants and needs of the rest of the league to understand who may or may not be there when the Patriots pick, so I started this thread so everyone can give their input on what they think or have heard other teams might do come April.

Looking at the to of the draft it appears that it will be all about the to two QBs and who does our doesn't want them. Rumor is that Jacksonville is already looking to move down, and 3 of the top 5 are not likely to take a QB (Jags, Raiders, Skins), so there is almost certainly going to be a lot of intrigue and jockeying for position if Winston and Mariotta stay at the top of the board.

Will the Browns trade both firsts for one of the QBs?

Will the Jets try to move up for one of the QBs?

What free agent moves change the draft?

What releases change the draft?

Who wants what, who needs what?

Pagano said today that the Colts want want a workhorse RB rather than a RBBC.

Titans are making eyes at Leonard Williams

Vic Beasley said that the Dolphins have been really interested in him.

Pagano said today that the Colts want want a workhorse RB rather than a RBBC.

Thanks Manx, some have mocked WR to them as well, I have to think that they are crazy if they go offense early. They will never get past the Patriots while their defense is getting pushed all over the field, I was thinking DT (Goldman, Brown, Philips)

Thanks Manx, some have mocked WR to them as well, I have to think that they are crazy if they go offense early. They will never get past the Patriots while their defense is getting pushed all over the field, I was thinking DT (Goldman, Brown, Philips)

They could get a RB in the second - and that assumes they don't sign one of the big FAs. Don't think they need a WR early, they have Hilton, Moncrief and Fleener as their premier receivers.

I would highly recommend following Rob Staton's Seahawks Draft Blog. It's full of great draft analysis by someone who is very well-informed about the kind of players that Seattle might consider. Here's the most recent entry, on OL Jake Fisher:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/thoughts-on-jake-fisher-and-his-fit-in-seattle

Given that Seattle and the Pats draft back-to-back and could be competing for some of the same players, it's well worth following. Jared Stanger at Fieldgulls.com is also a good read.

Roster Watch says Broncos are locked in on Malcolm Brown to replace Pot Roast. Could work fine. Malcolm is young and is a big step back for a year or two.

My guess is they hit FA for a combo of DTs something like make a huge play for Knighton and then get Dan Williams or Pat Sims. Which then they get Melvin Gordon or Todd Gurley

Interesting thought in lieu of this Philly trade of Lesean McCoy. I read somewhere that Fletcher Cox would be an integral part of any Mariota trade up for Philly and bearing in mind that the Eagles have just cleared 21m off their books, do the Eagles use their first plus Fletcher Cox to trade up for Mariota and then pick up Suh in FA as a replacement?

Interesting thought in lieu of this Philly trade of Lesean McCoy. I read somewhere that Fletcher Cox would be an integral part of any Mariota trade up for Philly and bearing in mind that the Eagles have just cleared 21m off their books, do the Eagles use their first plus Fletcher Cox to trade up for Mariota and then pick up Suh in FA as a replacement?

Just to extend this idea, if you are the Titans, do you take Leonard Williams or Fletcher Cox, Philly's first and maybe an additional pick?

This trade idea strikes me as a win-win. Imagine if the Eagles got Maclin back back to play with Mariota and signed Suh and one of (God forbid) Darrelle Revis or Devin McCourty. Heck, Shane Vereen is now a really nice fit for that team.

Imagine if the Eagles got Maclin back back to play with Mariota and signed Suh and one of (God forbid) Darrelle Revis or Devin McCourty. Heck, Shane Vereen is now a really nice fit for that team.

I think the Eagles are starting a rebuild according to Kelly's vision that will ultimately make them as consistent as the Patriots. That is unless Kelly loses interest in the NFL down the road or gets fired because of two bad consecutive seasons during the transition.

He will be able to get rid of all players that are not versatile enough to fit his philosophy and start building up a team centered around scheme. Now the main difference to BB is that he has one specific philosophy in mind and wants to build a team around that whereas BB wants to build a hydra. But I still think that if you have a working concept and build according to that blueprint you will have sustainable success. At least more sustainable than the majority of other coaches that just run a copy of someone else's offense.

I think the Eagles are starting a rebuild according to Kelly's vision that will ultimately make them as consistent as the Patriots. That is unless Kelly loses interest in the NFL down the road or gets fired because of two bad consecutive seasons during the transition.

He will be able to get rid of all players that are not versatile enough to fit his philosophy and start building up a team centered around scheme. Now the main difference to BB is that he has one specific philosophy in mind and wants to build a team around that whereas BB wants to build a hydra. But I still think that if you have a working concept and build according to that blueprint you will have sustainable success. At least more sustainable than the majority of other coaches that just run a copy of someone else's offense.

Good post.

I think that Chip Kelly clearly has a vision, and the courage of his convictions. He is willing to dump big names and big contracts who don't fit that vision (DeSean Jackson, apparently McCoy). He now also has enough control over the personnel decisions to do that. Those 2 things alone put him in very rarified territory in today's NFL.

The 3rd piece is having enough sustained success and a good enough relationship with his owner to essentially give himself long-term security to follow through in his vision. If Kelly can achieve this, it will be interesting to see how his vision plays out.

Did the dolphins put the transition tag on clay? If so, too bad, I could have liked him on our roster next season.

If Phily does move up to get Mariota, Demarco Murray would be a great fit.:D

Did the dolphins put the transition tag on clay? If so, too bad, I could have liked him on our roster next season.

Yep, transition tagged. Maybe in 2016.. if we have a healthier cap situation.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back