PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Walsh's Times interview [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Walsh's Times Interview

So him saying that it worked 75 percent of the time is hearsay from what he heard from someone.

The way I understood it was that a QB said they already know what defense is going to be run 75% of the time. I took that to mean with out any assistance from tapes.

I'm going to be honest, the way that Walsh refused to say who the QB was leads me to believe it was Brady. That being said, it could have also been Friesz.

Many of the sports writers in town of various radio shows have said that since Bledsoe was the picture that appeared associated with the article that it is an insider newspaper trick to have a picture of the player associated with the story when they use it as an unnamed player. I am betting it was Bledsoe especially after his comments last week where he said he hadn't seen anything other than what we already know.

Last edited:

What I don't get is why the Times didn't ask him anything about why he got fired? If he is still upset at the Patriots for firing him?

YES! Of course, that would ruin his credibility. Everyone is looking at this guy like he's some sort of righteous do-gooder blowing the whistle on those evil, cheating Patriots. (Specter calling him "A fine young man" made me wanna puke.) In reality he's a disgruntled low-level ex-employee turned vindictive punk.

I'm going to be honest, the way that Walsh refused to say who the QB was leads me to believe it was Brady. That being said, it could have also been Friesz.

Well, we know it wasn't Bledsoe.

The talk with Daboll was ridiculous too. Hardly diabolical. He told a coach he'd seen something and Daboll says : what did you see. What's he expected to do, say "shhh, don't say anything" ?

I can see it now:

Daboll: You see anything down there?

Walsh: Well, yeah, coach, but I'm afraid some years down the road there might be a congressional investigation about things like this, so it's really best if I just clam up. You know, the Nurenburg precedents and all that! And I'm really just doing it to protect you and the rest of the coaching staff! Trust me on this.

Daboll: Yeah? Well, thanks, kid. We hadn't thought of that. We really appreciate what you're doing. Besides, it's just a game!

i'm looking forward to seeing Walsh's interview in Playboy magazine next month if he can't keep his current job.

Last edited:
Walsh confirms other teams cheat

Wasn't sure if this was posted yet - maybe that Specter investigation might be a good thing after all

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/s...ml?_r=2&pagewanted=1&ref=football&oref=slogin

WALSH TALKS TO THE TIMES, CONFIRMS THAT OTHER TEAMS CHEAT
Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2008, 11:27 p.m.

The New York Times received on Thursday yet another reward for a stream of fluff and puff regarding former Pats video employee Matt Walsh and his lawyer, Michael Levy.

The Times got the first print Q&A with Walsh.

Here are a few highlights. (The last one is the most important, in our view.)

Walsh justified his participation in the cheating scam because he apparently feared termination. Or the loss of his job. “I wasn’t going to question what they wanted me to do,” he said. “They became upset if we filmed a practice drill incorrectly. I didn’t want to imagine what the consequences would be if I refused to do something altogether.”

Also, it’s becoming increasingly clear that the Pats didn’t use the tapes of the defensive coaching signals in the same game. “There was no rush after I finished to get it to him right away. Because typically we wouldn’t be playing the team for months to weeks later on.

“At first, it was filming teams we were going to be playing again later that year. In 2001, it evolved to filming other teams, especially in the [AFC], that we thought we might either possibly see in the playoffs or see again another time. It was the kind of situation that being the third video guy, there wasn’t anything else I necessarily needed to shoot, especially for home games. So it was said, ‘Go ahead and shoot the signals.’”

Walsh says that, on at least one occasion, he noticed that an opposing team might be doing the same thing that the Pats were doing. “[T]here was one time that I was filming and another team had set up their third video guy right next to me in our stadium,” Walsh said. “And when our team was on defense, I looked over at him, and he was angling his camera toward our sideline. I didn’t ask him about it, because I was doing the same thing he was. But after the game, I went and told [former defensive coordinator] Romeo Crennel, and there were a couple other defensive coaches standing around in his office at the time. I’m not sure who overheard it or not. But I told Romeo, ‘The next time we play this team, you may want to change your signals, because I think they’re doing to us what we do to them.’”

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Walsh confirms other teams cheat

This will get ignored because it wasn't the Patriots. I guess :rolleyes:

Serious question: do you think when Romeo took the Browns job he was allowed to copy the files on all the other teams? Kind of like, Bill sending him on his way with a bonus to help him kickstart his career?

I don't care what this guy says, good or bad. He's not credible!

Serious question: do you think when Romeo took the Browns job he was allowed to copy the files on all the other teams? Kind of like, Bill sending him on his way with a bonus to help him kickstart his career?

Highly doubt it, especially since he went to a conference rival. Plus I think if he did we'd have heard about it by now through the investigation.

Wasn't sure if this was posted yet - maybe that Specter investigation might be a good thing after all

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/s...ml?_r=2&pagewanted=1&ref=football&oref=slogin

WALSH TALKS TO THE TIMES, CONFIRMS THAT OTHER TEAMS CHEAT
Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2008, 11:27 p.m.
The New York Times received on Thursday yet another reward for a stream of fluff and puff regarding former Pats video employee Matt Walsh and his lawyer, Michael Levy.

The Times got the first print Q&A with Walsh.

Here are a few highlights. (The last one is the most important, in our view.)

Walsh justified his participation in the cheating scam because he apparently feared termination. Or the loss of his job. “I wasn’t going to question what they wanted me to do,” he said. “They became upset if we filmed a practice drill incorrectly. I didn’t want to imagine what the consequences would be if I refused to do something altogether.”

Also, it’s becoming increasingly clear that the Pats didn’t use the tapes of the defensive coaching signals in the same game. “There was no rush after I finished to get it to him right away. Because typically we wouldn’t be playing the team for months to weeks later on.

“At first, it was filming teams we were going to be playing again later that year. In 2001, it evolved to filming other teams, especially in the [AFC], that we thought we might either possibly see in the playoffs or see again another time. It was the kind of situation that being the third video guy, there wasn’t anything else I necessarily needed to shoot, especially for home games. So it was said, ‘Go ahead and shoot the signals.’”

Walsh says that, on at least one occasion, he noticed that an opposing team might be doing the same thing that the Pats were doing. “[T]here was one time that I was filming and another team had set up their third video guy right next to me in our stadium,” Walsh said. “And when our team was on defense, I looked over at him, and he was angling his camera toward our sideline. I didn’t ask him about it, because I was doing the same thing he was. But after the game, I went and told [former defensive coordinator] Romeo Crennel, and there were a couple other defensive coaches standing around in his office at the time. I’m not sure who overheard it or not. But I told Romeo, ‘The next time we play this team, you may want to change your signals, because I think they’re doing to us what we do to them.’”
this guy makes himself sound as he is buddies with all the coaches and coordinators . why is he still a golf pro in hawaii ?

Cheatland Clowns!! 10-6*! Make them forfeit their division title!

Many of the sports writers in town of various radio shows have said that since Bledsoe was the picture that appeared associated with the article that it is an insider newspaper trick to have a picture of the player associated with the story when they use it as an unnamed player. I am betting it was Bledsoe especially after his comments last week where he said he hadn't seen anything other than what we already know.

Rob -
If you stopped and thought that through for a second, you'd know it wasn't Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe was the starter against Tamp. He would have been on the field during the game in 2000 and would have been the one receiving the play calls from Weis. So, it was either Brady or Freisz who was the back-up watching the other team's defensive coaches and letting Weis know (we know it wasn't Bishop because he wasn't the brightest bulb in the socket).

scene 136 from Joker's Lounge.....

Hey...Walsh you rat...stay outta my place...I know your face...

Here's what kills me about this entire mess and has from the get-go. And it really is a very, very simple idea. If there never was any advantage to be had by illegally taping the signals of opponents, what other motive could there ever have possibly been? Why bother to do something that is of no use? Repeatedly? Clandestinely? It ain't that hard to figure out. Because there WAS an advantage to be had.

And "misinterpretation of the rules" when Bill Belichick lives, breathes, eats and sleeps football...? C'mon, not only way weak, downright laughable. I have a great deal of respect for Patriots' fans that actually own all of this instead of trying to deflect it and explain it away. There are a handful. And, the league is just looking terrible here.

yeah...well...what part of "taping games is perfectly legal" are YOU struggling with, 4-12?

Here's what kills me about this entire mess and has from the get-go. And it really is a very, very simple idea. If there never was any advantage to be had by illegally taping the signals of opponents, what other motive could there ever have possibly been? Why bother to do something that is of no use? Repeatedly? Clandestinely? It ain't that hard to figure out. Because there WAS an advantage to be had.

And "misinterpretation of the rules" when Bill Belichick lives, breathes, eats and sleeps football...? C'mon, not only way weak, downright laughable. I have a great deal of respect for Patriots' fans that actually own all of this instead of trying to deflect it and explain it away. There are a handful. And, the league is just looking terrible here.

It's not of "no use". No one really knows how valuable it was to the coaching staff, but it sure falls somewhere between "nothing" and "zomg everything they achieved was becoz of it!!1!!11!". I think it helped them catch on opposing teams defensive tendencies and was a valuable tool in the scouting process, nothing more than that.

It's ridiculous to think that by stealing signals they knew exactly which play the DC was going to call so that Brady could audible into a proper formation at the line (which, by the way, he rarely ever does) to fully exploit the weaknessess of the opponent's defense. Just by watching film and observing the personnel on the field a Coach can have a pretty good idea of what defense the opposing team is going to run. That is their job, actually.
It's pretty foolish to think stealing signals enables Belichick to see Mike Shannahan point to his chest and think "oh s*** they're going to blitz a linebacker from the strong side! Quick, McDaniels, tell Brady to audible into a screen! NOW!" which is what most fans (and, sadly, analysts) apparently think happens.

I don't care what this guy says, good or bad. He's not credible!

AMEN. The bottom line here is that there was no walk through tape. That's all I needed to know. Anything else he has to say is shaky BS as far as I'm concerned.

this guy makes himself sound as he is buddies with all the coaches and coordinators . why is he still a golf pro in hawaii ?
You are giving Walsh too much 'status'.

He is an apprentice assistant golf pro. Not exactly quite like being a golf pro. At a guess - and it's strictly an uneducated guess - he gets to video tape golfers making practice swings and then turns those tapes over to an assistant golf pro who analyzes the tapes for the course golf pro. The real golf pro at the Kaanapali Golf Resort might not even be able to pick Walsh out of a line up. :p Or maybe Walsh gets to handle the club rental concession and sell buckets of used balls. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST